Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Chizzyhse  
#1 Posted : 12 March 2021 09:41:49(UTC)
Chizzyhse

i humbly request for two things from isoh member.

• i seek for mentors who will help brush me up in HSE career.
  • i also seek for kind person(s) to help me with the payment of new membership status that cost $191...

i sincerely want to contribute to the development of good safety culture in my locality.

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 12 March 2021 10:46:14(UTC)
peter gotch

Chizzy

Please do not consider that my reply is intended to offend - it isn't. 

I don't know where your locality is but in my locality your posting looks like a potential scam, not least via your reference to $$.

This is your first posting on the IOSH Forums and, unfortunately, we have recently had far too much spam and I for one am cautious about what I read here.

Which means as example that I am not going to simply Private Message (PM) you with personal details such as my email address.

I am quite prepared to assume that your posting is genuine and that you just don't see how it is likely to be treated with suspicion in my locality.

Suggest you start by clarifying your posting with some more information about where you are, what you do, and what you want to achieve.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Brian Hagyard on 12/03/2021(UTC)
Chizzyhse  
#3 Posted : 12 March 2021 11:03:30(UTC)
Chizzyhse

Thank you very much for your observation.

I won't blame you for assuming i am scam.

But i assure you i amnot, i am from nigeria. 

i have my HSE 1,2 & 3 and desire to grow in the pofession.

my country do not really have a fair ground for people like me with only HSE level 1,2 & 3, except you get an advanced certification.....

You can varify me on LinkedIn with the name Mbagwu Chukwuebuka Chiziterem and on facebook with Mbagwu Chizzy HSE to see some of my participation in HSE activities locally.

I am from West Africa (Nigeria) and i reside there as well.

All i seek and plead is for someone to help pay for my IOSH membership fee to IOSH account and not to me directly.

If i was scam, i won't be asking for such huge money to be paid directly to IOSH for my membership.

Once again, thanks for your time.

O'Donnell54548  
#4 Posted : 12 March 2021 18:21:56(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Good news Chizzyhse, you have won the Nigerian lottery. If you send me £100 and your bank details I will transfer your winnings immediately

Roundtuit  
#5 Posted : 12 March 2021 20:25:51(UTC)
Roundtuit

Not particularly helpful post about Nigerian Lotteries.

Lets see what the president makes of this since he has joined with the members forum.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 13/03/2021(UTC), Wailes900134 on 13/03/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#6 Posted : 12 March 2021 20:25:51(UTC)
Roundtuit

Lets see what the president makes of this since he has joined with the members forum.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Wailes900134 on 13/03/2021(UTC), Wailes900134 on 13/03/2021(UTC)
Alan Haynes  
#7 Posted : 12 March 2021 21:57:44(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Chizzy
Have you tried contacting the West Africa branch of IOSH ? - they may be able to advise/assist you.

https://iosh.com/members...ur-branches/west-africa/
O'Donnell54548  
#8 Posted : 12 March 2021 22:49:16(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Perhaps the President can also address posters asking for money from members?

O'Donnell54548  
#9 Posted : 13 March 2021 16:52:15(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

It would appear that some think my response unhelpful, I assume that these people believe that Chizzy's appeal is a genuine one. You may be right, but just be aware that:

1. The currency of Nigeria is not the dollar it is the Naira

2. The entry fee for membership to IOSH is £191, in Naira this is N 101,297 or $191 (which is what he is asking for) N 72,771

3. The average annual salary in Nigeria is N 85,700

4. Chizzy's facebook page gives no details beyond his place of work (no back ground, no family, no pictures etc)

5. His facebook page states that he is employed by Mikan International Ltd as a H&S Supervisor. On their web page it states "As such, excellence in health, safety, and environmental protection and investments into the professional development of staff are fundamental components of Mikano corporate culture" So why is his employer not able to help him without him asking on the IOSH forum?

Wailes900134  
#10 Posted : 13 March 2021 18:38:00(UTC)
Wailes900134

Originally Posted by: O'Donnell54548 Go to Quoted Post

It would appear that some think my response unhelpful, I assume that these people believe that Chizzy's appeal is a genuine one. 

I believe it would be possible to view the original post with cautious cynicism and at the same time feel the outward expression of cynicism by another potentially unhelpful, until the situation is resolved one way or the other. 
O'Donnell54548  
#11 Posted : 14 March 2021 12:04:41(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Originally Posted by: Wailes900134 Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: O'Donnell54548 Go to Quoted Post

It would appear that some think my response unhelpful, I assume that these people believe that Chizzy's appeal is a genuine one. 

I believe it would be possible to view the original post with cautious cynicism and at the same time feel the outward expression of cynicism by another potentially unhelpful, until the situation is resolved one way or the other. 

