Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

15 Pages«<12131415>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Kate  
#521 Posted : 28 August 2020 14:49:11(UTC)
Kate

I've just been checking the bus timetables (which have been very much changed) in order to plan my first journey back in to the office (as Boris says get the bus, go to work, buy a coffee - only I don't like coffee).  The bus monopoly website directed me for its West of England services to the beautifully named webpage www.firstgroup.com/coronaviruswoe

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 01/09/2020(UTC), DHeptinstall on 01/09/2020(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#522 Posted : 01 September 2020 07:39:44(UTC)
CptBeaky

New slogan..

Forget the virus....Get back to work.....Save Pret.......

thanks 2 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
biker1 on 01/09/2020(UTC), Kate on 01/09/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#523 Posted : 01 September 2020 08:15:47(UTC)
biker1

Or another variation put forward - Get back to work, forget the NHS, save Pret

thanks 2 users thanked biker1 for this useful post.
CptBeaky on 01/09/2020(UTC), Kate on 01/09/2020(UTC)
N Hancock  
#524 Posted : 01 September 2020 13:27:41(UTC)
N Hancock

Originally Posted by: biker1 Go to Quoted Post

With most offices social distacing, its not looking good for Pret.  In mine for example we are on pods of 6.  Now only 2 desks can be used. 4 cant go in.  They will not be seeing their old customer level for a while !

achrn  
#525 Posted : 01 September 2020 13:52:53(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: N Hancock Go to Quoted Post

With most offices social distacing, its not looking good for Pret.  In mine for example we are on pods of 6.  Now only 2 desks can be used. 4 cant go in.  They will not be seeing their old customer level for a while !

There's a good chance they never will.  Our planning at the moment is probably that we will not return to much above 50% our prior staff levels, since our staff have generally demonstrated that they can work at home and meet productivity requirements.  I'm expecting that most of our people will only be in the office two or three days a week.  So if demand is permanently down 50%, then 50% of the supply will need to drop out of the system.

Actually, I think the more significant impact of this change will not be sandwich-makers, it will be investment funds that have assumed city centre office buildings are a sure-fire steady blue-chip investment ideal for generating pension funds.  If 50% of demand drops out of the commercial property market all those pension-funding investments are substantially worthless due to massive over-supply in that market (also, all those councils that 'invested' in property have thrrown their / our money away). So look forward to your opension fund dropping 30% of its value for another decade or so, and some more councils going bust.

Edited by user 01 September 2020 13:53:58(UTC)  | Reason: spelling

thanks 1 user thanked achrn for this useful post.
Kate on 01/09/2020(UTC)
peter gotch  
#526 Posted : 01 September 2020 15:06:22(UTC)
peter gotch

One of the bonuses is likely to be planning applications for change of use of offices (originally built as homes) back to residential.

Relatively "Affordable Housing" town or city centre living might even be possible.

biker1  
#527 Posted : 02 September 2020 10:00:52(UTC)
biker1

Good points. A substantial number of people will continue to work from home, so the city centre cafes will struggle. If office blocks are only partially occupied, companies will inevitably cut back on office space, so a re-structuring of the property market will take place. It will change from affordable housing to affordable offices.

I have to smile when I see the touting of affordable housing, especially in towns. With prices nearing a quarter of a million, I wonder who these mythical people are that are going to afford them.

thanks 1 user thanked biker1 for this useful post.
webstar on 07/09/2020(UTC)
Kate  
#528 Posted : 07 September 2020 07:11:35(UTC)
Kate

Interestingly, the CEO of Pret has disowned the "save Pret" message, saying in interviews that it is not for him to say where his customer base should work, and that instead his task is to adapt his business so that it can get the sandwiches to the customers where they actually are.

