Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Traceyannabanna  
#1 Posted : 12 June 2019 14:44:59(UTC)
Traceyannabanna

Hi, Would it be beneficial for someone to take the NEBOSH Fire Safety certificate having already obtained the NEBOSH Diploma? 

thanks 1 user thanked Traceyannabanna for this useful post.
mihai_qa on 24/07/2019(UTC)
jwk  
#2 Posted : 12 June 2019 15:25:56(UTC)
jwk

It would depend what you intended to do with it. If you intend to take on Fire Risk Assessments or have fire safety as a key part of your role then, yes, it would. At my last place but one we put our H&S advisers through the NEBOSH fire cert, they were all Dip holders (one of them actually had to do RM1 as she got her Dip in 1990... She was none too chuffed), and they all found it useful,

John

thanks 1 user thanked jwk for this useful post.
Traceyannabanna on 12/06/2019(UTC)
Traceyannabanna  
#3 Posted : 12 June 2019 15:36:21(UTC)
Traceyannabanna

Thank you. He was just querying whether most of the course content in the fire certificate would have been covered in the Dip. Thanks again

safetymanste  
#4 Posted : 13 June 2019 06:15:50(UTC)
safetymanste

Hi I am a diploma holder and have just completed the Fire Cert, I can confrim the cert goes into quite a bit more depth than the diploma module, If you need any more information please feel free to send pm

thanks 1 user thanked safetymanste for this useful post.
Traceyannabanna on 13/06/2019(UTC)
Traceyannabanna  
#5 Posted : 13 June 2019 07:47:02(UTC)
Traceyannabanna

Thank you.....He's decided to go for it :)

jodieclark1510  
#6 Posted : 13 June 2019 11:59:36(UTC)
jodieclark1510

I did the fire cert before my dip, definitely alot more detail covered in the cert. 

samcrowton  
#7 Posted : 22 July 2019 10:47:43(UTC)
samcrowton

On the topic of Fire Nebosh revision, does anyone have or know where to get any revision sort of Q/A flash cards to make it easier? i have read through the book, took numerous amounts of notes but nothing is sticking. Thanks in advance 

Edited by user 22 July 2019 10:48:30(UTC)  | Reason: didn't tick receive notifications via email

George_Young  
#8 Posted : 23 July 2019 06:18:44(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: samcrowton Go to Quoted Post

On the topic of Fire Nebosh revision, does anyone have or know where to get any revision sort of Q/A flash cards to make it easier? i have read through the book, took numerous amounts of notes but nothing is sticking. Thanks in advance 

When I was doing my NEBOSH fire certificate, I found the RRC revision guides very useful, also asks exam-type questions. with answers

https://www.rrc.co.uk/publications/study-materials/revision/nebosh-certificate.aspx

Good luck

SBH  
#9 Posted : 13 August 2019 13:45:51(UTC)
SBH

Try health and safety for beginners website

SBH

mihai_qa  
#10 Posted : 14 August 2019 07:59:08(UTC)
mihai_qa

Having gone through several certificates and diplomas, I believe there's value to each and every one of them, even if only as a refresher.

I would appreciate it if Nebosh would have a means to compile the certs into some form of a diploma (or credit transfer to one) and possibly expand on them in the future. Having it as an alternative route to level 6 through combined certs might prove to be a more proactive approach.

I still enjoy the process and the butterflies before the exam...they've managed to create an addictive way for adult education and I'm grateful for that.

I do feel that the international versions are a weird mashup of confusion that ultimately leads back to UK legislation and ACoP's. Seeing how most of H&S regs around the world mirror or are blatant copy-pastes from the UK regs, I really don't understand the need to "tweak" it to international standards. It just ends up being a salad of "you can use this, but in the UK we do this". 

Anyway, the Fire cert was fun, got my exam booked for october and I don't regret joining in on it.

SNS  
#11 Posted : 14 August 2019 21:18:43(UTC)
SNS

Originally Posted by: mihai_qa Go to Quoted Post

I would appreciate it if Nebosh would have a means to compile the certs into some form of a diploma (or credit transfer to one) and possibly expand on them in the future. Having it as an alternative route to level 6 through combined certs might prove to be a more proactive approach.

That wouldn't happen because the certificates are Level 3 and the Diploma is Level 6, not enough content  / depth in the certificate programmes to add up to Level 6.