Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Watson27612  
#1 Posted : 24 September 2020 09:11:22(UTC)
Watson27612

Hello Learners

I am considering starting an OH&S NVQ support area on this forum for the City & Guilds level 5, including unit 611 and Proqual level 6, including the two assignments and the CPD assignment. I have been developing the delivery models and assessing the units for almost 20 years. Would this be of any use generally?

Regards

Mike Watson

thanks 1 user thanked Watson27612 for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 24/09/2020(UTC)
Martin Fieldingt  
#2 Posted : 24 September 2020 10:30:18(UTC)
Martin Fieldingt

Hi Mike,

I am trying to decide which to go for between NCRQ or NVQ Level 6 route. I have completed a NVQ L4 in Management but about 20 years ago and have heard good things about both.

Regards,

Martin

Watson27612  
#3 Posted : 24 September 2020 10:56:39(UTC)
Watson27612

Hi Martin - First question is are you working in OH&S at a minimum of supervisor level? If so, then I would go for an NVQ L6 which can be completed at your own pace but within say 12 months and prices are approximately £1.200 ish +. You are required to answer questions within what are termed reflective accounts and provide "supporting evidence" for each unit. It is a reasonably simple qualification to complete but like the NCRQ is time consuming. Both qualifications lead to Graduate membership of IOSH at the time of this answer (membership grade changes). 

If you need further help with this please let me know

Mike Watson 

thanks 1 user thanked Watson27612 for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 07/10/2020(UTC)
peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 07 October 2020 11:09:42(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Martin

Either a VQ or NCRQ is a valid option.

Key advantage of a VQ is that if you are in the right job, you could use what you do at work to put together most if not all of the portfolio that you need to compile.

NCRQ is about working through tuition books and doing assignments given to you by your tutor. This means that the assignments might have very little in common with your day to day job but do mean that you are asked to consider the risks and legal considerations associated with the assignments given to you.

This means taking you outside of your comfort zone, but gives you a blank piece of paper to work with,  so that you are unlikely to be distracted from finding better solutions by what you might accept as custom and practice at your workplace.

Good luck either way.

P

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 07/10/2020(UTC)
rs10  
#5 Posted : 14 November 2020 11:46:23(UTC)
rs10

Dear all, I feel this forum would be a great idea for NVQ candidates.

I have a enquiry of my own though?  Has anyone completed the Level 6 Diploma and enrolled onto the Qualifi Level 7 international diploma in Occupational Health & Safety?  I see it is accepted as accredited prior learning onto the Master's degree at Portsmouth University.

Has anyone had any experience of this level 7 diploma and if so would they recommend it?  

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 14 November 2020 14:58:34(UTC)
peter gotch

rs10 - interesting Q to which I don't have an answer.

However, I suggest you open a new thread as I doubt that many will find your Q in this thread with its title.

P

craigroberts76  
#7 Posted : 10 December 2020 11:49:28(UTC)
craigroberts76

Originally Posted by: rs10 Go to Quoted Post

Dear all, I feel this forum would be a great idea for NVQ candidates.

I have a enquiry of my own though?  Has anyone completed the Level 6 Diploma and enrolled onto the Qualifi Level 7 international diploma in Occupational Health & Safety?  I see it is accepted as accredited prior learning onto the Master's degree at Portsmouth University.

Has anyone had any experience of this level 7 diploma and if so would they recommend it?  

I'm enrolled on their masters in risk assessment and crisis control starting in Feb 2021 and I have a L5 + evidence from my day job showing the type of RA's I carry out currently and this was accepted

thanks 1 user thanked craigroberts76 for this useful post.
rs10 on 22/02/2021(UTC)
stevewhite66  
#8 Posted : 10 December 2020 16:37:24(UTC)
stevewhite66

Having studied NVQ and more formal qualifications such as NCRQ, for me the NVQ level 5 / 6 is the most practical and pragmatic method to any aspiring health & safety supervisor / manager to learn hands on the requirements to implement health and safety management strateies, standards, policies and procedures, which are closely related to OHSAS 45001 and especially Plan, Do, Check Act. This course provides you with the stepping stones and confidence to implement a competent and robust health and safety management strategy and plan suitable to the business needs and auiditable under scrutineering. The higher qualifications are very good, but are more atuned to having H&S management sytsems already in place. 

emadalex  
#9 Posted : 28 December 2020 18:05:40(UTC)
emadalex

Hello Mr. Mike,

I'm stdying OH&S NVQ level 6 right now and I would like to learn more from you to deliver better RA and evidences. 

Regards,

Emadalex

bxuxa  
#10 Posted : 28 December 2020 19:59:35(UTC)
bxuxa

Originally Posted by: emadalex Go to Quoted Post
Hello Mr. Mike,
I'm stdying OH&S NVQ level 6 right now and I would like to learn more from you to deliver better RA and evidence.Regards,Emadalex

Hi,
Can you be more explicit?

