Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dhally  
#1 Posted : 21 November 2018 10:18:00(UTC)
dhally

Good morning

We have someone at work that carries an epipen due to a severe nut allergy.The question I have is do her work collegues have to be trained in the use of such equipment in case of a seizure? and would there be a training course in this procedure?

Edited by user 21 November 2018 10:19:11(UTC)  | Reason: spelling mistake

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 21 November 2018 10:55:07(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: dhally Go to Quoted Post

Good morning

We have someone at work that carries an epipen due to a severe nut allergy.The question I have is do her work collegues have to be trained in the use of such equipment in case of a seizure? and would there be a training course in this procedure?

It should alway be encourged that the IP administered the injection themself where possible, she should know when from past experince/symptoms, however that may not be possible if left too late.

First aiders are trained in how to adminster epipens, so providing you have enough first aid cover I wouldnt think anything else (training wise) will be needed.

George

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 21 November 2018 11:19:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

EpiPens and training have been subject to several posts on the forum as have the data protection issues around disclosing medical information on an employee to First-Aiders and other collegaues e.g.

http://forum.iosh.co.uk/posts/t127392-Epipen-s

http://forum.iosh.co.uk/posts/t116599-Administering-adrenalin--epipen

Whilst I empathise with those with allergies the swathed in cotton wool society we appear to be developing is making the whole of society party to what is an individuals condition - one which they are quite confident in controlling for themselves by the time they are working adults.

If this is about reasonable adjustment and inclusion where are similar questions around epilepsy, diabetes etc.?

Let the employee (if they wish) discuss their condition and treatment with their colleagues as they would with family, friends and acquaintances outside of the work environment.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 21 November 2018 11:19:17(UTC)
Roundtuit

EpiPens and training have been subject to several posts on the forum as have the data protection issues around disclosing medical information on an employee to First-Aiders and other collegaues e.g.

http://forum.iosh.co.uk/posts/t127392-Epipen-s

http://forum.iosh.co.uk/posts/t116599-Administering-adrenalin--epipen

Whilst I empathise with those with allergies the swathed in cotton wool society we appear to be developing is making the whole of society party to what is an individuals condition - one which they are quite confident in controlling for themselves by the time they are working adults.

If this is about reasonable adjustment and inclusion where are similar questions around epilepsy, diabetes etc.?

Let the employee (if they wish) discuss their condition and treatment with their colleagues as they would with family, friends and acquaintances outside of the work environment.

Kate  
#5 Posted : 21 November 2018 13:39:01(UTC)
Kate

I completed a first aid at work course last week so I can confirm that this is now included in at least some training (it hasn't been on previous courses I've done).

The training involved a training model of Epi-Pen which had no needle or drug but otherwise had the same mechanism so you could get practice in using it.  It is very simple to use but the training was worthwhile in giving me the confidence to use it.

Mark-W  
#6 Posted : 22 November 2018 08:27:40(UTC)
Mark-W

As a firsty aid instructor, it's covered on the 3 day First Aid at Work but not covered on my Emergency First Aid at Work course. We have a strict sylabus to follow. I can and do attach an interest period on at the end of the EFAW course to cover it if needed or requested.