Now that is just how I thought capitalism was supposed to work, you look for the business opportunities and take advantage of them. You put sandwich shops where people want sandwiches, you don't send people to work in order for them to be next door to sandwich shops.

thanks 2 users thanked Kate for this useful post.
biker1 on 07/09/2020(UTC), CptBeaky on 07/09/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#529 Posted : 07 September 2020 08:20:00(UTC)
biker1

According to the rise and rise of traffic, I think his customer base are once again going to be stuck in traffic jams on major roads. Now here's an idea - the Deliveroo guys on their small motorbikes could weave down the traffic and take the sandwiches to the people stuck in jams, using GPS or What Three Words to find them. I'd draw the line at sandwich vans on the hard shoulder of motorways, but there is definitely a business opportunity here!

thanks 1 user thanked biker1 for this useful post.
Kate on 07/09/2020(UTC)
peter gotch  
#530 Posted : 07 September 2020 11:42:50(UTC)
peter gotch

Biker

With the reconstruction of the so called "smart" motorways, perhaps they could make provision for sandwich van parking as well as more hard shoulder places for those needing roadside assistance?

The Secretary of State for Transport might see this as a brilliant way of rebuilding the economy.

thanks 2 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Kate on 07/09/2020(UTC), biker1 on 07/09/2020(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#531 Posted : 07 September 2020 13:42:23(UTC)
A Kurdziel

When I was nowt but a lad and worked in the civil service, we spent a lot of time and energy trying to get our staff to work from home, we had a hit list of offices that were too expensive to run for example those riddled with asbestos. So now apparently all of those lazy people who want to work from home have to get onto public transport or their polluting cars so that they can attend meetings just so that we can support Greggs. It is apparently now our duty to support business by buying their goods even if we don’t want them. What next fags or bringing back the pub lunch? Meat eating should be made compulsory to support the farming sector. Anyone who eats than 1 pound of British Beef is a scoundrel and a French man. Hurrah!

thanks 3 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
biker1 on 07/09/2020(UTC), Kate on 07/09/2020(UTC), CptBeaky on 08/09/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#532 Posted : 07 September 2020 14:05:43(UTC)
biker1

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Biker

With the reconstruction of the so called "smart" motorways, perhaps they could make provision for sandwich van parking as well as more hard shoulder places for those needing roadside assistance?

The Secretary of State for Transport might see this as a brilliant way of rebuilding the economy.

It would only need a small concrete apron adding to the refuge areas, then when you break down you can have a snack while you're waiting for the AA van to fight its way through the traffic. Simples.
Roundtuit  
#533 Posted : 09 September 2020 09:53:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

If bars, restaraunts and small retail outlets close to deep clean when a Covid case has been present why have I yet to hear of any major supermarket doing similar?

Roundtuit  
#534 Posted : 09 September 2020 09:53:19(UTC)
Roundtuit

If bars, restaraunts and small retail outlets close to deep clean when a Covid case has been present why have I yet to hear of any major supermarket doing similar?

biker1  
#535 Posted : 10 September 2020 09:02:53(UTC)
biker1

Alexander Graham Bell is alive and well, and waiting in an NHS telephone queue.

biker1  
#536 Posted : 15 September 2020 10:49:43(UTC)
biker1

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Not only that, but we have to leave names and contact numbers in pubs and restaurants, but not in retail outlets. Considering the number of people who pass through the average supermarket, and the cramped enviroment of the average small shop, are we missing an element of infection control here?
Kate  
#537 Posted : 16 September 2020 08:16:55(UTC)
Kate

Well I don't know about you, but when I shop I go in and out as quickly as I can, and I don't hang around chatting.  If I need to pass someone, I do this as quickly as I can.  I respect the one-way system where there is one. I am keen to get outside and take my face-covering off.  In my local small shop which is now counter service for one customer at a time, I also take the minimum time as I am aware of customers queuing outside.  I don't go to a shop to relax.

When I go to a pub or restaurant, on the other hand, I sit or stand around a lot and am inclined to chat to staff or patrons that I recognise.  The customers have all gone there to relax and our inhibitions and rule-following tendencies are often reduced by consumption of alcohol as well as the ambience.

