Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Derham900500  
#1 Posted : 01 October 2019 08:23:44(UTC)
Derham900500

Is it possible to hand over a section of a building, a restaurant kitchen to be specific so that the kitchen staff can enter and clean the newly installed kitchen and start to test the equipment?

Would they need a safe pass as it is technically still a construction site as such and they are coming in to do cleaning and equipment prep, but works are substanically completed.

If we were to segerate the section of building with a seperate entrance to the kitchen area, could we hand this section over to the client and forego the requirement to have operatives have a safe pass course?

Does anyone else have any other suggestions?

Thanks & Regards

Mark

fiesta  
#2 Posted : 02 October 2019 10:52:39(UTC)
fiesta

Hi Mark,

Having been through this myself a couple of years ago, you can download the Irish Construction Regs 2013 from the Irish HSA website. Schedule 4 & 5 deal with training and as I recall not everyone on site requires a Safe Pass card. There's a list of task / trades that do in the schedule. It depends on the main contractors site rules and what they will allow in terms of segragation but I don't think cleaners / testers would require a card, but you can reads the regs for yourself and see what your take on it is.

Andy

fiesta  
#3 Posted : 02 October 2019 11:02:05(UTC)
fiesta

Just for further info - the below is from the Construction Regs....and states who they allpy to.

Whether you consider the guys your talking about fall under the "Craft & General construction workers" ???? I think there's a fair argument for saying they don't..

Andy

​​​​​​​

Application 4. (1) Subject to paragraph (2), these Regulations apply to and in relation to construction work. (2) Subject to paragraph (3), Schedule 4 applies to— (a) craft and general construction workers, (b) persons undertaking on-site security work, and (c) persons or classes of persons as may be prescribed by the Minister.