Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kim Hedges  
#1 Posted : 26 November 2019 00:18:07(UTC)
Kim Hedges

I watched the news earlier today and they mentioned a Hockey player getting injured, something about a serious eye injury.  Later the hockey player talked about the sport, but nut much was said about the injury.  It simply got me wondering about how a professional level sport is work, so wouldnt it follow that perhaps professional level sports people have protection? 

Looking sideways, Cricketters have developed helmets with side cheek protectors and metal 'visors' over the years, also many forms of padding. 

So how does a sport introduce protection?  The idea that only wooses wear protection seems weird in this day and age.  

RayRapp  
#2 Posted : 26 November 2019 08:31:13(UTC)
RayRapp

I read about it on the sports pages of the BBC this morning - he was hit in the eye with a hockey ball, sufffering quite serious injuries.

Sports are not covered within the ambit of HSWA or OHS in general. People play sports of their own volition, unfortunately in physical sports there will always be an opportunity to get injured whether you get paid or not. Introducing sensible safety measures by the sport's governing bodies is probably the best solution to prevent unnecessary injuries. That said, there must be an element of tolerable risk where all injuries cannot be foreseen or prevented - we don't want a generation of snowflakes!

Ian Bell2  
#3 Posted : 26 November 2019 09:10:19(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Once you have been hit by a cricket ball, you will readily agree to wearing all of the protective gear.

Somebody bouncing a cricket ball towards you at high speed close to your delicate regions encourages compliance.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 26 November 2019 09:33:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Interestingly though it is only the batters in cricket that tend to wear the protection fielders in the line of fire from a struck ball do not.

Regarding Hockey an airborne ball at head height is rare the game mainly played along the ground. The goal keeper is one player who does wear a lot of padding and a mask as attempts on goal can lift the ball.

Edited by user 26 November 2019 09:36:11(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 26 November 2019 09:33:55(UTC)
Roundtuit

Interestingly though it is only the batters in cricket that tend to wear the protection fielders in the line of fire from a struck ball do not.

Regarding Hockey an airborne ball at head height is rare the game mainly played along the ground. The goal keeper is one player who does wear a lot of padding and a mask as attempts on goal can lift the ball.

Edited by user 26 November 2019 09:36:11(UTC)  | Reason: FFS

Holliday42333  
#6 Posted : 26 November 2019 09:43:16(UTC)
Holliday42333

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

In cricket, close fielders routinely wear leg guards, helmets and boxes.  In this summers World Cup Helmets were even seen in the slips on occasion.

thanks 1 user thanked Holliday42333 for this useful post.
webstar on 26/11/2019(UTC)
Ian Bell2  
#7 Posted : 26 November 2019 09:46:24(UTC)
Ian Bell2

Wicket Keepers wear pads, helment and padded gloves.

Fielders close in to the bat at Silly Mid On/Off often wear helmets and shin pads.

Others fielders are sufficiently far away from  the ball/batsman to have the time to react / not likely to get hit. Injuries then are usually ankle twists etc from diving/sliding to stop a ball or trying to catch the ball and the ball hits the end of the finger tip or trapping the finger/hand between the ball and ground as the ball hits the ground.

Protective equipment doesn't help in these cases.

A Kurdziel  
#8 Posted : 26 November 2019 09:47:40(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The Health and Safety at Work Act applies to all work related activities except domestic service (tug forelock m’lud). This means that any form of professional sport is included and should be managed under the Health and Safety at Work Act BUT this is one of those areas where the HSE generally leaves it to others to regulate. For example driving for work comes under HSWA but the HSE on the whole leave it for the police to manage it under the Road traffic Acts.

Professional Sports is an area that the HSE has basically kept out of and left it to the governing bodies to manage. This might change if for example a professional sports person was seriously injured due to the inadequacy of the kit that a club proved for them-although sports related PPE eg helmets etc are specifically excluded from the requirement for PPE.  Many people assume that the common law on things like assault do not apply to sports activities but there have been cases of sports people being prosecuted for violent acts on the playing field. I think the HSE is trying to avoid mission creep.

Roundtuit  
#9 Posted : 26 November 2019 10:48:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

OK hands up cricket isn't my game - last time I saw it there was someone nick named "beefy" on the England team

Roundtuit  
#10 Posted : 26 November 2019 10:48:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

OK hands up cricket isn't my game - last time I saw it there was someone nick named "beefy" on the England team