Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Wilcock28256  
#1 Posted : 06 April 2021 10:19:41(UTC)
Wilcock28256

Hi I am currently looking to put together a short presentation for my IPD Chartership assessment - any advice on pros and cons please?

martynp1000  
#2 Posted : 07 April 2021 09:11:36(UTC)
martynp1000

Originally Posted by: Wilcock28256 Go to Quoted Post

Hi I am currently looking to put together a short presentation for my IPD Chartership assessment - any advice on pros and cons please?

Use the template / guidance from IOSH membership department, be yourself, DONT put everything you intend to say on your slides and then just read them word for word, and remember the 10 minute time limit - aim for 8 minutes and 10 should fall naturally

thanks 1 user thanked martynp1000 for this useful post.
Wilcock28256 on 07/04/2021(UTC)
jodieclark1510  
#3 Posted : 07 April 2021 12:37:56(UTC)
jodieclark1510

I agree with Martyn, the panel will tell you at around 8 minutes, if you go past 10 they will ask you to stop so it is worth practicing it in front of someone, a mirror etc (my cat got bored of mine). Follow the guidance, but don't bog down the slides with tons of information, make it clear and easy to read so that you can talk about it more in the interview section.

Mark-W  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2021 10:27:51(UTC)
Mark-W

With regards to powerpoint, I remember from my instructing days in the Army.

Each slide had a max of 7 lines of text and max 7 words per line. But then we were teaching something a bit special and relied a lot on experience.

Colour choice is also key. I think we had to use blue background with yellow text. That was supposedly the best combination for easy viewing.

Probably times have changed and different colours are now used

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 12 April 2021 13:44:42(UTC)
A Kurdziel

The problem with PowerPoint is that people often get obsessed with  slides themselves rather than their content. They just need to be clear  and act as an introduction to what you have to say. You should not expect to explain everything with your slides and unless you are  confident  with slide art  do not make them too complicated. You can produce beautiful presentations which are works of art, but they take time to put together  which you probably don’t have.

Remember the aim of the presentation is not to show that you know everything that there is to know about H&S but that you can present a H&S message in 10 minutes( that is short!)  in a confident and engaging manner that people might want to listen to.

How you come across is as important as the content.

Remember its about you first then the content then the slides.

biker1  
#6 Posted : 12 April 2021 13:52:49(UTC)
biker1

When I first started doing presentations, training etc many years ago, I experimented with various methods, e.g. cue cards, slide notes etc. None of them suited me, but I did need reminders of what I was going to talk about, especially in a high pressure occasion. I eventually settled on using Powerpoint slides as aide memoir bullet points that I could talk about, so they were as much for my benefit as the audience.