So there is a big difference in risk between shops and the pubs and restaurants.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
nic168 on 22/09/2020(UTC)
chris.packham  
#538 Posted : 16 September 2020 08:39:06(UTC)
chris.packham

Two groups go into a pub separated by a few minutes, one (group A) of four, the other (group B) of five. They all provide personal details to the publican. They all stay with their respective group at a safe distance from the other group. Group A stays for 30 minutes, the other for over one hour. A sixth person joins Group B after Group A has left.

A week later a member of group A tests positive for COVID-19. As part of test and trace presumably the authorities will approach the publican for the details of those present so they can be identified as needing to self-isolate. How will the publican, or the data collection agency, be able to distinguish between those in group A and group B or must all people in the  publican’s list be contacted regardless as to whether they have been in any form of close contact with the affected person? What about the person who joined Group B after Group A had left? Will they also be included.

I also wonder how many will actually give the correct name and address or one that is fictitious. Since we do not have to carry any official ID how will the publican know?

There is an old saying in data processing that says ‘garbage in = garbage out’. I suspect that this could apply here.

Roundtuit  
#539 Posted : 16 September 2020 09:57:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

That sounds very precise targetting.

From the real world Mrs R's parents went to a local restaraunt, three days later we see in the paper it had closed for a deep clean due to an employee testing positive for Covid.

Concerned as they were in the shielding group for most of lockdown we rang the restaraunt and were informed they were told to contact people who had been in on a particular day, not within a specific time frame.

As they were not booked in for the day in question there was no requirement for them to be contacted.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Kate on 16/09/2020(UTC), Kate on 16/09/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#540 Posted : 16 September 2020 09:57:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

That sounds very precise targetting.

From the real world Mrs R's parents went to a local restaraunt, three days later we see in the paper it had closed for a deep clean due to an employee testing positive for Covid.

Concerned as they were in the shielding group for most of lockdown we rang the restaraunt and were informed they were told to contact people who had been in on a particular day, not within a specific time frame.

As they were not booked in for the day in question there was no requirement for them to be contacted.

Kate on 16/09/2020(UTC), Kate on 16/09/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#541 Posted : 16 September 2020 15:35:21(UTC)
biker1

Perhaps the authorities are spending a great deal of time trying to contact Mr Donald Duck and Mr Mickey Mouse, who seem to get around a lot.

When even doctors are describing the test and trace system as a shambles, it doesn't give you a great deal of confidence.

Wailes900134  
#542 Posted : 17 September 2020 06:26:04(UTC)
Wailes900134

.... it doesn't give you a great deal of confidence.
Top marks for tenacity biker1, my confidence in government capacity was pretty much gone by Easter...
biker1  
#543 Posted : 17 September 2020 14:15:54(UTC)
biker1

Quite so. We seem to be doubly cursed in this contry to have an ineffective PM with an equally dim cabinet. Like Sherlock Holmes and Dr Watson, it is common for self-aggrandising people to have a dumbo in tow to make them look clever, although in the case of Boris, I fear it is a forlorn hope. Our esteemed health minister, Matt Hancock, or Matt Handjob as he is affectionately known around Westminster, really doesn't have a clue.

Holliday42333  
#544 Posted : 17 September 2020 15:10:25(UTC)
Holliday42333

Perhaps the authorities are spending a great deal of time trying to contact Mr Donald Duck and Mr Mickey Mouse, who seem to get around a lot.

I read in one of the myriad Gov update emails that the vast majority of hospitality contact details for Test and Trace were unavailable (ie no details taken) or innacurate (obviously false or giving the boss's details as a prank etc).  I suspect this is why its gone from voluntary to mandatory.

