Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TCM41  
#1 Posted : 14 January 2019 15:18:36(UTC)
TCM41

Hi All, 

Inital plan was to proceed to my diploma (arguably more academic route) over the NVQ lvl 5 and then progress to a MSc. This plan was likely to be self funded however my company are willing in the near future to put me on the NVQ level 5. 

Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth i'll gladly take the NVQ lvl 5 as its recognised by employers and will get my CMIOSH but will it get me a spot on a masters course in the future? 

I would say I fall somewhere inbetween academic and practacall and can apply my self to either. I dont have a huge amount of academic education behind me so i wont lie, a MSc would be a huge accomplishment and a somewhat of a massive F you to the haterz. haha.

Is a MSc once your at diploma/NVQ lvl 5 roles etc even worth it career wise i wonder?

Any opinions/advice would be super!

Thank you thank you :) 

George_Young  
#2 Posted : 14 January 2019 15:30:18(UTC)
George_Young

Im not sure the NVQ 5 will meet the requirements for a Msc, For the masters I am doing, these are the entry requirements;

Either a science or management-based Bachelors degree (2:2) or international equivalent, or one of the following:

• NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety or Environmental Management
  • NEBOSH International Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety or Environmental Management or equivalent

Applicants should be practising health, safety and/or environmental professionals or be employed within an industrial or commercial environment and able to show that they can undertake health, safety and environmental based assignments and a research project at their workplace.

WatsonD  
#3 Posted : 14 January 2019 17:39:28(UTC)
WatsonD

The NVQ level 5 is an assessment of you within your job role rather than a learning qualification. It will get you to GradIOSH status and lead to chartered. You wont learn much more than you already know but it will move you up the competency ladder in terms of qualifications.

The MSc will not gain you a higher accreditation with IOSH, but may be a draw for future employers - so check out a few ads and see whether the roles you want to go for desire this. That said in my experience it tends to be roles that want someone with a science background.

There is of course, also the NCRQ. It is a level 6 like the diploma and it will involve learning without the examinations, and is assessed in a similar vein to the NVQ.

However, whichever way you decide to go I am sure that with your experience and by speaking with the university they would probably accpet you onto the MSc should you wish to proceed with that further down the line.

HSE Chris Wright  
#4 Posted : 14 January 2019 19:12:42(UTC)
HSE Chris Wright

I Hold the NVQ5 and proceeded onto a Msc no problem as I have sufficient experience in the indusrty. My Msc is in Process Safety Engineering. Universitys want money, trust me they will accept you.

Frank1970  
#5 Posted : 14 January 2019 20:05:45(UTC)
Frank1970

Speak to the Uni. Some will accept the Level 5 with a mixture of experience.  I'm able to proceed on the NVQ Level 5, although I do have CMIOSH. I'm in two minds whether or not to proceed as I can't foresee it benefiting my career. 

HSE Chris Wright  
#6 Posted : 14 January 2019 23:00:07(UTC)
HSE Chris Wright

Also, as to your question regarding the career aspect of it, it really depends on your future goal. if you wish to enhance your prospects of obtaining a job with a very high profile company then maybe yes. you could argue it could gain you a few extra pounds in salary but, if you are doing a Msc in something that you are already doing day in, day out then maybe it is not worth while considering the expense. 

For myself I as a general consultant wanted to add another string to my bow so to speak and chose process safety engineering.

Originally Posted by: TCM41 Go to Quoted Post

Hi All, 

Inital plan was to proceed to my diploma (arguably more academic route) over the NVQ lvl 5 and then progress to a MSc. This plan was likely to be self funded however my company are willing in the near future to put me on the NVQ level 5. 

Not one to look a gift horse in the mouth i'll gladly take the NVQ lvl 5 as its recognised by employers and will get my CMIOSH but will it get me a spot on a masters course in the future? 

I would say I fall somewhere inbetween academic and practacall and can apply my self to either. I dont have a huge amount of academic education behind me so i wont lie, a MSc would be a huge accomplishment and a somewhat of a massive F you to the haterz. haha.

Is a MSc once your at diploma/NVQ lvl 5 roles etc even worth it career wise i wonder?

Any opinions/advice would be super!

Thank you thank you :) 

TCM41  
#7 Posted : 15 January 2019 07:33:47(UTC)
TCM41

Awesome replies! 

Thank you all :) 

ScottRoberts1995  
#8 Posted : 16 January 2019 09:27:53(UTC)
ScottRoberts1995

Originally Posted by: HSE Chris Wright Go to Quoted Post

I Hold the NVQ5 and proceeded onto a Msc no problem as I have sufficient experience in the indusrty. My Msc is in Process Safety Engineering. Universitys want money, trust me they will accept you.

Couldn't agree more with the last part of that comment.

It all depends where you decide to do your MSc, there are some universitys who will struggle to fill their courses. It is a numbers game for most and this means that they will lower the entry requirements to get the numbers for the fear that the course will be stopped.

I'm coming to the end of my MSc at the University of South Wales and these were the entry requirements:

A good Honours degree in a relevant subject, or an appropriate professional qualification, or an HNC/HND with adequate managerial experience.

The course welcomes international applicants and requires an English level of IELTS 6.0 with a minimum of 5.5 in each component or equivalent.

jwk  
#9 Posted : 16 January 2019 09:52:53(UTC)
jwk

As far as career goes I can only really judge from my own experience. I have Dip2OSH as my highest qualification. I have headed up H&S for one large and two very large NGOs, two of which are very much household names and about as high-profile as a charity can get. So from my experience a Masters wouldn't have helped me at all in my career. However, it could depend on what field you want to work in, but I would say that knowledge of your chosen industry is probably more important than your H&S knowledge. Core skills in management, such as communication, influencing, coaching, listening and the like, count for a lot too

John

Edited by user 16 January 2019 11:56:40(UTC)  | Reason: Maybe I need to do a typing course