Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CT1974  
#1 Posted : 07 January 2019 13:12:53(UTC)
CT1974

Hi all im looking to do an environmental course this year,  not sure wether to go for nebosh or iema.

Can anyone give feedback on which course is best?

Regards

Swygart25604  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2019 16:59:15(UTC)
Swygart25604

Hi,

I guess it depends what sort of thing you are involved in, work-wise, or what you want to get out of it (or get into). And what level you want or are at; certificate or diploma?

I'd suggest reviewing the syllabuses of both bodies to start with. IEMA things tend to be slanted towards things like sustainability and newer thinking; NEBOSH tends to be more industrial more towards pollution prevention and mitigation. Although this is a relatively simplistic attempt at distinction, its probably not far off.

Again, the old assignments vs exams question rears its head here too. I'm not too sure if employers have any real idea of the value of either in order that you can make a distinction as to which way to go. Any requirement an employer might have from an environmental perspective is usually couched in terms of one's familiarity with ISO 14001.

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

Kate  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2019 19:10:02(UTC)
Kate

I recently did the IEMA Foundation Certificate.  As suggested above it was very into wider sustainability issues.  It wasn't hard, it was interesting and I enjoyed it.

To meet my next professional goal in environment I have a choice to make between the full IEMA Certificate and the NEBOSH environmental Diploma.  Now, frankly, the NEBOSH Diploma in OSH was the hardest thing I ever studied for (and I have a higher degree).  I don't want to put myself through so much pain ever again, so for me, it is going to be IEMA.

All kudos to anyone who is prepared to endure NEBOSH.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
chris42 on 11/01/2019(UTC)
George_Young  
#4 Posted : 11 January 2019 07:12:54(UTC)
George_Young

I recently completed the NEBOSH Environmental Certificate, and must admit its the hardest course I have completed and im at a diploma level now and currently studying a masters.

I completed the NEBOSH general certificate and fire certs at first time of asking. however for the Environmental, it took me 2 attempts to pass both parts.

chris42  
#5 Posted : 11 January 2019 09:14:49(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: George_Young Go to Quoted Post

I recently completed the NEBOSH Environmental Certificate, and must admit its the hardest course I have completed and im at a diploma level now and currently studying a masters.

I completed the NEBOSH general certificate and fire certs at first time of asking. however for the Environmental, it took me 2 attempts to pass both parts.

If you don't mind me asking, was there specific elements you found difficult ?

Swygart25604  
#6 Posted : 11 January 2019 10:39:17(UTC)
Swygart25604

I've got both NEBOSH Diplomas and I did the Environmental one first, because that's they way my job responsibilities and circumstances fell at the time. The job I had was managing a Permitted site and so I had a lot of study material in the workplace to relate to. Consequently, it was very relevant for me and what I've done subsequently. The thing I found most difficult about it was the relatively arcane, random and unstructured nature of environmental law, etc. Also, some people on my course seemed to find it easier if they had more of a scientific knowledge base from which to work; luckily I was one.

ploo251  
#7 Posted : 11 January 2019 15:46:07(UTC)
ploo251

I went for the IEMA Environmental Management Certificate. I chose this as whenever you look at Environmental jobs, it's always IEMA qualifcations they ask for. For Health and Safety jobs they look for NEBOSH. NEBOSH isn't recognised so much in the environmental world and vice-versa.

thanks 1 user thanked ploo251 for this useful post.
Kate on 12/01/2019(UTC)
PIKEMAN  
#8 Posted : 15 January 2019 17:27:13(UTC)
PIKEMAN

Having taught both IEMA and NEBOSH Environmental qulaifications, I would state that IEMA is more rigorous and is therefore the "Gold standard" for employers seeking competence in Environmental Managers.

Elbailer  
#9 Posted : 16 January 2019 20:58:47(UTC)
Elbailer

If you already have experience in an environment or sustainability role you can apply for Practitioner Membership directly with IEMA. This involves a one hour online multiple choice exam and a written assesment.  If you complete the NEBOSH Environmental Diploma, you also achieve the Practitioner status.

I achieved PIEMA as I had completed the old open assessment and "transferred" over to the PIEMA membership category.  I have done the NEBOSH Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety, and have now enrolled in the NEBOSH Environmental Management Diploma (because I am clearly a glutton for punishment lol).