Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JadeWright  
#1 Posted : 19 February 2020 16:06:59(UTC)
JadeWright

Good afternoon all,

At the end of last year I started the Level 5 NVQ in H&S and frankly it's been a struggle.

I'm finding it really difficult to understand what exactly they're asking for. A lot of ther written answers appear to me to be repetitive and asking the same questions multiple times. Even the evidence based questions just seem to be asking for things in such a convaluted way I can't tell if I'm over or underthinking!

Has anyone else had issues like this? If so any advice before I start pulling my hair out?

SNS  
#2 Posted : 19 February 2020 22:31:18(UTC)
SNS

First advice is approach your NVQ provider / coach / contact. They should be well versed in how to pick through and meet the competencies.

Did you have enough information before taking this on? I understand that it is quite a lot of work to collate.

Good luck with the process and the result.

David H  
#3 Posted : 20 February 2020 20:58:05(UTC)
David H

Agree fully with SNS.

I struggled for months till I got a sit down with my provider and created a table documenting evidence. And you are correct a lot of evidence will be cross referenced so you need to know what you have and where it is.

Get your provider at the table and relax. It is not as dounting as it first looks

Dean36463  
#4 Posted : 21 February 2020 12:03:31(UTC)
Dean36463

Hi Jade.   My advice is to select some 'meaty' evidence in the first instance as you will find the same evidence will fully or partly satisfy several units.   In a spread sheet,  I found by listing all the unit numbers across the top and your evidence listed down the side, you can then decide which evidence can be re used to complete the units   You will be suprised by how many times the same evidence can be used if presented in the right manner.  Extra evidence may be necessary if the unit is not fully covered.    Hope this helps

Edited by user 21 February 2020 12:05:48(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

craigroberts76  
#5 Posted : 21 February 2020 17:55:13(UTC)
craigroberts76

a lot of the criteria will repeat, or seem to as they are used in different modules for various NVQ's.  I did my L5 and completed it within a month as I had been carrying out the work for 3 years and had loads of evidence.  My tutor gave me a list of what was ideal and i worked through it,

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 22 February 2020 15:47:28(UTC)
peter gotch

Jade, I've not done an NVQ but I have mentored people going through the process.

I think you have inadvertently hit on the answer to your question, with other respondents adding to that answer.

What you do will inevitably provide evidence across more than one criterion simultaneously ALMOST all the time.

It's just about working out which criteria to allocate the evidence to. If a spreadsheet approach suits you, so be it.

Getting started on putting your portfolio together is the difficult bit. Once you are up and running it gets much easier!

Good luck, Peter

JadeWright  
#7 Posted : 09 March 2020 12:02:00(UTC)
JadeWright

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I realised my initial post was a bit vague. Essentially I'm struggling with the way their "questions" are worded. I know I have the level of evidence they're asking for, I just don't know specifically what they're after ... if that makes sense.

Also for the written segments I'm not sure how much is expected of me. I have a tendancy to go a bit overboard and I don't want to channel my efforts into writing huge essays for something that can be clarified in a paragraph.

And in terms of contracting my "tutor" when she does eventually reply she's made it quite clear my questions are an inconvenience to her so I've tried to avoid messaging her now. 🙄

peter gotch  
#8 Posted : 12 March 2020 13:00:56(UTC)
peter gotch

Jade, what does your contract with your VQ provider say about the amount of support you can reasonably expect from your designated tutor.

Might be time to remind them of what you have paid for, or possibly even to ask for a different tutor.

I realise that this action is not conducive to a good working relationship with your provider, but on the basis of your posting you haven't got such a relationship.

It's of course possible that you have bought a pup that says that minimal support would be provided - possibly even defining e.g. the number of hours. That then possibly takes us into name and shame territory.

Invictus  
#9 Posted : 12 March 2020 14:19:15(UTC)
Invictus

Originally Posted by: JadeWright Go to Quoted Post

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I realised my initial post was a bit vague. Essentially I'm struggling with the way their "questions" are worded. I know I have the level of evidence they're asking for, I just don't know specifically what they're after ... if that makes sense.

Also for the written segments I'm not sure how much is expected of me. I have a tendancy to go a bit overboard and I don't want to channel my efforts into writing huge essays for something that can be clarified in a paragraph.

And in terms of contracting my "tutor" when she does eventually reply she's made it quite clear my questions are an inconvenience to her so I've tried to avoid messaging her now. 🙄

Contact the company. write what you think is required they will comeback if it is not enough. I completed this a few years ago and put what I assumed they wanted on most occasions I was right sometimes they would comeback and ask for more info. Although the tutor I had was very good and nothing was too much effort.
Highpants  
#10 Posted : 19 March 2020 10:46:59(UTC)
Highpants

Good morning Jadewright, sorry for late reply. I've dione several NVQs and to be honest they are all the same in that the most difficult part is to get your head arond what exactly you have to do, I've done the old level 4 and the Construction level 7 and struggled at first with both until I sat down with my NVQ Mentor where he basically explained what it is they are looking for and what type of evidence you need, once you get your head arond it they are easy and I think I did the level 7 in about 5 months which isnt bad when at one point I was about to give up because I didnt have a clue what to do, the main thing is to have a decent Tutor/Mentor who can explain in plain english.

AThomson73  
#11 Posted : 19 March 2020 13:34:07(UTC)
AThomson73

Hi

Speak with your assessor for guidance. I was lucky and had a great assessor. I completed the units in order. Answer the questions, gather evidence and testimonials etc. What you will find is that the questions sometimes repeat but the evidence can be used for further units as it will cover a varied topic. Cross referencing is the key e.g. creating a TBT shows knowledge and understanding but it will also cover communications and providing advice and guidance.

Does that make sense?

Your assessor will help you identify evidence for cross reference.

Allan

pauldavies  
#12 Posted : 26 March 2020 21:06:24(UTC)
pauldavies

Hi I am doing exactly the same and share the same frustration - I have a good tutor which helps, often it’s straightforward answers. If there are any specific questions your stuck with pm me Regards Paul
Jayandran  
#13 Posted : 19 April 2020 08:13:11(UTC)
Jayandran

Hi Jade, 

I completed my NVQ L6 recently followed by Level 5. I also involved in mentoring of SDP Portfolio (CMIOSH) as well for NVQ OSH Diploma. Some of the questions are seems to be same in nature. You have to read the learning outcome again and again. Based on that you have to gather different evidence for each question. Now, you will get an idea . So , understand the Learning outcome , then gather evidence after that draft your reflective statement, this flow will work.

LeslieDove18  
#14 Posted : 27 May 2020 09:06:16(UTC)
LeslieDove18

Originally Posted by: Jayandran Go to Quoted Post

Hi Jade, 

I completed my NVQ L6 recently followed by Level 5. I also involved in mentoring of SDP Portfolio (CMIOSH) as well for NVQ OSH Diploma. Some of the questions are seems to be same in nature. You have to read the learning outcome again and again. Based on that you have to gather different evidence for each question. Now, you will get an idea . So , understand the Learning outcome , then gather evidence after that draft your reflective statement, this flow will work.

I do consider all the ideas you have offered to your post. They’re really convincing and can definitely work. I savored the experience of the information part. Thank you for sharing this amazing information.