Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bruno Aveiro  
#1 Posted : 14 October 2019 10:32:34(UTC)
Bruno Aveiro

Hi all,

I have finished my NEBOSH general certificate early this year through British Safety Council, I now wonder what extra addons/qualifications should i be aiming at? I currently work for a local authority as H&S advisor so responsible for DSE assessments of staff, writting and updating RAs, policies etc, including guidance for usage of power tools (mostly forestry based power tools and workshop tools), providing information and support for the H&S committe. Based on this i would like to have a broader knowledge on many areas of  H&S ( Asbestos, HAVS, Lone Working, DSE, minerals and inert materials etc) Can anyone advise on the best course of action? what could be the next steps to better support my organisation?

Thank you in advance.

jodieclark1510  
#2 Posted : 14 October 2019 12:05:15(UTC)
jodieclark1510

You could have a look at your role and list the things you do, and whether you feel comfortable doing them, or whether you need a bit more to bolster yourself. Also, how is the role panning out, is it going in a certain direction? What are your transferable skills like?  Sometimes its not the extra qualifications etc that you need, but a bit on in-role exposure? I did my P405 for asbestos management 3 years ago, I learned a fair bit, but I learned alot more being involved in arranging and reviewing surveys, updating registers, being involved in on ite meetings in relation to removal works, and finally working up to managing removals projects or different types and sizes.

Bruno Aveiro  
#3 Posted : 14 October 2019 12:15:19(UTC)
Bruno Aveiro

Originally Posted by: jodieclark1510 Go to Quoted Post

You could have a look at your role and list the things you do, and whether you feel comfortable doing them, or whether you need a bit more to bolster yourself. Also, how is the role panning out, is it going in a certain direction? What are your transferable skills like?  Sometimes its not the extra qualifications etc that you need, but a bit on in-role exposure? I did my P405 for asbestos management 3 years ago, I learned a fair bit, but I learned alot more being involved in arranging and reviewing surveys, updating registers, being involved in on ite meetings in relation to removal works, and finally working up to managing removals projects or different types and sizes.

Thank you for your help. at the moment its difficult to say how the role will evolve as this post is new for us. we used to have an external advisor and it has been identified through an audit that that resource wouldnt be enough. Reason why i am trying to discover which areas should i develop. i am quite confident into writting RAs and developing SSOW policies etc. but i think i lack the experience into some other areas, where extra qualifications could potentially help. I completly agree that practical skills and more you do something you end up learning more and better than a course or workshop, but at this early stage having other resources I belive it would benefit me. Just dont want to be cought up in something i am doing wrong or missing putting at risk our working force.

peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 20 October 2019 11:57:15(UTC)
peter gotch

Bruno

Possibly enrolling on an NVQ programme would allow you to pick and choose what to learn and when - and provide the flexibility that the nature of your role might require. As new topics turn up and need attention, then you could identify appropriate means of getting up your learning curve on each.

Now, if you could get of advance warning as to what's coming next, so much the better (but that might not be so easy!)

Better still if your employer will fund your NVQ and any other associated training (in term of both time and money).

Good luck, Peter