Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Dave5705  
#1 Posted : 16 September 2019 09:52:54(UTC)
Dave5705

A post by GrandMoff recently prompted a question in my head. I know a few on here are about to start an MSc this year, myself included, so I ask this question of anyone who is currently in the middle of or has recently completed an MSc. (George?)

The traditional route to MSc or post-grad diploma is to complete an undergrad degree (BSc). For those embarking on an MSc via the L6 diploma route, I assume you are going to be working alongside students who have just completed 3 or 4 yrs, in excess of 3000 hrs of study on the subject while you have only perhaps a yr or 18 months and around 500 hrs of study. What is your experience with this? Did you find your knowledge lacking? Did it cause you any issues? What advantage did the degree students have, if any?

kind regards

thanks 1 user thanked Dave5705 for this useful post.
mihai_qa on 17/09/2019(UTC)
bxuxa  
#2 Posted : 16 September 2019 21:12:52(UTC)
bxuxa

Curious about the answers.

I think that will be more difficult for the ones, that don't come from an academic background, however,  I believe that is only a question of time.

mihai_qa  
#3 Posted : 17 September 2019 05:36:11(UTC)
mihai_qa

Great question to ask, I'm on a similar path and I must say the closer I get to the start date, it's starting to kick in. Would love to hear some opinions as well. 

@Dave: have you by any chance found an MSc that's only on occupational health? I think I've done enough safety studies to last me for a while. I looked at industrial hygiene but that's a bit out of my comfort zone at the moment.

Dave5705  
#4 Posted : 17 September 2019 07:50:28(UTC)
Dave5705

Originally Posted by: mihai_qa Go to Quoted Post

Great question to ask, I'm on a similar path and I must say the closer I get to the start date, it's starting to kick in. Would love to hear some opinions as well. 

@Dave: have you by any chance found an MSc that's only on occupational health? I think I've done enough safety studies to last me for a while. I looked at industrial hygiene but that's a bit out of my comfort zone at the moment.

Most of the Occupational Health ones I have seen seemed to be aimed at the medical/nursing profession, but I think Cardiff offer a distance learning MSc in Occupational Health which can be accessed by non-healthcare professionals like H&S, HR etc.

George_Young  
#5 Posted : 17 September 2019 14:41:00(UTC)
George_Young

I successfully got onto the University of Hull MSc in Occupational health, safety and environmental Management through the use of my NCRQ diploma. I'm not sure what route my fellow students have took, however, it was challenging at first to start writing academically. but I have so far been successful in my studies and found out yesterday I successfully completed year one.

thanks 1 user thanked George_Young for this useful post.
mihai_qa on 18/09/2019(UTC)
Dave5705  
#6 Posted : 17 September 2019 20:28:25(UTC)
Dave5705

Originally Posted by: George_Young Go to Quoted Post

I successfully got onto the University of Hull MSc in Occupational health, safety and environmental Management through the use of my NCRQ diploma. I'm not sure what route my fellow students have took, however, it was challenging at first to start writing academically. but I have so far been successful in my studies and found out yesterday I successfully completed year one.

Thanks George, I forgot yours is distance learning so I don't suppose you get to meet any of the others or find out much from them. Well done on the result though! Good to know.
George_Young  
#7 Posted : 17 September 2019 22:15:56(UTC)
George_Young

Hi Dave,  

I have connected with a few students on LinkedIn and I know that some have completed the NEBOSH diploma, so I'm guessing them were in the same position as me.

Adam Gorczak  
#8 Posted : 22 September 2019 22:01:49(UTC)
Adam Gorczak

I completed my diploma in Occupation Safety and Health. I thought I needed to do another two more years study on-line and work in the field to give my a better status.  Look to see what is required to see if any further study is needed and make a decision.  Keep up to date with all the relevant information and use the information you have learnt in your workplace as it will reduce accidents and increase your confidence as a health and safety professional. 

Ressler  
#9 Posted : 13 December 2019 02:02:31(UTC)
Ressler

Originally Posted by: Dave5705 Go to Quoted Post

A post by GrandMoff recently prompted a question in my head. I know a few on here are about to start an MSc this year, myself included, so I ask this question of anyone who is currently in the middle of or has recently completed an MSc. (George?) n 10.0.0.0.1

The traditional route to MSc or post-grad diploma is to complete an undergrad degree (BSc). For those embarking on an MSc via the L6 diploma route, I assume you are going to be working alongside students who have just completed 3 or 4 yrs, in excess of 3000  192.168.1.254 hrs of study on th hotmail.com e subject while you have only perhaps a yr or 18 months and around 500 hrs of study. What is your experience with this? Did you find your knowledge lacking? Did it cause you any issues? What advantage did the degree students have, if any?

kind regards

issue solved!!

Dave5705  
#10 Posted : 13 December 2019 06:56:08(UTC)
Dave5705

Originally Posted by: Ressler Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: Dave5705 Go to Quoted Post

A post by GrandMoff recently prompted a question in my head. I know a few on here are about to start an MSc this year, myself included, so I ask this question of anyone who is currently in the middle of or has recently completed an MSc. (George?) n 10.0.0.0.1

The traditional route to MSc or post-grad diploma is to complete an undergrad degree (BSc). For those embarking on an MSc via the L6 diploma route, I assume you are going to be working alongside students who have just completed 3 or 4 yrs, in excess of 3000  192.168.1.254 hrs of study on th hotmail.com e subject while you have only perhaps a yr or 18 months and around 500 hrs of study. What is your experience with this? Did you find your knowledge lacking? Did it cause you any issues? What advantage did the degree students have, if any?

kind regards

issue solved!!

Hello all. 

As this thread has been nudged back into life I thought I should comment, as I am now well into the MSc and am much better informed. The first thing I would say is that being an undergrad does not seem to be of any benefit at all, except that you understand the rules of writing in a style which, though you may not have used before, really doesn't take much time to get to grips with. It's not an obstacle, really.

My experience so far has been that for those who have come from a prescriptive and legislative route into H&S, it can be difficult to shake that off and answer questions using critical analysis and trying to understand why people do what they do. Most others on the course have their degree in some other subject, business, engineering or HR perhaps, and a general diploma (and genuine interest) in H&S. My diploma was in applied H&S, not nebosh, and I am finding it much easier than most others as the content is familiar to me (not because I am clever!) But one or two who admitted they struggled with their nebosh diploma are really struggling with this.

And the workload is intense! If you intend doing this and you are working (so a part-time student) give up your social life, your family life, in fact life! Every waking hour is spent in your head, thinking, reflecting, creating and scribbling down ideas or researching. ( No time for forums sadly) I have never enjoyed myself so much, and I would recommend it to anyone, even after months of FMEA's, fault trees and analysis. I guess it's not for everyone, but don't think that you need a degree to do post-grad. If you've proved yourself at level 6, you can do level 7. The only difference is there is no spoon-feeding. You are given information, the rest is up to you.

Good luck to you all, seasons greeting etc. 

Dave

Edited by user 13 December 2019 06:57:28(UTC)  | Reason: sprelling

thanks 1 user thanked Dave5705 for this useful post.
bxuxa on 01/01/2020(UTC)
Muhammad Atif Javeed  
#11 Posted : 29 December 2019 04:28:53(UTC)
Muhammad Atif Javeed

Originally Posted by: bxuxa Go to Quoted Post

Curious about the answers.

I think that will be more difficult for the ones, that don't come from an academic background, however,  I believe that is only a question of time.

i have inquired from one university located in UK for the masters degree as i have also completed my level 6 diploma in occupational health and safety , so yes i am eligible for direct entry of MSC In occupational health and safety but i have university degree from my home country