Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
G.McC-L  
#1 Posted : 12 April 2023 09:50:47(UTC)
G.McC-L

Good Day All,

Have just received an Enviromental Bulletin from an outside source stating that the Environment Agency, NRW, SEPA et al, are proceeding with the banning of AFFF (PFOA) under the POP directive / regulations, and that as of 1st Jan 2023, they can only be used on sites where the runoff can be contained, the definition of which is:

"The definition of contained in this instance is that there should be no available pathways to the environment, ie no discharges to watercourses or allowed to soak into the ground."

Since my employer is a construction company this is going to be something of a challenge. There is no guiidance or information on the HSE or IOSH websites on this matter, nor is there any information on Network Rails Safety Central, RSSB Website or indeed any of the construction industry forums. This issue seems to be flying under the radar for many industries.

Resisiting the temptaition for a general whinge, can any one advise on the following:

• Are there any suitable / recommended replacements for AFFF (PFOA) that can be used on site
  • Disposal instructions for AFFF (PFOA)

Would appreciate any links or advice you may have.

Thank you.

thanks 1 user thanked G.McC-L for this useful post.
Safetybat on 14/04/2023(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 12 April 2023 10:06:09(UTC)
Roundtuit

What date was on the information?

Typically with any legislated change there is normally a twelve to eighteen month "change over" arising from a Socio-Economic Impact Risk Assessment

ECHA Risk Assessment Committe (RAC) has only just backed the proposal on 24th March

https://echa.europa.eu/-/echa-s-risk-assessment-committee-backs-pfas-ban-in-firefighting-foams

Meanwhile HM Gov is currently in consultation:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/amendments-to-the-persistent-organic-pollutants-pops-regulation

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 12 April 2023 10:06:09(UTC)
Roundtuit

What date was on the information?

Typically with any legislated change there is normally a twelve to eighteen month "change over" arising from a Socio-Economic Impact Risk Assessment

ECHA Risk Assessment Committe (RAC) has only just backed the proposal on 24th March

https://echa.europa.eu/-/echa-s-risk-assessment-committee-backs-pfas-ban-in-firefighting-foams

Meanwhile HM Gov is currently in consultation:

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/amendments-to-the-persistent-organic-pollutants-pops-regulation

grim72  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2023 15:01:45(UTC)
grim72

Have a look for water mist / P50 extinguishers which might be a suitable alternative for you?

Regarding the phase out of AFFF there were a couple of decent links I found as to the background but most were also selling their extinguishers so only "non advertising" reference I could find is below:

https://www.fia.uk.com/news/new-fia-guidance-document-foam-extinguisher-restrictions-briefing.html

G.McC-L  
#5 Posted : 18 April 2023 10:55:49(UTC)
G.McC-L

Good Day All,

Thank you for your replies much appreciated.

Have conducted further research since my original post and from information published by the Environment Agency the use of AFFF (PFOA) will be banned from the 4 July 2025, see following link to UK Fire Association website: https://www.uk-fa.org/fire-trade/other-downloads?download=80:external-comms-on-pfoa-foams

There would appear to be several alternatives on the market as direct replacements to AFFF, however I have no information at this moment on their suitability or effectiveness. 

I am sure that more information on this subject will be forthcoming in the next few months, however it is disappointing to note that with the exception of the UK Enviromental Protections Agencies and Fire Associations, there has been no coverage on this subject from the Health & Safety Executive, ORR or other Safety Agencies and Organisations.

Will follow with interest.

Edited by user 18 April 2023 10:57:13(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

jfw  
#6 Posted : 19 April 2023 09:36:53(UTC)
jfw

Had my extinguishers serviced last month and the contractor made me aware of the upcomming ban on these.

He explained that the background to it was the cancer risk associated with the longterm exposure to the chemicals in the foam, espicially with professional firefighters and those involved with the manufacture and servicing of these extinguishers.

I have a small number of these on site, less than 20 and we are a low risk business, not having needed to use an extinguisher since the business was founded over 25 years ago.

He advised that there was a very low risk if we were to discharge one of these extinguishers, but that as our extinguishers would be due for replacement before the ban comes in, he would swap them out ahead of the ban.

chris42  
#7 Posted : 19 April 2023 10:37:16(UTC)
chris42

From the link it seems you can go beyond 2025. Extract "Most extinguishers containing PFOA being maintained under service contract will have been replaced or refilled using “C6” foam already – ahead of the deadline."

However, the next bit seems to say this will only be until the end of the decade and we will find out later in the year.

Can you tell the type of foam in them from looking at them ( ie is it noted on the extinguisher somewhere)

Chris

achrn  
#8 Posted : 19 April 2023 13:49:42(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: chris42 Go to Quoted Post

Can you tell the type of foam in them from looking at them ( ie is it noted on the extinguisher somewhere)

I wondered that, noting that the ban is not AFFF per se, it's a ban on PFOA, which used to be common in AFFF.  Looking at extingusihers in my office ours have a nice green label saying they contain "Eco foam" but nothing indicating what this actually means (and no more detail in the paperwork at the last servicing). It could mean it's foam that desn't use PFOA, or it could be some other baloney greenwashing. 

chris42  
#9 Posted : 20 November 2023 17:01:43(UTC)
chris42

Just reviewing this topic. Is there any more hard and fast guidance on what is happening and when exactly. When I looked before there seemed be a lot of consultation etc but no decisions. Is there a direct replacement for the PFOA foam. Will it just be a case of changing to C6 foam and then wait for them to eventually remove that as an option as my previous review suggested this would be a problem also by the end of the decade.

Chris