Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Rudolph Yartey  
#1 Posted : 19 November 2019 14:29:52(UTC)
Rudolph Yartey

Hello, Is it relevant in HSE to do a PhD? Are there disadvantages? Will it make you earn a higher salary?
George_Young  
#2 Posted : 19 November 2019 14:55:24(UTC)
George_Young

Originally Posted by: Rudolph Yartey Go to Quoted Post
Hello, Is it relevant in HSE to do a PhD? Are there disadvantages? Will it make you earn a higher salary?

It will all depend on why you want to do the PhD, are you going to continue doing research on the discipline? will you keep working a normal job? do you want to do it as a challenge for your self? only you can answer these.

Will it get you a higher salary, that will depend on employers, type of role you had and hitting lucky sometimes, but in my opinion, doing a PhD for a higher salary is the wrong reason for doing a PhD, the interest should be in the discipline rather than the financial rewards.

I have considered doing a PhD after I have finished my MSc, not for more money or a better job, but to challenge myself and to show my kids that anything is possible, as I left school with 1 GCSE 20 years ago, and I'm now doing an MSc.

Edited by user 19 November 2019 14:56:07(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked George_Young for this useful post.
jwk on 19/11/2019(UTC)