Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Sbjm  
#1 Posted : 11 December 2018 15:14:07(UTC)
Sbjm

Can any one advise if cleapps hazcards are deemed as suitable and sufficient to use as risk Assessments under COSHH in school science lessons or would it be expected for schools to carry out separate assessments for hazardous substances. Thanks
A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 11 December 2018 16:45:08(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Cleapps Hazcards are more like simplified SDS than an actual risk assessment. They describe the hazards associated with a particular reagent and advise on how it should be handled. The problem is that people don’t work with single reagents but use them in experiments involving several reagents and a process such as heating them, mixing together etc. This is where the risk arises. You may need to take into account things like presence of naked flames (which I know comes under DSEAR but it is more convenient to deal with this in a single risk assessment process) and how well ventilated the room is etc.  So I would suggest that you need a risk assessment for each experiment you carry out in a particular lab.

example of  a Cleaps Hazcard  here http://science.cleapss.org.uk/resource/SSS060-Ethanol.pdf

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 11/12/2018(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09  
#3 Posted : 11 December 2018 16:51:38(UTC)
Elfin Davy 09

Looking at it purely from the viewpoint that a COSHH risk assessment considers the task involved in using chemicals, I would suggest that the cleapps hazcards be treated as the SDS for the product being used, and that COSHH risk assessments would still be needed to justify how the product is being used and for what purpose. 

However, that's only my opinion from an industry perspective, and maybe someone who actually works in the education sector might be better placed to give you a definitive answer.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 11 December 2018 16:59:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

Having followed the link provided by AK I would be very disappointed to have paid for these.

GHS07 (Exclamation Mark) is not "HARM" as in harmful - it is the one pictogram issued by the UN which covers Physical, Health and Environmental Hazard

They do look like a generic SDS and nothing like an assessment

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 11 December 2018 16:59:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

Having followed the link provided by AK I would be very disappointed to have paid for these.

GHS07 (Exclamation Mark) is not "HARM" as in harmful - it is the one pictogram issued by the UN which covers Physical, Health and Environmental Hazard

They do look like a generic SDS and nothing like an assessment

Sbjm  
#6 Posted : 11 December 2018 17:25:44(UTC)
Sbjm

Thanks for all the advice.
nic168  
#7 Posted : 14 December 2018 09:57:58(UTC)
nic168

Sbjm- The Cleaps website used to link to a lot of useful resources for teachers, IIRC there is a section for risk assessment. I no longer have access rights so cannot check or send you a link.

Around here the schools use something called "evolve" for risk assessments, it may be worth looking tfor something similar in your area.

The HSE have a section on guidance for school laboratorieshttp://www.hse.gov.uk/education/labguide.htmwhich may help.