Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bod212  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2019 08:03:52(UTC)
bod212

Does anybody have any views/ opinions/ pointers on how (or indeed if) CBD oil should be managed in the sphere of work?

grader  
#2 Posted : 16 January 2019 08:47:48(UTC)
grader

Originally Posted by: bod212 Go to Quoted Post

Does anybody have any views/ opinions/ pointers on how (or indeed if) CBD oil should be managed in the sphere of work?

Just some thoughts...

My understanding is that CBD oil is a non pyscho-active substance, despite the connotatations.

I would request that the user should make their line management / HR aware of any health conditions and of any medication they were using, so that work tasks could be assessed accordingly and a chance for any appropriate support to be offered by the employer.  

sidestep45  
#3 Posted : 16 January 2019 12:33:37(UTC)
sidestep45

I'm with Grader on this one over the counter CBD oil is a "food supplement" with no acknowledge medical benefits, basicaly the currently favoured snake oil and needs no management unless it's supplied in an alcohol tincture like Rescue Remedy.

There are epilepisy pharmacuticals being developed and if your staff member is being medicated for this then subsume the CBD oil into the existing RA

Edited by user 16 January 2019 13:01:08(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 17 January 2019 09:11:33(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Cannabidiol or CBD is a substance that is derived from the cannabis plant.  It is used as a medical supplement (herbal remedy) for the treatment of anxiety, cognition and movement disorders, and pain. It is not classed as medicine as there is no clear evidence that it actually works.  

It is not on the list of Scheduled drugs nor is it classed as a psychoactive substance but it is illegal to sell crude preparations of this substances as they may contain THC which is the active ingredient in cannabis.  Reputable suppliers can prove it has less than 0.5% THC. Some other similar sounding cannabis extracts like cannabinodiol are Controlled Drugs (Schedule 1 Class A) and it is illegal to possess these.

John J  
#5 Posted : 18 January 2019 12:12:53(UTC)
John J

I recently tested it as part of our Substance of Abuse programme and it did not indicate on the test

MickD  
#6 Posted : 18 January 2019 14:39:50(UTC)
MickD

Originally Posted by: John J Go to Quoted Post

I recently tested it as part of our Substance of Abuse programme and it did not indicate on the test

I've also recently tested a colleague who wanted to take CBD oil to help with fybromyalgia pain, so ensured they did not operate any machinery during our trial, and conducted frequent drug/alcohol tests.

My findings were also that the oil did not flag up on one of the standard 10 panel tests.

At the very least, this has given us a reference point should an MHE operator decide to blame CBD for a non-negative drugs test.

Dave5705  
#7 Posted : 19 January 2019 17:09:28(UTC)
Dave5705

Mick, might I ask, what form do these tests take and how do you administer them/assess them?

John J  
#8 Posted : 22 January 2019 11:09:34(UTC)
John J

Originally Posted by: Dave5705 Go to Quoted Post

Mick, might I ask, what form do these tests take and how do you administer them/assess them?

I can't answer for Mick but I tested it on the Draeger Drug test 5000 which is a saliva test

MickD  
#9 Posted : 23 January 2019 14:14:12(UTC)
MickD

Originally Posted by: John J Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Dave5705 Go to Quoted Post

I can't answer for Mick but I tested it on the Draeger Drug test 5000 which is a saliva test

I tested using a Synlabs 10 panel urine test - similar in concept to a pregnancy test, from a willing volunteer who did not operate machinery onsite - so there was little risk should the test detect THC use. I carried out a series of tests over a 2 week period, and not one resulted in a non-negative result.

Edited by user 23 January 2019 14:14:52(UTC)  | Reason: Sausage fingers

ForumScreenName  
#10 Posted : 25 January 2019 20:54:54(UTC)
ForumScreenName

CBD oil is a supplement which is really good for pain relief and dealing with different mental disorders like stress, anxiety, insomnia. So, you need to manage it according to your needs. Read different reviews on oils to find out how they work. This one, for instance, https://greenshoppers.co.uk/reviews/holland-and-barrett-cbd-oil-review/.

stevedm  
#11 Posted : 26 January 2019 07:40:34(UTC)
stevedm

https://www.who.int/medi...d-substances/5.2_CBD.pdf

WHO report into CBD oil for reference.
landy5277  
#12 Posted : 10 January 2020 12:29:11(UTC)
landy5277

hey there just joined. I am a user of medical marijuana (CBD oils in particular) to treat anxiety and depression and if it's hard pressed oils without the TCH component it's fine. My manager accepted it because he understand that using helps me stay high-functioning and allows me to do my job well.

