Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nikkinoo  
#1 Posted : 08 July 2020 11:44:32(UTC)
nikkinoo

Good afternoon all :) 

I hope your day is going well. Please can anyone help me? 

I just passed the open assessment exam, so now I am on Part B. Thing is, I downloaded all the syllibus, command word guidance and all other IPD guidance.. the command word APPRAISE is not in any of it...

However, it is mentioned in EVALUATE - "determine the value or character of something by careful appraisal" 

Now I am flapping big time! Please advise, if I get the command wrong, then I get the whole question wrong. 

Thanks in advance all :)

biker1  
#2 Posted : 08 July 2020 14:17:15(UTC)
biker1

As I understand it, if the verb in the question doesn't appear in the list of command words, you should interpret it as it's normal definition, or in other words as it is commonly understood, dictionary definition etc.

AcornsConsult  
#3 Posted : 09 July 2020 10:47:47(UTC)
AcornsConsult

Hi Nikkino,

To my way of reading how you have shown evaluate, it looks like appraisal is part of the definition rather than an addition 'command' word.   A quick look at online dictionaries and thesaurus for either evaluate or appraisal with give the other. 

nikkinoo  
#4 Posted : 09 July 2020 12:35:56(UTC)
nikkinoo

Hi, 

I would have thought it would just be that, my confusion is they have capitalised the word APPRAISE like it is a command word, which is what has totally thrown me off. I am treating it as evaluate now. 

Thanks for your guidance, it has been a great help. :)

nikkinoo  
#5 Posted : 05 August 2020 10:50:20(UTC)
nikkinoo

Update, 

I managed the pass Part B :) Thanks for your help!

Nikki Noo

biker1  
#6 Posted : 06 August 2020 15:14:43(UTC)
biker1

Congratulations!