Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ianthomas316  
#1 Posted : 24 April 2020 16:05:13(UTC)
Ianthomas316

I am looking to study nebosh diploma in occupational health via elearning. Im looking for anyone's recommendations or experiences. Have previously completed general certificate.
thanks 1 user thanked Ianthomas316 for this useful post.
martin paul jones on 24/04/2020(UTC)
martin paul jones  
#2 Posted : 24 April 2020 19:10:49(UTC)
martin paul jones

Hi ian .i hope i find you well sir.What made you decide on the nebosh diploma as opposed to the ncrq route ?.

thanks 1 user thanked martin paul jones for this useful post.
Ianthomas316 on 24/04/2020(UTC)
Ianthomas316  
#3 Posted : 24 April 2020 19:42:56(UTC)
Ianthomas316

Thanks for your quick reply. Was concerned that ncrq isn't as well known as nebosh and some job applications may get put aside by recruiters ignorance. Also when looking at elearning ncrq is around £400 more expensive.
martin paul jones  
#4 Posted : 25 April 2020 09:00:49(UTC)
martin paul jones

Hi ian ,I hope i find you well today , i guess the cost of the course is a factor that will influence many peoples choices.I have personaly  undertaken  various nebosh courses and found the learning methodology of  reciting information for a imminent exam  a good way of consolidating information.

I recently completed the ncrq diploma and i found the applying style of ncrq very helfull .I think personally having processed through nebosh courses prior to the ncrq diploma  this stood me in good stead and prepared me for the necessary appying techniques required throughout the ncrq diploma.

One of the nebosh courses i undertook  distance  learning was the construction certificate, and i found the course really good once i set a sceduled  plan for allocating time to put to the course to keep commited to progression within the course modules to then meet the quaterly exam dates .

Is the diploma relevant to your now occupational requirement, or is it a qualification you require to change occupation sir ?.

Edited by user 25 April 2020 09:01:43(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked martin paul jones for this useful post.
Ianthomas316 on 25/04/2020(UTC)
Ianthomas316  
#5 Posted : 25 April 2020 11:14:08(UTC)
Ianthomas316

Thanks again. Need qualification for career change. Awaiting national general 2 and ngc 3 results already passed ngc1. (2014 Syllabus). Working as a aircraft painter for last 17 years. experience working with coshh, working at height, manual handling, confined spaces and rpe and ppe as part of the job. But have no specific health and safety role. Have taken ncrq managing safely offer to do free, but waiting for validation interview in a few weeks. I enjoyed its methods of teaching and like the idea of no exams for the ncrq diploma. Just concerned with no experience in a dedicated health and safety role would need to maximise my chances of an interview and thought nebosh is asked for or required for many jobs.
peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 26 April 2020 15:27:20(UTC)
peter gotch

Ian

As has been written before on these Forums, a large proportion of employers (and the recruitment agencies aren't any better) don't really understand what qualifications they are looking for.

So, possibly, you should consider what level to want to attain on the European Qualifications Framework (and thence what level of IOSH membership you would be eligible for) and pick the course that suits YOU rather than a potential employer.

....and then in your CV or covering letter, explain why e.g. an NCRQ qualification would be at the same level as one from NEBOSH or a National Vocational Qualification or something entirely different (e.g. an appropriate degree). 

The adverts are frequently laziness (or ignorance) personified and reflected in advertised salaries (when actually included) that are either very generous (for a low level qualification) or the reverse (for a high level qualification). 

Part of your task in applying for a position may well be to educate the employer and explain why YOUR qualification is at least as good as what they specify and why that, together with your experience offers the employer transferable skills and experience. As example, you can show how your experience of implementing COSHH in practice (inclusive of controls including that last line of defence, PPE) is as relevant to e.g. some laboratory as it is in the sector you have worked in.

The Health & Safety Executive has forgotten this, but when I joined HSE it had a policy of NOT letting a new Inspector anywhere near the sector they had worked in, until all their preconceptions had been put to bed. So, I had worked in engineering (both on the shop floor and in a production programming capacity), and I didn't get to inspect a large engineering factory for about 10 years. I still remembered how things were, but, by then, I also knew how they should be!! HSE's policy was based on the assumption that a competent health and safety professional could apply their skills to ANY sector and add value. 

Good luck, Peter

thanks 2 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Ianthomas316 on 26/04/2020(UTC), martin paul jones on 26/04/2020(UTC)
Ianthomas316  
#7 Posted : 26 April 2020 15:47:09(UTC)
Ianthomas316

Thank you very much for your time and help. Much appreciated and information given has been a great help.