Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mersey  
#1 Posted : 15 July 2020 14:04:18(UTC)
Mersey

Most guidance I have read comes from the angle that "My employee is trying to make me come back to work!"

We have the opposite situation whereby an employee who is considered high risk due to an auto immune disorder wants to come back to work.

How far should an employer be expected to go to accommodate this?

Should the first port of call be to see what their GP suggests?

The role involves working in a research and development lab (open planned) with 30 other staff, it would extremely difficult to make provisions for one individual above and beyond what we are already doing

I appreciate the employee wants to get back to work for normality and potentially, other things we have considered is weekend work , alternative duties etc…

JL  
#2 Posted : 15 July 2020 16:34:52(UTC)
JL

Mersey

I have had just this scenario in some of our offices, I have a small individual Risk Assessment that we use to prove that the individual is Fit (or unfit) to return to work. As yet this has not been disagreed with. I’m happy to share this if you would like.

thanks 1 user thanked JL for this useful post.
Mersey on 16/07/2020(UTC)
stevedm  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2020 05:35:32(UTC)
stevedm

Mersey

Your OH provider should be able to review with the indivudual and give them a COVID age, essentially a medical back to work risk assessment...this will give you the additional controls to put in place for that person returning to work...I know there are general risk assessment floating about but this method is the only on backed up by the SOM and the BMA...your OH nurse or provider should be able to do this for you including verifying the shielding letter...give me a shout if you need any more

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
Mersey  
#4 Posted : 16 July 2020 08:52:27(UTC)
Mersey

Thanks Steve

Unfortunately we don't have the luxury of OH nurse or even OH provider at the moment

Originally Posted by: stevedm Go to Quoted Post

Mersey

Your OH provider should be able to review with the indivudual and give them a COVID age, essentially a medical back to work risk assessment...this will give you the additional controls to put in place for that person returning to work...I know there are general risk assessment floating about but this method is the only on backed up by the SOM and the BMA...your OH nurse or provider should be able to do this for you including verifying the shielding letter...give me a shout if you need any more

stevedm  
#5 Posted : 16 July 2020 10:06:17(UTC)
stevedm

sorry to hear that I had assumed all pharma had some sort of support....if not then it would be a referral to thier GP but asking specific questions about the work they do and are they capable of completing it with minimal increased risk...same as you would for any severe injury etc returning to work...keep it work focused an away from specifica as you won't get an answer for confidentiality...depending on thier age the risk of returning to work should be no greater than going out to the shops...it is a lot more complicated than that but you get the jist :)

thanks 1 user thanked stevedm for this useful post.
SammyK  
#6 Posted : 16 July 2020 18:57:16(UTC)
SammyK

Hello,

The government actually sent out letters to those currently classed as Extremly critically vulnerable- effectively as of the 1st August provided your workplace is as COVID safe as it can be (perspex screens, masks, gloves, sanitiser) they can go about their daily business, return to work etc and just follow everyone else when it comes to social distancing etc. Those that are currently living with a shielding person and classed as vulnerable can return about their daily tasks as normal (following social distancing etc) surely it's down to your HR department if they choose to send to DR / OH before returning to work?

tomwallem  
#7 Posted : 20 July 2020 06:46:23(UTC)
tomwallem

I have had just this scenario in my office.

slitherio