Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
liamarchie  
#1 Posted : 23 September 2020 07:14:04(UTC)
liamarchie

We have 24hr manned security lodges at our site entrances, some of the entrances are manned by 1 person at a time meaning that person cannot leave the lodge during the day. Within the lodge there is drinking water, a toilet/sink, microwave and kettle, but no kitchenette style plate washing facility.

The discussion has come up that these guards do not have the same access to facilities the rest of the employees at the company do, as because they are required to stay within the lodge they cannot access to the staff cafe/canteen to purchase prepared meals during the day. 

My argument is there is provision for them to have everything they need within the lodge, hot or cold foood and drink, and that is the nature of the role. As far as i can see we meet the requirements for welfare facility. However i can see the other argument and appreciate what they are saying. 

Any thoughts on how best to handle this, or where i stand from a regulation stance? Im thinking if it becomes a big sticking point, we can arrange for meals to be dropped off at the lodge via an email ordering system.

Kate  
#2 Posted : 23 September 2020 07:46:15(UTC)
Kate

This isn't about regulations (I agree you comply with those) but about whether you as a company care about these workers, their welfare and the conditions they are working in.

Hsquared14  
#3 Posted : 23 September 2020 14:01:04(UTC)
Hsquared14

We have the same situation but without the canteen facilities - all of our employees have to bring their food in with them so there is no question of anyone being able to say that they don't have access to this or that facility that other people have.  This is not a health and safety question it is a social question being dressed up as health and safety and how you tackle it very much depends on the culture within your company.   To my mind you have done everything you need to do to provide them with access to appropriate welfare facilities and everything else is a bonus so to speak.  The idea of an email ordering meal system and drop off is a good one if managable within the context of your canteen facility but not essential. 

liamarchie  
#4 Posted : 23 September 2020 14:25:03(UTC)
liamarchie

Thanks for the responses. 

Im not against what theyre requesting, i just wanted some reassurance that we had done what is required from a H&S point. Giving their gripe some resolution will likely go a long way to keeping staff on board and sweet, so we will be trying to sort something out

thanks 1 user thanked liamarchie for this useful post.
Kate on 24/09/2020(UTC)
John Murray  
#5 Posted : 24 September 2020 07:11:46(UTC)
John Murray

They're sat there alone. They're lonely.

Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 24 September 2020 20:48:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

Walk in their shoes i.e. do the job. I found it to be the most soul destroying weekend of my life covering the Friday through Monday 12 hr night shift when the usual employee was off work.
Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 24 September 2020 20:48:43(UTC)
Roundtuit

Walk in their shoes i.e. do the job. I found it to be the most soul destroying weekend of my life covering the Friday through Monday 12 hr night shift when the usual employee was off work.