Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BIrving  
#1 Posted : 05 February 2019 13:57:27(UTC)
BIrving

I have been a SHE advisor for 7+ years, I am currently completing the Level 5 Dip in Occupational Health and Safety, which I plan to have completed by May/June. After I have completed we are looking at taking a 3 month career break to go travelling.

On our return we will be looking to move to Devon or south Wales to be closer to family so would be looking at a new role.

I would like some advice as to if the 3 month career break between roles would be beneificial or would be a negative impact on my working career.

Appreciate any feedback.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 05 February 2019 15:44:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

Many decades ago gaps in employment were rare so invariably scrutinised by interviewers.

Unfortunately today with a more volatile labour market gaps are increasingly common, and if short duration fail to even get mentioned.

Easiest way to avoid prompting any consideration and discussion is by assigning years on a CV rather than full (or partial) dates.

Edited by user 05 February 2019 15:45:21(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 05 February 2019 15:44:50(UTC)
Roundtuit

Many decades ago gaps in employment were rare so invariably scrutinised by interviewers.

Unfortunately today with a more volatile labour market gaps are increasingly common, and if short duration fail to even get mentioned.

Easiest way to avoid prompting any consideration and discussion is by assigning years on a CV rather than full (or partial) dates.

Edited by user 05 February 2019 15:45:21(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 05 February 2019 16:08:15(UTC)
A Kurdziel

It depends entirely on the employer. Some like “plodders” who find a role and stick with it slowly progressing up the ladder. They like the steady type. Others like people who have moved about a bit have variety in their CV , changed job direction a couple of times to broaden their horizons who would see a gap 3 months as a positive and probably ask why only three months why not 3 years.

How do you tell which employer is which: if I knew that I’d be in my prefect job!  

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
Swygart25604 on 05/02/2019(UTC)
BIrving  
#5 Posted : 05 February 2019 16:34:13(UTC)
BIrving

Thank you for the feedback, I did surmise myself that in this day and age I would have thought a 3 month gap would stand out as I am aware of a lot of people taking a career break.

It is good to hear from other professionals as it has been a difficult decision to make.

Thanks again

Mr.Flibble2.0  
#6 Posted : 06 February 2019 13:46:18(UTC)
Mr.Flibble2.0

When I was 29 and been doing Safety for about 8-9 years I did very much the same. Quit my Job, sold my flat and took a year off travelling. Had no problems getting a job on my return and stated the break on my CV.

Its actually quite common these days and acceptable, as long as you can explain a gap on your CV its not seen as an issue.

Hsquared14  
#7 Posted : 06 February 2019 13:54:01(UTC)
Hsquared14

These days adult gap years and sabbaticals are more accepted and in some cases encouraged to give you more varied life experiences.  Have a great time, learn loads and come back ready to jump back into work mode with a venegance.

BIrving  
#8 Posted : 06 February 2019 14:44:51(UTC)
BIrving

This is very encouraging and I do plan to learn, experience new things and enjoy my trip.

peter gotch  
#9 Posted : 09 February 2019 13:02:25(UTC)
peter gotch

Think about the positives you could put into your CV FROM that 3 month break and then plan accordingly!

Dave5705  
#10 Posted : 09 February 2019 17:02:11(UTC)
Dave5705

Sounds like excellent CPD to me, I wish I could do it! Go for it and good luck.