MrB-Dalton  
#13 Posted : 11 January 2020 13:27:46(UTC)
MrB-Dalton

Using CBD will / may show a postitve for Cannabis in a urine test, there isn't a definite way to differentiate between CBD and THC (physoactive compound)

Having said this, most CBD oils contain a little THC. Look into Full Spectrum and Broad Spectrum. 

Allowing CBD is my opinion is a can of worms; the employee is responsible if the CBD was to contain THC however due to an unregulated market, we cannot be sure manufactuers are listing every compound the product  contains.

jmaclaughlin  
#14 Posted : 13 January 2020 09:53:12(UTC)
jmaclaughlin

In the Railway industry, presence of THC in pre employment/for cause or random Drug or Alcohol test, results in a immediate 5 year ban, there is an appeal process, but initial results are nearly always upheld.

Currently if you declare CBD use pre test, you would also fail as it is not yet medically approved.

Worth bearing in mind if you work on Network Rail/LU/DLR infrastructure/premises even as a sub contractor.

A Kurdziel  
#15 Posted : 13 January 2020 10:21:32(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I saw that this thread has come back after being quiet for about a year.

landy5277 looks like a spammer promoting their wares(note they make no distinction between CBD oil which is legal in the UK and medical cannabis whose legal status is more ambiguous)   and I have reported this as such.

habanavee  
#16 Posted : 19 January 2020 05:47:32(UTC)
habanavee

It's all speculation? This isn't a scientific study, it's someone's idea of what might be wrong with it. There are still articles like this that say using CBD some might have mild side effects when we've pretty much proven the opposite.

Just saying, if you're going to take an opinion to heart, make sure you look into it well.

johnmurray  
#17 Posted : 20 January 2020 07:07:03(UTC)
johnmurray

• Self-administration of over-the-counter bought CBD is increasingly
    popular and doctors and pharmacists should be aware of its potential adverse effects.
  • Somnolence (drowsiness), decreased appetite, diarrhoea and raised
    serum aminotransferases (liver enzymes) were side effects significantly
    associated with the use of an oral purified CBD solution (100mg/ml) (Epidiolex/Epidyolex®, GW Pharmaceuticals) in a meta-analysis of studies involving 550 patients with Lennox-Gastaut or Dravet syndrome.
  • Other effects found to occur very commonly in treated patients in
    CBD studies for Lennox-Gastaut or Dravet syndrome were vomiting, pyrexia and fatigue.
  • Reports of somnolence were more frequent in patients also receiving the antiepileptic clobazam.
  • Most serum aminotransferase elevations occurred in the first 30 days
    of treatment but some occurred up to 18 months after treatment
    initiation in clinical trials. This adverse effect is more likely to
    occur in a person who is also receiving valproate (an antiepileptic), higher doses of CBD and (to a lesser extent) clobazam.
  • Theoretically, moderate to severe impairment of kidney or liver
    function may reduce the clearance and/or excretion of CBD which could
    increase the risk of side effects occurring. The SPC for Epidyolex®
    advises that cannabidiol is used with caution in patients with moderate
    or severe hepatic impairment and recommends a lower starting dose in these patients.
  • Since the data available suggests that CBD interacts with cytochrome
    p450 enzymes, caution is recommended when CBD is co-administered with medications that are metabolised by this pathway.
  • Readers should consult the UKMi Q&A Cannabis based medicinal products potential drug interactions for further information on potential drug interactions.
  • CBD-containing products are commonly advertised to be free from
    tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) but have the potential to contain traces of
    THC, even after the manufacturing process. THC has psychotropic properties and may contribute to potential adverse effects.
  • The purity of individual products may differ, possibly due to
    undisclosed ingredients or variation in content of CBD (as well as THC),
    which will have an effect on potential adverse effects or drug
    interactions. Anyone wishing to use a CBD containing supplement should ensure they obtain their supply from a reputable source
https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/cannabidiol-oil-potential-adverse-effects-and-drug-interactions/

thanks 1 user thanked johnmurray for this useful post.
habanavee on 21/01/2020(UTC)
johnmurray  
#18 Posted : 20 January 2020 07:10:46(UTC)
johnmurray

Spam, spam, spam, spam...wonderful spam..

habanavee  
#19 Posted : 21 January 2020 03:59:33(UTC)
habanavee

Originally Posted by: johnmurray Go to Quoted Post

Spam, spam, spam, spam...wonderful spam..

I would like to appreciate your concern but if it makes any sense. 

stevedm  
#20 Posted : 21 January 2020 10:11:53(UTC)
stevedm

Look up Monty Python and Wonderful Spam...

habanavee  
#21 Posted : 22 January 2020 11:59:03(UTC)
habanavee

Moderator has to remove that post tho.