Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Self and Hasty  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2018 12:07:34(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Hello, 

I'm looking for a new role in Health and Safety located in South Wales or South-West England. I'm based in Cardiff but don't mind travel or relocate for a reflective salary.

I'm currently Health and Safety Officer and Quality Manager for an international trading company and manufacturer of survival equipment and first aid kits.

Previous experience includes;

-Environmental Health and Safety for Food manufacturing company. -CEO (Incl. Health and Safety RP) for a corporate team building events company. -CEO (Incl. Health and Safety RP) for a confectionary (food) company. -Quality Manager for Disney. -Quality Assurance Analyst for a pharmacutical company. -Quality Assurance Analyst, Lab technician and H&S for a medical device manufacturing company. -Security Officer (Incl. H&S Assistant) for civil nuclear industry.

Looking for a salary and package starting from £30k

pseudonym  
#2 Posted : 01 October 2018 12:15:49(UTC)
pseudonym

Self and Hasty - I'm in a similar position (and similar geographical location) - don't under sell yourself.

P.

thanks 1 user thanked pseudonym for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 01/10/2018(UTC)
SW  
#3 Posted : 02 October 2018 11:43:35(UTC)
SW

Hi - Within the last week there was a H&S Co-ordinator at Amazon, Swansea.vacancy advertised.  Not sure of the salary though.

thanks 1 user thanked SW for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 02/10/2018(UTC)
pseudonym  
#4 Posted : 08 October 2018 09:27:24(UTC)
pseudonym

Hi Self and Hasty - how is the job hunting going? Any good news yet?

P.

nic168  
#5 Posted : 15 October 2018 13:16:31(UTC)
nic168

have you tried an agency?  I am also in the South West where there are very few safety jobs advertised and safety professionals seem to be thin on the ground if IOSH are to believed.

Earlier this year  I realised I had to quit my previous job or go mad/ commit GBH. I really did not know how to go about selling myself, but I did need to work. I was approached by Principle People and they were really helpful, particularly when it came to putting Cv together. Couple of nibbles and a firm offer within weeks. 

PM me if you want more details

Self and Hasty  
#6 Posted : 15 October 2018 13:30:55(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Originally Posted by: pseudonym Go to Quoted Post

Hi Self and Hasty - how is the job hunting going? Any good news yet?

P.

A couple of bites but not netted anything yet, sick of filling in application forms, and tinkering with my CV. I haven't had any luck with agencies before, especially not for specific roles in H&S, EHS, QM etc. Still applying though, there are jobs out there, applying for 20+ a week, just not selling myself well enough I guess. I like where I'm working, I like my workload and challenges of the job but I just don't get paid enough to survive for the responsibilities and range of duties I'm performing...

Sigh 

Elfin Davy 09  
#7 Posted : 16 October 2018 09:00:39(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Self and Hasty

I hope you take this in the manner intended, but perhaps you need to take a closer look at your CV (and how you're promoting yourself), as it may be this which is holding you back ? 

In saying this, I'm obviously only going from what you've told us in your OP.  However, if I was looking at your CV as a potential employer there are a few things that would set alarms ringing to me (and possibly to other potential employers ?). 

The first - and probably most obvious - is that you state you've held two CEO level positions, yet you're now looking at a Health and Safety role paying £30k.  This doesn't look right, and (without further explanation) might lead to your CV being overlooked at the initial sifting stage.  Sadly - and however qualified you are - firms often don't want people at CEO level unless they're actually recruiting for a CEO.

The other main thing that would "concern" me is the lack of a defined career path.  With all due respect, your work history (as shown in your OP) suggests that you don't quite know whether you want to work in a Quality role, a Health and Safety role or whether you haven't quite decided yet.  You seem to have "bounced" from role to role, and in differing employment sectors (which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you can link transferable skills).  This may be a million miles from the truth, but - and bearing in mind I haven't seen your full CV - may be the way it's coming across ?

Hope this helps a little ?

Self and Hasty  
#8 Posted : 16 October 2018 11:14:13(UTC)
Self and Hasty

Originally Posted by: Elfin Davy 09 Go to Quoted Post

Self and Hasty

I hope you take this in the manner intended, but perhaps you need to take a closer look at your CV (and how you're promoting yourself), as it may be this which is holding you back ? 

In saying this, I'm obviously only going from what you've told us in your OP.  However, if I was looking at your CV as a potential employer there are a few things that would set alarms ringing to me (and possibly to other potential employers ?). 

The first - and probably most obvious - is that you state you've held two CEO level positions, yet you're now looking at a Health and Safety role paying £30k.  This doesn't look right, and (without further explanation) might lead to your CV being overlooked at the initial sifting stage.  Sadly - and however qualified you are - firms often don't want people at CEO level unless they're actually recruiting for a CEO.

The other main thing that would "concern" me is the lack of a defined career path.  With all due respect, your work history (as shown in your OP) suggests that you don't quite know whether you want to work in a Quality role, a Health and Safety role or whether you haven't quite decided yet.  You seem to have "bounced" from role to role, and in differing employment sectors (which isn't necessarily a bad thing if you can link transferable skills).  This may be a million miles from the truth, but - and bearing in mind I haven't seen your full CV - may be the way it's coming across ?

Hope this helps a little ?

Hi Elfin, 

Thank you very much for taking the time to look at and review my CV/Profile, and your feedback is appreciated.  I'm duel roled, I'm currently Quality Assurance Assistant Manager AND Health and Safety Officer for an international trading company, I love the work and the autonomy and the challenges I face each day, and I love the positive changes I've made to the company and how I'm evidently changing the culture and outlook and making the sites safer... but I don't feel at all secure here, they have a high turn over of staff and the infrastructure is very fragile. Also they pay me significantly less than I'm worth. The Managing Director roles I had were for my own companies, both successful but I ended both for different reasons, mainly that at my peak I was only breaking even, my best year for my corporate team building events company my takings were only £32k So that's why I'm happy/okay for a lower level base salary. I've applied for the higher level salaries CEO £40-50-60k but never had inteviews for those. perhaps because of the issues you've raised. I haven't a clear career path that's true, I'm aiming for Health and Safety because it's what I know best and it's what I'm good at but I seem to keep getting sucked into Quality roles, which I don't mind because I'm also very good at that, I'm an expert in ISO:9001:2015 according to the LRQA inspector!

I've worked in a variety of sectors, Food, Pharmacutical, manufacturing, events management, chemical, etc. and I think that shows my flexibility and transferable skills, however I can also see how it may make me look less than reliable or unstable etc.  Not sure exactly how to sell myself, I wish I could just convince my MD to pay me the missing £5-7k but as that's unlikely I have to find something new. Thanks for your input, it was valuable.  

Clark34486  
#9 Posted : 16 October 2018 11:16:19(UTC)
Clark34486

I'm looking for a SHE Business Partner to work in my team (South West, Plymouth)

DM me if you would like to submit a CV

thanks 1 user thanked Clark34486 for this useful post.
Self and Hasty on 16/10/2018(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09  
#10 Posted : 16 October 2018 11:44:37(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

No problem (..and good luck with Clark34486's vacancy should you decide to apply)