What?????????

peter gotch  
#12 Posted : 14 March 2021 13:52:56(UTC)
peter gotch

Chizzy

To provide some context, UK people have been hit by numerous scams which have been identified as originating across the World, including, many from Nigeria.

There is a programme on BBC, "Famalam", whose actors (and writers) are mostly of African or Afro-Caribbean origin.

There is a series of sketches in which a Nigerian Prince goes to all sorts of efforts to be generous with some of his wealth. But the Nigerian Brits who receive the emails or texts asking them to claim a little share simply collapse into laughter at the prospect that such an idea emanating from Nigeria would be anything but a scam. 

These sketches are clearly not racist as they are self-deprecation by people of Nigerian descent commenting on what UK citizens have experience.

If white British comedians did the same sketch, there would rightly be outrage.

Edited by user 15 March 2021 10:24:31(UTC)  | Reason: Half my posting has been overtaken by events

O'Donnell54548  
#13 Posted : 14 March 2021 21:04:08(UTC)
O'Donnell54548

Originally Posted by: peter gotch Go to Quoted Post

Chizzy

To provide some context, UK people have been hit by numerous scams which have been identified as originating across the World, including, many from Nigeria.

There is a programme on BBC, "Famalam", whose actors (and writers) are mostly of African or Afro-Caribbean origin.

There is a series of sketches in which a Nigerian Prince goes to all sorts of efforts to be generous with some of his wealth. But the Nigerian Brits who receive the emails or texts asking them to claim a little share simply collapse into laughter at the prospect that such an idea emanating from Nigeria would be anything but a scam. 

These sketches are clearly not racist as they are self-deprecation by people of Nigerian descent commenting on what UK citizens have experience.

If white British comedians did the same sketch, there would rightly be outrage.

O'Donnell - as the saying goes, "when you are in a hole, stop digging."

I am not going to check the information in one of your postings, but for starters to have spelt a supposed employer in two ways - with and without an O at the end - suggests a posting made in haste.

Merely identifying this employer could put the original poster at risk of action by their employer or others. Hence, I suggest you might consider editing or deleting this posting (and give me time to edit this response, when part might no longer be relevant).

However, in addition, the immoderate nature of your posting is exhibited by the numbers you quote. If right, the average annual salary of a worker in Nigeria roughly equates to the price of an IOSH membership - if an employer doesn't translate words on a website into action, then no wonder that someone might be looking for financial support from others to help with their career development.

[I do realise that the original poster has made it relatively easy to identify their employer, perhaps inadvisedly. However, you have brought this information right to the top of public sight, in a way which might be negatively viewed by that employer]

I think that perhaps you should review the Forum Rules, particularly Rule 4. Clearly I am not alone in considering that your contributions here have been, in your word "unhelpful".

In contrast, as example, Alan provided some constructive advice.

I think that someone posting on this site has 24 hours  to edit or delete their posting. If you were to miss that deadline, you could email

governance@iosh.com 

to ask them to action for you.

Consider me suitably admonished. When you are shown to be wrong then you need to acknowledge this. Just gets me angry when I see these forums being used by people asking for money from members. That said, Chizzy, if you are indeed genuine, please accept my apology

thanks 2 users thanked O'Donnell54548 for this useful post.
Roundtuit on 14/03/2021(UTC), Wailes900134 on 14/03/2021(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#14 Posted : 14 March 2021 22:00:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

A now abridged response thanks to recent postings:

I personally doubt the iosh coffers are set to accept every international currency so most likely GBP, EUR & US$ with the costs for exchange from any (potential) members local currency residing directly with the payee.

Ergo a request for the fee in an "accepted currency" would not truly be unreasonable.

Roundtuit  
#15 Posted : 14 March 2021 22:00:41(UTC)
Roundtuit

A now abridged response thanks to recent postings:

I personally doubt the iosh coffers are set to accept every international currency so most likely GBP, EUR & US$ with the costs for exchange from any (potential) members local currency residing directly with the payee.

Ergo a request for the fee in an "accepted currency" would not truly be unreasonable.

peter gotch  
#16 Posted : 15 March 2021 10:31:17(UTC)
peter gotch

Roundtuit - your point about currencies is exhibited by this text from an HSE training provider in Nigeria. Clearly they think that some customers would prefer to pay in $$ or ££.

Course Title: OTHM Level 6 Diploma in Occupational Health & Safety

Duration: 3-4 Months

Fee

Classroom ₦ 900,000, $4,313,  £3,250

Distance Learning  ₦ 650,000, $3,800,  £2,000

Virtual Class: ₦ 750,000, $4,100,  £2,500

Awarding Body: OTHM