Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kmason83  
#1 Posted : 21 April 2020 15:46:01(UTC)
kmason83

How do you write a health and safety management report when the place you work is just so terrible, there are several complainace breaches just off the top of my head and I am plugging away in a team of two for a national organisation constantly batted back by everyone including the senior team just over 18 months in and I have lots of new policies to put in place (well I pass them to the health and safety manager who takes an age to get back to me and then get them live) what is live is mostly ignored because you have to write a paper to get approval from senior team to promote any health and safety thing for fear it might upset someone. I am finally starting to get some traction and I am now furloughed! 

So its fair to say I am already one foot out of this place but I need to get this assignment done and its difficult because I am worried there is not enough to anaylise! 

Any advice welcome, mostly needed to get that off my chest - I can't be alone in this we must have all had at least one real stinker of a job! 

RVThompson  
#2 Posted : 22 April 2020 06:40:11(UTC)
RVThompson

Not knowing your workplace, is it possible to focus on one location or department?

For example you could choose the warehouse of a large manufacturing unit. You can use your company's infrastructure, management system, etc. for the basis of your report, and then focus on your chosen area.

Swygart25604  
#3 Posted : 23 April 2020 15:15:19(UTC)
Swygart25604

I can sympathise with this; I had a very similar issue when I was doing my Unit D. In fact, it made doing Unit A quite difficult too, as it was hard to know what good actually looked like!

RVThompson makes a very good suggestion; it would help to just focus on one section or department and write about that.

Unit D is a strange animal; I think it safe to say that none of us have ever had to write a report like that ever again since we did it. It's just a hoop to jump through - keep your eye on the prize.

RVThompson  
#4 Posted : 24 April 2020 09:19:40(UTC)
RVThompson

Marmstrong36  
#5 Posted : 05 May 2020 15:57:44(UTC)
Marmstrong36

Hi KMason83, hope you're coping ok on furlough? I've just got my results for the DNI and passed! I would say that you have plenty to go for your DNI. Just follow the NEBOSH guidance questions in each section i.e Leadership, it doesn't matter if your organisation are poor in that area. Just write where the company are now and benchmark this against HSG 65 and detail the gaps (sounds like there may be a few gaps) but as long as you write what the gaps are against the best practice you should do fine. Concentrate on the Risk Profile and Recomendations as they are the bulk of the marks.