Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
prads  
#1 Posted : 25 September 2019 12:50:13(UTC)
prads

I am looking for any guidance regarding the time period within which an injury must be reported by the individual to call it as a work-placed-injury.

We have a case where the technician reports to hospital at night after almost 5 hours past the duty hours and claims it to be an injury caused during the doing a job. There are no witnesses or information to the supervisor about this incident. The doctor gives him pain killer and one day sick leave. Now we have reasons to suspect that the injury caused was outside duty hours as the injured persons statment have some inconsistencies.

Our regulators insisting it to classify as LTI, as the medical report mentions the version of the injured.

Is there a time-frame within which the individual must report to hospital to qualify that to be called as an occupational injury?

Appreciate your support.

Regards,

PN

HSSnail  
#2 Posted : 25 September 2019 12:55:12(UTC)
HSSnail

Simple answer is no. I would be asking if it was reasonable for this person to carry on with the injury without realising how bad it was. That’s not always as easy as it sounds – I broke my ankle a few years ago (not work related) and walker around for 6 hours insisting it was just sprained until I relented and went off to casualty – spent the next 8 weeks in pot!

stevedm  
#3 Posted : 26 September 2019 08:04:49(UTC)
stevedm

You can't do anything about the report...you just need to report it and carry out a thorough investigation...I had one where I attended a pub on saturday night (Bank Paramedic) and treated a guy for a dislocated shoulder and twisted ankle, he being a little worse for the drink...I went to a client on the Monday only to find the same guy reported it as a workplace injury that morning!...when I interviewed him his face was a picture!...

Hsquared14  
#4 Posted : 26 September 2019 12:54:17(UTC)
Hsquared14

You have to take it on face value until and unless your investigation proves otherwise.  As other people have pointed out there is no time limit with regard to going to hospital following an injury.  I walked on a broken ankle for 24hours before going to A&E as I thought it was just a sprained ankle (yes I know but I'm HARD!!) and plenty of injuries take time to develop to a point where the person can't carry on any further especially if swelling is present.  Report it, investigate it and take it from there but you can't claim that a gap of 5 hours before seeking medical treatment means it can't be work related!

thanks 1 user thanked Hsquared14 for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 26/09/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 26 September 2019 20:42:38(UTC)
Roundtuit

Looking at user profile listing UAE does a UK regulatory response fit the question? The responses so far fit with UK law.
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 26 September 2019 20:42:38(UTC)
Roundtuit

Looking at user profile listing UAE does a UK regulatory response fit the question? The responses so far fit with UK law.