Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Doyle878  
#1 Posted : 29 January 2019 12:40:25(UTC)
Doyle878

Hi,

I am looking for some advice or guidance to assist me in starting my career within HSE.

I have self-funded the NEBOSH Nat Gen Cert and obtained TechIOSH Status. My career so far has been mixed, having worked with in finance for several years and as a contractor more recently.

I have experience within HSE due to my time working offshore in Oil and Gas - a year or so in surface well test - high pressure / high temperature environment and focus on HSE is increased due to nature of the work... 

Also had a further few trips offshore more recently, technically within a construction environment due to the rig not being live - at this time I assisted further within HSE for the team and few safety tours etc as well.

I am looking to move into a HSE role and further my qualifications by undertaking the NCRQ Diploma.

Any advice or a point in the right direction would be appreciated.

Thanks.

PIKEMAN  
#2 Posted : 31 January 2019 17:37:20(UTC)
PIKEMAN

The most common way to get a role in H&S is to do it as part of your job - doing Risk assessments etc, getting on the safety committee, being a safety rep, become the shift's go to H&S person  and so on. Slowly get more experience and gradually morph into the role. Then go for a H&S role - be prepared for a very junior position! I have taught the NEBOSH cert for years after a H&S managerial career and often get people who imagine that they will get the Cert one day, then change into a suit and tie or smart frock and POW you are a H&S professional. This is rare.............

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 09 February 2019 13:16:37(UTC)
peter gotch

Good advice from Pikeman and think about how to explain your understanding of risk issues from your various roles in your CV. That the risk issues might have been managed better should not be a negative (where you weren't responsible for sorting the problems) as long as you don't portray as slagging off named employers!

Melrose80086  
#4 Posted : 11 March 2019 12:19:25(UTC)
Melrose80086

Does the organisation you currently work with have a H&S department? If so, get in touch with them and say you'd be interested in shadowing one of their staff / helping out. It might lead to something more (say working one day a week to start with) which you can put on your CV. Ask if there are any projects they might need help with e.g. accident report for the last 5 years looking at trends etc as shows you're interested in the topic and willing to learn.

If there is no H&S department / employee then could offer to cover this perhaps (if it's a low risk environment) if they help you with funding towards other courses. I had my PG Certificate partially funded by the organisation I worked for previously as offered to take on the role for them. They may say no but nothing ventured and all that...

Good luck!

ian.mcnam@ntlworld.com  
#5 Posted : 21 March 2019 17:28:15(UTC)
ian.mcnam@ntlworld.com

Im in a similiar position, called an old contact who works on Oil Refinery.Lucky for me i got invited on board the SHE Team for a short duration shutdown. Got the chance to sit in high level safety meetings, had the opportunity to conduct audits on site. My mentor was very helpful throughout ,she gave great advice on how to conduct myself in a office environment which for somebody moving off the shop floor can be worrying! 

I consider myself lucky on this occassion as i wasnt expected to payed for my time!Ive also come away with more confidence and now understand which direction to pursue.

I wish you all the best for the future Doyle878.

Edited by user 21 March 2019 17:29:33(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

Safety Man 1  
#6 Posted : 27 April 2019 08:28:10(UTC)
Safety Man 1

All the best in looking for a carrier in HSE, unfortunaely you will come up against candidates with more qualifications, knowledge and experience.

As some have said gain more experience either shadowing or voluntary work, the NGC only gives you the basis ground.

Hope it turns out well for yourself remember we all have had to start at the first rung of the ladder, and after that you will find it easier.