Cant help but think that people are trying NOT to help themselves.  Whether this is due to pure bloody mindedness or as a genuine kick back againt a belief that the virus needs to be controlled, I cannot begin to fathom.

biker1  
#545 Posted : 17 September 2020 16:22:16(UTC)
biker1

Originally Posted by: Holliday42333 Go to Quoted Post

I read in one of the myriad Gov update emails that the vast majority of hospitality contact details for Test and Trace were unavailable (ie no details taken) or innacurate (obviously false or giving the boss's details as a prank etc).  I suspect this is why its gone from voluntary to mandatory.

Cant help but think that people are trying NOT to help themselves.  Whether this is due to pure bloody mindedness or as a genuine kick back againt a belief that the virus needs to be controlled, I cannot begin to fathom.

Yes, it's a mystery to me too. I cannot understand the mentality of people who congregate on crowded beaches, attend illegal raves, and go on anti-lockdown protests, some claiming that the virus is a hoax. Perhaps a virtual tour of a COVID ward would open their eyes, but then they'd probably claim that was all a hoax too. What an insult to those who have died, those who have lost loved ones, and the NHS doctors and nurses who have knocked their pans out looking after them, with many of them dying too.

A recent protest in Trafalgar Square featured such luminary speakers as Piers Corbyn and David Icke. Draw your own conclusions.

CptBeaky  
#546 Posted : 18 September 2020 07:53:24(UTC)
CptBeaky

As I have mentioned before, a hobby of mine is looking at conspiracy theories (and why we know they are wrong). David Icke is pushing the idea that it is not just COVID-19 that is a hoax, but viruses themselves don't exist. It is just toxins being released by cells. This means they are not contagious and are just a natural part of your internal physiology.

This would also mean that ebola, AIDS, herpes and many other diseases also don't exist. Basically "I can't see viruses, therefore they don't exist" (which never seems to work the same when you mention a God). The argument is that 5g (yes back to that old chestnut) fills your body with toxins, that your cells express as COVID-19. The process behind this has a tiny element of fact (as do most conspiracy theories). I am sure a chemist would know this better than I can explain it, but 5g can ionise oxygen atoms. The conspiracy theorists believe this will affect how you body absorbs the oxygen, it doesn't. They believe this would then lead to COVID-19 symptoms, and when you test positive you are in fact just testing positive for the toxins released by your cells as they fix your body. Nobody has ever managed to explain to me what a toxin actually is. The moment I read "gets rid of toxins" on anything I automatically assume it is woo.

This theory has gained additional ground because the person that first devised the method we use to test for viruses has, for reasons only known to himself, come out and said that the test doesn't work and never did. This is despite the fact that it does work, and we have in fact moved on and improved (as science does) on his working many times over. There is a rumour that this scientist is suffering from some sort of mental decline in his later years, but I have no proof of this.

Sorry to bore you all, but as I said it is a passion of mine. This is just the short version of this that doesn't even delve into the paedophilia side of the conspiracy (and of course the Jews, it is always the Jews)

biker1  
#547 Posted : 18 September 2020 08:13:23(UTC)
biker1

Isn't it David Icke that believes we are all controlled by green lizards from another planet? Cue the music from the Twilight Zone. Another conspiracy theorist, Davide Eade, believes that planet X is going to collide with earth. The problem is, this has been forecast to happen several times over the last few years. NASA can find no evidence of this mystical planet, but of course they are in on the conspiracy as well. Then it transpired that this guy was getting the advertising revenue from YouTube where his loopy theories were posted. Curiously, he has gone very quiet now.

There are still people around who believe the earth is flat, so go figure.

Wailes900134  
#548 Posted : 18 September 2020 08:22:12(UTC)
Wailes900134

Has anybody seen David Icke and Dido Harding in the same room at the same time? Other than The Honourable Member for The 17th Century...
biker1  
#549 Posted : 18 September 2020 10:06:59(UTC)
biker1

Originally Posted by: Wailes900134 Go to Quoted Post
Has anybody seen David Icke and Dido Harding in the same room at the same time? Other than The Honourable Member for The 17th Century...

