Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
thunderchild  
#1 Posted : 09 October 2019 11:22:34(UTC)
thunderchild

Afternoon all,

Currently our business is trying to get away from producing so much paper and as such we want all of our safe systems of work to go digital. All of our SSoW will now have a short questionnaire to complete to ensure its been read and understood and currently the paperwork is physically signed. 

I find google forms really easy to use and I'm a bit of a fan of it but you cannot put signature in unless they are pre-loaded via anoth add-on which given that we can have agency staff we can't always do. So my question is, does a SSoW or MS require a physical signature? Could we put in a declaration box at the end that states that the person has read, understoond and ecepted the contents of the SSOW????

Thoughts........

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 09 October 2019 12:16:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

Personally I will never sign to state anything other than I was in attendance at some point - how do I know if I am competent so my X on a piece of paper does nothing to absolve the employer of their responsibilities in making such a determination.

There is a huge gap between true understanding, and more importantly application, than merely regurgitating heard (seen) words in response to a short questionnaire.

On your query make it the signature of the supervisor/manager providing the training that way you can have a few pre-loaded signatures and no need to worry about temporary staff - probably a better signature as they will see from the interaction if people were paying attention and had a grasp of what was being delivered

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 09/10/2019(UTC), CptBeaky on 09/10/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 09 October 2019 12:16:53(UTC)
Roundtuit

Personally I will never sign to state anything other than I was in attendance at some point - how do I know if I am competent so my X on a piece of paper does nothing to absolve the employer of their responsibilities in making such a determination.

There is a huge gap between true understanding, and more importantly application, than merely regurgitating heard (seen) words in response to a short questionnaire.

On your query make it the signature of the supervisor/manager providing the training that way you can have a few pre-loaded signatures and no need to worry about temporary staff - probably a better signature as they will see from the interaction if people were paying attention and had a grasp of what was being delivered

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 09/10/2019(UTC), CptBeaky on 09/10/2019(UTC)
thunderchild  
#4 Posted : 09 October 2019 12:40:57(UTC)
thunderchild

Thanks, currnetly both the supervisor and the person completing the questionnaire sign but we cant do either (without rewriting the wheel) on an electronic version.

Think I am going to push that we leave it as pen and paper for now as it much much easier to do.

Hsquared14  
#5 Posted : 09 October 2019 12:43:58(UTC)
Hsquared14

These days most things don't need a "wet" signature to be valid, legally you didn't even need to get people to sign hard copies anyway it just helped in civil law to prove that someone had knowledge of the SSOW but even then it was never taken as an assumption of competence so I wouldn't get too worked up about it!

Natasha.Graham  
#6 Posted : 09 October 2019 12:47:23(UTC)
Natasha.Graham

Agree that no physical signature is needed.  

All electronic documents that I send are usually by email and if I'm sending something important I do two things:

1. Include voting buttons in the hope that someone will respond to say they've understood 
  2. Set up read receipts

This way if no-one responds as per 1. I still have evidence it's been read as per 2!

thanks 1 user thanked Natasha.Graham for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 09/10/2019(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 09 October 2019 13:04:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

There is a certain lawyer who wishes it was still "wet" signatures

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49893909

despite The Electronic Signatures Regulations having been around since 2002

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/318/contents/made

P.S. to disable (never send) email read receipts in Outlook ........

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 09 October 2019 13:04:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

There is a certain lawyer who wishes it was still "wet" signatures

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-49893909

despite The Electronic Signatures Regulations having been around since 2002

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2002/318/contents/made

P.S. to disable (never send) email read receipts in Outlook ........