Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
NBBeacock  
#1 Posted : 10 December 2019 16:38:37(UTC)
NBBeacock

Due to the changes in the changes in guidelines for welding and the medical issues surrounding welding fumes my company has taken the descision to blanket ban any welding by our maintenance department, obviously this doesn't mean that welding is 100% never going to be done on site but we have decided that this will be done by external contractors with relevant RAMS and measures in place.

I am now being asked more about the grinding side of things, the guidance that I have read would point toward using the same measures i.e. LEV and RPE etc. but I have only seen this information on various articles and not on any actual guidance notes issued by the HSE etc. I would like to provide our maintenance manager and site manager with something specific and wondered if anyone could steer me in the right direction. This is not a strong area for me and they are asking questions like if it is a little quick job, how long can I grind for before I use LEV or RPE and What if I am working up on a machine that is to high for the LEV unit to be used etc.

Any assisstance appreciated.

chris.packham  
#2 Posted : 10 December 2019 16:47:31(UTC)
chris.packham

I would take the view that wherever there is reliance on personal protective equipment you need some form of control that it is actually providing the level of protection required. In a sense you can consider this as quality control for your exposure management. Remember that all ppe fails to danger and that with any ppe you are reliant on the user to use it correctly at all times. So for me health surveillance would be part of the overall management of noise, if only to ensure that if someone either has particular predisposition to react adversely to noise this is detected at an early stage so that appropriate steps can be taken and for your organisation's peace of mind.

chris42  
#3 Posted : 10 December 2019 17:04:02(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: NBBeacock Go to Quoted Post

I am now being asked more about the grinding side of things, the guidance that I have read would point toward using the same measures i.e. LEV and RPE etc. but I have only seen this information on various articles and not on any actual guidance notes issued by the HSE etc.

There is from the HSE - SR21 & HSG17, but to get an exposure you will need to know exactly what they are grinding and what type of wheel, then look at exposure restrictions with regard to those substances.

Chris

thanks 1 user thanked chris42 for this useful post.
NBBeacock on 11/12/2019(UTC)