Now that you mention it..........

biker1  
#550 Posted : 21 September 2020 09:32:34(UTC)
biker1

Well, Boris has said that if we all behave ourselves, we can avoid a second total lockdown, so basiscally we're all screwed.

And why does he announce further restrictions a few days ahead, particularly when there is a weekend involved? He might as well tell all the young'uns to hit the pubs and city centres at the weekend, and have a final go at spreading the virus. If the intention is to control the spread, surely restrictions should come in straight away to achieve anything?

I thought the police welcomed intelligence from the public about illegal gatherings. We tried giving them some at the weekend, but we might as well have told our kitchen wall, so don't bother.

Andrew W Walker  
#551 Posted : 21 September 2020 10:25:45(UTC)
Andrew W Walker

Originally Posted by: CptBeaky Go to Quoted Post

As I have mentioned before, a hobby of mine is looking at conspiracy theories (and why we know they are wrong). David Icke is pushing the idea that it is not just COVID-19 that is a hoax, but viruses themselves don't exist. It is just toxins being released by cells. This means they are not contagious and are just a natural part of your internal physiology.

This would also mean that ebola, AIDS, herpes and many other diseases also don't exist. Basically "I can't see viruses, therefore they don't exist" (which never seems to work the same when you mention a God). The argument is that 5g (yes back to that old chestnut) fills your body with toxins, that your cells express as COVID-19. The process behind this has a tiny element of fact (as do most conspiracy theories). I am sure a chemist would know this better than I can explain it, but 5g can ionise oxygen atoms. The conspiracy theorists believe this will affect how you body absorbs the oxygen, it doesn't. They believe this would then lead to COVID-19 symptoms, and when you test positive you are in fact just testing positive for the toxins released by your cells as they fix your body. Nobody has ever managed to explain to me what a toxin actually is. The moment I read "gets rid of toxins" on anything I automatically assume it is woo.

This theory has gained additional ground because the person that first devised the method we use to test for viruses has, for reasons only known to himself, come out and said that the test doesn't work and never did. This is despite the fact that it does work, and we have in fact moved on and improved (as science does) on his working many times over. There is a rumour that this scientist is suffering from some sort of mental decline in his later years, but I have no proof of this.

Sorry to bore you all, but as I said it is a passion of mine. This is just the short version of this that doesn't even delve into the paedophilia side of the conspiracy (and of course the Jews, it is always the Jews)

A friend of mine thinks that the Government is letting people die in care homes so that the NHS will save money on not treating them- and, of course, no pension will be paid out. 

CptBeaky  
#552 Posted : 21 September 2020 10:28:34(UTC)
CptBeaky

Always hard to tell the difference between incomptence and intent at this level of idiocy.

thanks 1 user thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
chris42 on 21/09/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#553 Posted : 21 September 2020 14:19:57(UTC)
biker1

As I understand it, if people are in residential care homes, these are not funded by the NHS, as they are invariably privately run (hence old people having to sell their homes to pay for their care). If they need medical care, this is classed as continuing care, and so will be funded, but whether this is through the NHS or local authorities I'm not clear on.

But, while we are talking about conspiracies, what about the idea the government originally had when the virus appeared - letting it run riot in the population so that herd immunity is developed? This smacked of sacrificing thousands, hundreds of thousands, or even millions so that the rest of us would get immunity (which of course has since been proved to be ineffective with short timescales on how long anti-bodies hang around). That sounded pretty much like a conspiracy to me, or was it just incompetence?

A Kurdziel  
#554 Posted : 21 September 2020 15:01:39(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Its not a conspiracy; just a hard-hearted approach to life.    A conspiracy is the belief that this is all about proving a ready supply of tasty corpses for the giant reptilian aliens that really rule the world.

biker1  
#555 Posted : 21 September 2020 15:44:09(UTC)
biker1

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Its not a conspiracy; just a hard-hearted approach to life.    A conspiracy is the belief that this is all about proving a ready supply of tasty corpses for the giant reptilian aliens that really rule the world.

