Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Eddy  
#1 Posted : 15 October 2019 10:57:05(UTC)
Eddy

Hi Folks

Has anyone come across a goodd training dvd which covers H & S induction topics well or an online system.  Its to cover office/factory staff.  Any guidance be appreciated.  Eddie

A Kurdziel  
#2 Posted : 15 October 2019 11:46:02(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Well you will need two inductions then one for office staff and one for factory staff.  Of course the induction will be very generic and not tell people what they really need to know such as how you do report an incident, or get PPE replaced or get a first aider or where the fire assembly points are or what they fire alarm sounds like etc.

Natasha.Graham  
#3 Posted : 15 October 2019 12:03:03(UTC)
Natasha.Graham

I have never bothered with generic of the shelf inductions.  In my experience most generic ones are never detailed enough or cover the correct topics required by my organisation.  I have always used ones that I have written or have been written by colleagues, so that they are relevant to the organisation and tailored to the site / location and audience, encompassing all the risks / topics needed on site.

thanks 1 user thanked Natasha.Graham for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 16/10/2019(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#4 Posted : 15 October 2019 12:30:07(UTC)
CptBeaky

I use a bespoke one at my place of work created by myself (using powerpoint). It wasn't much work and is a much better fit. I gives an overview of the site, what hazards to expect, and how we control them. What to do in emergencies, who the first aiders are etc.

Finally I can use it to hyperlink to specific risk assessments/systems of work that are relevant to that particular employee, including a site map of their area.

I won't pretend it is the most exciting of presentations, but it does work.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
RayRapp  
#5 Posted : 15 October 2019 17:47:12(UTC)
RayRapp

My sentiments exactly, if an induction is worth doing then it should be bespoke to the individual working environment. I suspect all you need is a list of topics for the induction. A starter for 10 as follows:

PPE requirements, first aid provisions, official walkways and escape routes, fire procedures, toilet/eating arrangements, any site specific hazards e.g. vehicle movements, any other special arrangements for health, safety and environmental issues. 

Incidentally, a company induction is not training per se - it is the provision of information and instruction.

thanks 1 user thanked RayRapp for this useful post.