Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Daspey  
#1 Posted : 11 January 2019 16:34:12(UTC)
Daspey

Hello Everyone I’ve been browsing the forum and found some really useful information to queries I’ve had myself. Now for my first post. I currently work for Jaguar Land Rover where I have been for just over 8 years. In 2016 I was given the extra responsibility of group h&s representative alongside my regular role of production operative. It was a rather minor role but sparked an interest in health and safety all the same. This interest led me to self fund and undertake The NEBOSH General Certificate for which I passed and was awarded my certificate August 2018. I am currently studying for the construction certificate via distance learning and hope to pass Summer 2019. This leads me to my current job search. I am looking to take those all important first steps in what will hopefully turn out to be a long and successful career in h&s. I am very open minded In terms of role and industry just as long as I can learn on the job and gain valuable experience. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in anticipation. Dave
Igorcarter09  
#2 Posted : 25 January 2019 13:24:50(UTC)
Igorcarter09

Hi Dave, 

First of all, get in touch with  H&S recruitment agencies and seek some advice  regarding  role suitability, sectors entry routes and career prospects. Also, review your CV and tie as many past experiences to H&S as you can-helps to stand out from the crowd. I guess you are aiming at construction sector, which can be a bit tough without previous  experience. However, I have known a hand full of people that landed advisory roles with almost no previous experiences in construction. In my opinion most recruiters look at NEBOSH quals and nothing else. There are few corporate safety roles that dont require technical knowledge and is fairly well paid. 

Daspey  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2019 13:34:06(UTC)
Daspey

Originally Posted by: Igorcarter09 Go to Quoted Post

Hi Dave, 

First of all, get in touch with  H&S recruitment agencies and seek some advice  regarding  role suitability, sectors entry routes and career prospects. Also, review your CV and tie as many past experiences to H&S as you can-helps to stand out from the crowd. I guess you are aiming at construction sector, which can be a bit tough without previous  experience. However, I have known a hand full of people that landed advisory roles with almost no previous experiences in construction. In my opinion most recruiters look at NEBOSH quals and nothing else. There are few corporate safety roles that dont require technical knowledge and is fairly well paid. 

Interesting. Many thanks.