Of course - I can see that now! Are these aliens amongst us now, in human form? Who could they be? Discuss.

chris42  
#556 Posted : 21 September 2020 16:31:37(UTC)
chris42

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Of course - I can see that now! Are these aliens amongst us now, in human form? Who could they be? Discuss.

You are all describing an episode of “Doctor Who” with the Slitheen, who are green lizard like creatures that fit into human skin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slitheen

it goes onto to say “Slitheen are a ruthless criminal sect whose main motivation is profit”

and

“When they first appeared in "Aliens of London" (set in 2006), the Pasameer-Day branch of the Slitheen had been in Great Britain for some time, having infiltrated various levels of British society, from community leaders and military personnel to mid-level politicians and government officials.”

Fancy people actually believing what they see on TV fiction, however close to the truth.

Chris

biker1  
#557 Posted : 22 September 2020 12:15:33(UTC)
biker1

Perhaps we should ask David Icke about this, him being an expert on it.

Wailes900134  
#558 Posted : 22 September 2020 12:34:21(UTC)
Wailes900134

Never kept pace with Dr Who, post Pertwee but it appears the Slitheen as described might today be seen as thought leaders...
nic168  
#559 Posted : 22 September 2020 13:58:21(UTC)
nic168

I managed to silence a taxi driver last week, his belief was that the virus was engineered as a population control measure, I pointed out that the fatality rate really was not high enough for that to be the case. I then asked him if he really thought our government was really capable of or organising a cover up on this scale given that he had been denouncing them as incompetents for the last 20 mins.
thanks 2 users thanked nic168 for this useful post.
Andrew W Walker on 23/09/2020(UTC), peter gotch on 23/09/2020(UTC)
biker1  
#560 Posted : 22 September 2020 14:15:36(UTC)
biker1

Originally Posted by: Wailes900134 Go to Quoted Post
Never kept pace with Dr Who, post Pertwee but it appears the Slitheen as described might today be seen as thought leaders...

Or even politicians.........?

Nic's taxi driver was clearly a Sun reader.

Roundtuit  
#561 Posted : 22 September 2020 18:37:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

Well Biker BoJo has finally granted your wish in that the Police can if necesssary call in HM Forces.

The thought of some young squaddie with an SA 80 enforcing "mask" wearing at ALIDI fills me with dread.

A Kurdziel on 23/09/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 23/09/2020(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#562 Posted : 22 September 2020 18:37:30(UTC)
Roundtuit

Well Biker BoJo has finally granted your wish in that the Police can if necesssary call in HM Forces.

The thought of some young squaddie with an SA 80 enforcing "mask" wearing at ALIDI fills me with dread.

A Kurdziel on 23/09/2020(UTC), A Kurdziel on 23/09/2020(UTC)
CptBeaky  
#563 Posted : 23 September 2020 10:33:35(UTC)
CptBeaky

Originally Posted by: nic168 Go to Quoted Post
I managed to silence a taxi driver last week, his belief was that the virus was engineered as a population control measure, I pointed out that the fatality rate really was not high enough for that to be the case. I then asked him if he really thought our government was really capable of or organising a cover up on this scale given that he had been denouncing them as incompetents for the last 20 mins.

Discussion in a park today with a gentleman

Me> I agree,whilst the rules are illogical in many ways, people should still wear masks, afterall they can save lives.

Him> I don't wear one

Me> Why wouldn't you?

Him> I don't have Covid

Me> How do you know, have you been tested recently?

Him> I don't have it because it is not real

Me> full explanation of how we know it is real and the likely origin

Him> Well it was created in a lab anyway

Me> So which is it, not real or created in a lab?

Him> Do some research.....

Me> I read scientific journals, not sure what other research you suggest

Him> there is your problem, you need to do real research

At this point I realised this was probably not going anywhere.

thanks 3 users thanked CptBeaky for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 23/09/2020(UTC), peter gotch on 23/09/2020(UTC), biker1 on 23/09/2020(UTC)