You have an excellent HSE guide regarding RA.
What type of evidence are you referring too?

emadalex  
#11 Posted : 29 December 2020 07:06:27(UTC)
emadalex

Originally Posted by: bxuxa Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: emadalex Go to Quoted Post
Hello Mr. Mike, I'm stdying OH&S NVQ level 6 right now and I would like to learn more from you to deliver better RA and evidence.Regards,Emadalex

Hi,
Can you be more explicit?

You have an excellent HSE guide regarding RA.
What type of evidence are you referring too?

Greetings,

I'm looking for a way to understand the criterias of NVQ level 6 Reflective Accounts. I was able to finish 4 units till now, but still I feel something missing can make me finish it faster. I'm PMT Safety Lead and I have all the information and evidinces required but to select betwwn them makes me so slow.

Example what are evidinces I should put after answering the below questions?

Explain to your assessor the advantages of the different methods of presentation.

Explain to your assessor the disadvantages of the different methods of presentation.

Edited by user 29 December 2020 08:12:42(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

peter gotch  
#12 Posted : 29 December 2020 15:13:48(UTC)
peter gotch

Emadalex

The questions you are asked are there to make YOU think about what YOU see as appropriate answers.

So, you could consider various methods of presentation and different types of audience and explain to the assessor why you think that some are better than others depending on the nature of your audience.

Perhaps you might consider a task with multiple types of risk and consider how to would explain your risk assessment and thence the precautions to be taken to different people, individually or in groups.

As example you might have entry into a confined space to do some welding presenting both explosion and asphyxiation risks, but also a need for descent from a higher level. Your audience might include an engineer with a degree in chemical engineering who fully understands the potential dangerous atmosphere but doesn't know much about working from heights and others including a labourer who might be unable to read and write but who probably knows much more about safe access than the engineer. 

So, do you use one means of presentation for the engineer and another for the labourer, or do you find a solution that can meet the needs of both (and others) together? What are your reasons for your decision?

Remember that your assessor is likely to quiz you on your response, so that it is important that it is the results of your own thinking that is provided in your answers! VQs are about showing your understanding of the topic, NOT the ability to set out the "right" answer to an academic exam question.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
emadalex on 29/12/2020(UTC)
emadalex  
#13 Posted : 29 December 2020 16:24:28(UTC)
emadalex

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post
EmadalexThe questions you are asked are there to make YOU think about what YOUsee as appropriate answers.So, you could consider various methods of presentation and different types of audience and explain to the assessor why you think that some are better than others depending on the nature of your audience.Perhaps you might consider a task with multiple types of risk and consider how to would explain your risk assessment and thence the precautions to be taken to different people, individually or in groups.As example you might have entry into a confined space to do some welding presenting both explosion and asphyxiation risks, but also a need for descent from a higher level. Your audience might include an engineer with a degree in chemical engineering who fully understands the potential dangerous atmosphere but doesn't know much about working from heights and others including a labourer who might be unable to read and write but who probably knows much more about safe access than the engineer.So, do you use one means of presentation for the engineer and another for the labourer, or do you find a solution that can meet the needs of both (and others)together? What are your reasons for your decision?Remember that your assessor is likely to quiz you on your response, so that it is important that it is the results of your own thinking that is provided in your answers! VQs are about showing your understanding of the topic, NOT the ability to set out the "right" answer to an academic exam question.

Thanks Peter for your explanation, It helped me to think about how to write the answer.
One more clarification about the evidence should I put here presentation example in both criterias and what else can be used as evidence.
Elbailer  
#14 Posted : 17 March 2021 20:26:06(UTC)
Elbailer

Originally Posted by: rs10 Go to Quoted Post
Dear all, I feel this forum would be a great idea for NVQ candidates.I have a enquiry of my own though? Has anyone completed the Level 6 Diploma and enrolled onto theQualifi Level 7 international diploma in Occupational Health & Safety? I see it is accepted as accredited prior learning onto the Master's degree at Portsmouth University.Has anyone had any experience of this level 7 diploma and if so would they recommend it?

I’ve completed the Nebosh diplomas (both OHS and Environmental Management), and the Qualifi Level 7 International OHS Diploma. The Qualifi diploma is 60 credits at Level 7 (same level as Masters degree). The Qualifi diploma requires various tasks to be completed by writing 500-word responses to around 15-25 sub tasks. It can be completed within a few months like a vocational qualification and support and feedback was good. The qualification was interesting, but it was more expensive than other Qualifi level 7 courses, probably because it’s only available through specific providers. The course is also 60 credits (UK), rather than 120 credits for other Qualifi level 7 diploma subjects. However, a benefit is it’s assignment based (so no exams). The diploma is accepted as prior learning for MSc, and would reduce tuition fees for the MSc (which can be £9-15k) and requires 180 credits.