Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BenjiVilla  
#1 Posted : 10 January 2022 11:48:52(UTC)
BenjiVilla

Morning all, after being forced to close my own business I decided to embark on a new career path in H & S. I have no experience or prior knowledge of the sector although I do have a NVQ2 in H&S in the workplace which I did whilst working in a warehouse.

In December I purchased the NBEOSH general course in an online study format. This morning I have started NG1 Element 2 and I'm struggling with all of the information. Up to this point I have managed but I have struggled with recording each section. I have literally screenshot and written every page within the training course and so far I have printouts 3" thick and half a notepad full already.

Do I really need to record every single section for each element? for example today I started on "The basics of a Health & Safety Management System" which contains loads of sections detailing the ISO45001:2018. Are there different study approaches available such as cards that record the most important information I need to know for each section or similar?  How colleges can do this course in 5 days is beyond me but it does make me think how they deliver the course because to do it like I am would take months not weeks.

Kate  
#2 Posted : 10 January 2022 15:16:48(UTC)
Kate

I'm sorry for your horrible introduction to the profession.  It shouldn't be like that.

It sounds like you have bought a duff one.  Distance learning shouldn't be at all like that.

The better distance learning courses of any kind (I'm speaking as a veteran of these) give you a section of content to absorb, and then quiz you on it in some way to check your understanding of it. Isn't there any kind of test or activity after each section?

Using cards is as you suggest a good way of memorising infomation.  It's best to identify which key bits of information you are struggling to retain and then make your own cards.  That targets them at what you need.

Making notes is a valid way of studying but copying out the whole content is a waste of time.  Instead of this I suggest extracting what is important from each section and summarising it in your own words (although of course key terminology needs to be quoted exactly). Processing the information in this way instead of just copying it gives it a better chance of sinking in.

Does the course offer you a tutor to help you?

Cathy1975  
#3 Posted : 10 January 2022 15:27:27(UTC)
Cathy1975

It is extremly difficult for you to absorb everything the elements ask you to, although I do agree with Kate in that copying the whole content will not help.

When I did my NEBOSH online I had a point of contact via email that I could ask questions to.

I found this book helped me a lot 

Good luck with your course and exam.

Edited by user 10 January 2022 15:28:26(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 1 user thanked Cathy1975 for this useful post.
BenjiVilla on 11/01/2022(UTC)
BenjiVilla  
#4 Posted : 11 January 2022 09:58:47(UTC)
BenjiVilla

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

I'm sorry for your horrible introduction to the profession.  It shouldn't be like that.

It sounds like you have bought a duff one.  Distance learning shouldn't be at all like that.

The better distance learning courses of any kind (I'm speaking as a veteran of these) give you a section of content to absorb, and then quiz you on it in some way to check your understanding of it. Isn't there any kind of test or activity after each section?

Using cards is as you suggest a good way of memorising infomation.  It's best to identify which key bits of information you are struggling to retain and then make your own cards.  That targets them at what you need.

Making notes is a valid way of studying but copying out the whole content is a waste of time.  Instead of this I suggest extracting what is important from each section and summarising it in your own words (although of course key terminology needs to be quoted exactly). Processing the information in this way instead of just copying it gives it a better chance of sinking in.

Does the course offer you a tutor to help you?

Good morning Kate, thanks for your reply. There is a quiz after each section yes. In regards to this "Instead of this I suggest extracting what is important from each section and summarising it in your own words", the issue I am having is as I struggle to identify what the important bits of each section are. I will however look into this as it will certainly be an easier method than reading each section of each element then writing the whole thing down!

Kate  
#5 Posted : 11 January 2022 10:20:55(UTC)
Kate

If the quizzes are any good, they will help you identify what topics you are shaky on and those would be good areas to focus on.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
BenjiVilla on 11/01/2022(UTC)
BenjiVilla  
#6 Posted : 11 January 2022 10:25:24(UTC)
BenjiVilla

Originally Posted by: Kate Go to Quoted Post

If the quizzes are any good, they will help you identify what topics you are shaky on and those would be good areas to focus on.

Ah I see, thanks Kate that has helped me a lot!

thanks 1 user thanked BenjiVilla for this useful post.
Kate on 11/01/2022(UTC)
LorraineCFA  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2022 10:02:55(UTC)
LorraineCFA

Hi

Studying for the NEBOSH GC - my training provider isn't helpful - on all 3 mocks I have failed and have asked for the answer paper to see what should be included and what I am doing wrong.  Unfortunately, they have answered they do not give answer papers and it is for me to develop my skills.

I think I just need someone who has NEBOSH to go through the scenario with me and see what I am doing wrong - oh and my exam is on 8th June eeks.

Once someone has explained it, I am sure I will rectify my answering to meet the requirement.

Hope someone can spare me 15 minutes on Teams?

Thanks so much in advance

Lorraine 

dgraham709  
#8 Posted : 18 May 2022 12:53:12(UTC)
dgraham709

Hi LorraineCFA have you looked at the Resources page of the NEBOSH website? It has study guides and sample papers.

https://www.nebosh.org.uk/digital-assessments/certificate/resources-to-help-you-prepare/