Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bazzer  
#1 Posted : 30 September 2019 13:17:32(UTC)
Bazzer

A client has purchased two new metal working machines; both come with a declaration of conformity, but do not state the standards that the machines are manufactured to; only states the Machinery and EMC directives

Having looked on line, it doesn't say it is compulsory to quote the standards, but on a HSE machinery risk assessment course I attended, it says they must included the standards. Does anyone know what should be included

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 30 September 2019 14:13:09(UTC)
Roundtuit

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/eudr/2006/42/contents

Declaration to the appropriate (New Apporoach) directives is mandatory - standards are only cited "where applicable" see Annex II - Declarations

So it would depend what type of metal working machine e.g. EN ISO 16093 Machine Tools - Safety - Sawing machines for cold metal is a specific standard for a type of machine.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 30 September 2019 14:13:09(UTC)
Roundtuit

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/eudr/2006/42/contents

Declaration to the appropriate (New Apporoach) directives is mandatory - standards are only cited "where applicable" see Annex II - Declarations

So it would depend what type of metal working machine e.g. EN ISO 16093 Machine Tools - Safety - Sawing machines for cold metal is a specific standard for a type of machine.

Bazzer  
#4 Posted : 30 September 2019 14:46:26(UTC)
Bazzer

Roundtuit

One of the machines is a double mitre saw for cutting alluminium extrusions

The other is a CNC machining centre that cuts, drills, mills aluminium extrusions

paul.skyrme  
#5 Posted : 30 September 2019 18:10:34(UTC)
paul.skyrme

I’m currently in a hotel restaurant several hundred miles from home (office), so I don’t have good internet access and my library with me, so I can’t check the list of c-type standards against the equipment you cite, sorry. Whilst it is best practice to list the standards on the Declaration of Conformity (DoC), it is not essential, because the standards are voluntary for compliance. The machine builder can chose their own solution outside the harmonised standards (HD’s), to meet the Essential Health and Safety Requirements (EHSR’s). Not withstanding, the purchaser is required to verify that the equipment complies with the EHSR’s prior to use, PUWER Reg 10. Having the HD’s listed on the DoC makes this more complex, as it will need a lot more detailed assessment to verify. There may be C-Type standards that apply, it would be down to the machine builder to tell you which ones they consider applicable, and then review the equipment against these. Failing the application or existence of c-type standards for the product, then it is down to the application of B-Type standards, & A-type standard. This is why it is valuable having the standards the OEM has applied to the equipment on the DoC. Firstly I feel you should contact the machine OEM with information you have and ask them to clarify and expand on this. Hopefully they will give you a DOC with the information you require. Make sure though that everything else is complete and compliant.
thanks 2 users thanked paul.skyrme for this useful post.
Bazzer on 01/10/2019(UTC), SJP on 01/10/2019(UTC)