Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.



Go to last post Go to first unread
#1 Posted : 16 May 2020 15:57:19(UTC)
Rank: New forum user

Hi all,  I've just registerd on this forum after a long break away.  I'm after a bit of advice from you lovely people please.  I am an ex-HSE advisor, I worked as a Process Safety Engineer then HSE Advisor in the Chemicals Industry, looking after Process Safety and Occupational H&S.  I did my Nebosh level 6 diploma in 2010.  

I was made redundant from my last job in H&S in 2009 thanks to the economic downturn then, and I was 8 months pregnant when I was made redundant. Due to family circumstances I have not yet got back into the workplace, and to be honest I don't want to go back to being an employee - I want to be self employed.

I have gained loads of experience of running a Limited company over these last few years as I have run a residential management company (think like a managemegnt company for a block of flats, only this is for a large estate).  I have used all my skills to set up as a Virtual Assistant (VA) - offering admin and bookkeeping / finance support to small businesses (I've also done my AATs).

I was thinking of pivoting my VA business to support freelance H&S consultants in running their business, then I thought about being a H&S consultant myself.  My fear with that is I have not kept up with legislation changes over the 10 year.

So here are my questions (1) do you think there would be a demand for a VA to help freelance H&S consultants with their admin, bookkeeping and maybe low-level H&S stuff and (2) if I were to offer myself as a freelance H&S consultant rather than a VA how much 'catch-up' would I need to do from the last 10 years and were would be the best place to start??

I'd appreaciate any help / input.  Many thanks.

#2 Posted : 18 May 2020 10:05:42(UTC)
Rank: Forum user

Have you considered going self-employed as a bookkeeper with your quals. You could offer your services to a wider range of clients than just H&S. As you have experience of vitual admin you could do most of it from home, especially in the current climate. Just a thought.

Users browsing this topic
You cannot post new topics in this forum.
You cannot reply to topics in this forum.
You cannot delete your posts in this forum.
You cannot edit your posts in this forum.
You cannot create polls in this forum.
You cannot vote in polls in this forum.