Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MaxPayne  
#1 Posted : 16 January 2020 07:56:44(UTC)
MaxPayne

Seeking wider advice if I may.  I am CMIOSH and the corporate H&S manager for a city council managing a small internal H&S team delivering services across the authority and to ariound 74 schools.  A significant restructure has seen our scientific services team split and I have through negotiation rather than it being imposed, agreed to take on the addition of managing the small team of asbestos surveyors who undertake Reg 4 surveys, R&D and so on.  Whilst I have a level of competency I recognise that I am not an expert in this field so want to look at what additional training may help me in this new role.  Are there any asbestos managers out there who may be able to offer some advice please?  I've briefly looked at BOHS P405 and ARCO offer RSPH Level 3 Award in Asbestos Management for Dutyholders, but there may be smething better suited?

Thanks

jodieclark1510  
#2 Posted : 17 January 2020 10:05:44(UTC)
jodieclark1510

I hold P405 and really enjoyed the course. Personally I think it is a good baseline, particularly if you have your training through a good provider. I am lucky in a sense as my manager was a surveyor and analyst in previous roles, so I have also learned alot from him alongside my course.

Edited by user 17 January 2020 10:06:26(UTC)  | Reason: Spelling

thanks 1 user thanked jodieclark1510 for this useful post.
MaxPayne on 17/01/2020(UTC)
maybarrett  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2020 02:07:04(UTC)
maybarrett

Originally Posted by: jodieclark1510 Go to Quoted Post

I hold P405 and really enjoyed the course. Personally I think it is a good baseline, particularly if you have your training through a good provider. I am lucky in a sense as my manager was a surveyor and analyst in previous roles, so I have also learned alot from him alongside my course. 

Thank MaxPayne for the information. It really helped me!

google street view

nic168  
#4 Posted : 17 February 2020 12:32:29(UTC)
nic168

Max, I did this course last year- enjoyed it but really struggled with the scenario exam- I was not the only one. Be warned that it is weird.

Jodie, can I ask your opinion on this, my current employers own a derict site which has just been identifeid as having a lot of asbestos on- I am insisting that the security fence needs to be secure, checked and have asbestos warning signs on, they dont want to do this in case it scares local residents.

I am digging my heels in, they are asking for evidence to support this. Any killer arguments I can throw in appreciated, I have explained DOC includes tresspassers as well as legitimate visitors and mentioned the revised CAW.

jodieclark1510  
#5 Posted : 18 February 2020 12:27:50(UTC)
jodieclark1510

Originally Posted by: nic168 Go to Quoted Post

Max, I did this course last year- enjoyed it but really struggled with the scenario exam- I was not the only one. Be warned that it is weird.

Jodie, can I ask your opinion on this, my current employers own a derict site which has just been identifeid as having a lot of asbestos on- I am insisting that the security fence needs to be secure, checked and have asbestos warning signs on, they dont want to do this in case it scares local residents.

I am digging my heels in, they are asking for evidence to support this. Any killer arguments I can throw in appreciated, I have explained DOC includes tresspassers as well as legitimate visitors and mentioned the revised CAW.

There are loads of prosecutions in relation to failure to manage the risk of asbestos exposure that you can draw the importance of managing it, particularly now that no-one has to be harmed for a potential prosecution to be sought. Could the building be boarded at all as well as the security fence? The signage I think is an organisational debate, some label/ mark up, some don't.  How much is the building accessed and do you provide the information beforehand to those attending the site ( apart from potential tresspassers of course)? 

nic168  
#6 Posted : 24 February 2020 10:51:17(UTC)
nic168

Thanks Jodie,  Tressapassing is a problem, lot of travellers in the area and they have already tried to ram the gates- hence my insistance that the gates are and fences are inspected regualrly.  It is a colection of old industrial buildings on a patch of waste ground.

My first involvement was about 18monyths ago when I was asked if there were any problems to consider if this was purchased- I said yes, massive clean up costs as there were asbestos roofs and previous use included dye works, tannery and possible slaughterhouse. Area was a popular hang out for youths as well as being a short cut to shops and a stopping point for travellers so security wouldl be costly and prolonged. Unsurprisingly they went ahead

Turns out that my employers did know about the extent of the of asbestos here ( It was a slo a popular dumping ground -I did not know thtat) before they bought the site, but its ok because the previous owners admit they left it , therefore it is not really our responsibility and we are not liable.

They have not advised staff going down there of the extent of the problem or as far as I can tell shared this information with the security company or the various surevy teams going in.

I have spoken with the LM and project lead about the health risks for staff,  and rolled out and exposure to asbestos form. I am a bit tied here as my dealings so far have been informal, I only know about this as one of the staff they sent down raised it with me as a she had concerns.....