Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
karlarmstrong1  
#1 Posted : 19 January 2021 10:25:52(UTC)
karlarmstrong1

Sorry if this has been a topic thousands of times on here but i am looking to do the next level after the NEBOSH gen.

I have ruled out NEBOSH diploma, but wondered what people would recommend. To be honest i thought the NCRQ was 100% the correct way for me but having read that the NVQ is more portfolio based than exams/assignments i quite fancy that.

Whats peoples opinions on both?

Cheers

Karl

Brian Hagyard  
#2 Posted : 19 January 2021 11:46:15(UTC)
Brian Hagyard

karl

I have a collegue doing the NCRQ at the moment. I have been very impressed with the support he has been given. The assigmments are very good and certaily test in depth knowledge and expect you to do lots of reasearch.

I have done NVQ's in the past and again if you are covering the depth of the subject needed so you can provide the evidance they too are very good.

Having in the past done lots of exam based qualifications i would recomend either of these methods above that. I think they produce far more rounded pratitioners. Which is best for you i think is difficult to answer - both take a lot of time and effort - the NCRQ i think takes less practical experiance.

peter gotch  
#3 Posted : 19 January 2021 15:12:55(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Karl

I have mentored a fair few through their NVQs over the years. Has the advantage that if you have the range of workload needed to develop your portfolio, much of the portfolio can be made up of evidence from your day to day job. Needs support from your employer in letting you stretch (but a good employer should be wanting you to stretch, but without an appropriate level of supervision!).

NCRQ will take you out of your comfort zone, but that has the advantage that you are less likely to accept custom and practice in your workplace as being OK. On the other hand it means that everything is away from work and getting you to think through the problems from first principles.

I have a cousin who has been doing their NCRQ largely between jobs and who is progressing well. Conversely, I have a former colleague who is hugely experienced but always extremely busy at work and who is finding difficulty in putting in the time outside work to really get on with doing their NCRQ.

Good luck, whichever direction you choose. P

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 19/01/2021(UTC)