Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Zaki Masood  
#1 Posted : 30 May 2023 13:30:48(UTC)
Zaki Masood

Hello Everyone,

Let's discuss the IOSH Managing Safely certification in this Career Forum.

Share your thoughts, experiences, and questions related to this certification. It's a great opportunity to learn from each other and enhance our career prospects in occupational safety and health.

Looking forward to your contributions!

Zaki Masood

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 30 May 2023 13:42:55(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Zaki

Welcome to the Forums!

I don't the question you have posed has ever been discussed on these Forums before (at least not the way you have asked it).

Perhaps it would help if you gave the readers an idea of why you are asking the question.

So, as example are you considering doing IOSH Managing Safely yourself or thinking of putting some colleagues through the training and might want to discuss the pros and cons of the course content and whether it is better done face to face or by remote learning.

Or you might have recent done IOSH Managing Safely, in which case it would be helpful to hear what you thought of it.

[Not a training course I have ever done. Have helped deliver it but that was many, many years ago and I have seen criticism that the course materials have not been updated in a long time]

Highpants  
#3 Posted : 05 July 2023 08:27:54(UTC)
Highpants

Originally Posted by: Zaki Masood Go to Quoted Post

Hello Everyone,

Share your thoughts, experiences, and questions related to this certification. It's a great opportunity to learn from each other and enhance our career prospects in occupational safety and health.

Zaki Masood

I first came accross the IOSH Managing Safely back in the 90's, I did the IOSH Managing Construction Safely, it was spread over 12 Modules and to be fair it was a pretty good course. However fast forward to around 2013 and although I had done this course I had to attend myself due to Contract/Client requirements, back then one had to renew the Cert every 3 or 5 Years so the last time I did this course was 2018. To put it as simple as I can, the courses I've attended since the very first one many years ago were absolute rubbish and quite simply at a standard more suitable to attendees of 11 to 16 years old. It wasnt even close to the standard of the original from the 90s and to be honest its embarrassing to sit through. Even though I'm way past that standard as I'm Chartered etc the current standard of the IOSH Managing Safely is very, very low.

A Kurdziel  
#4 Posted : 05 July 2023 09:34:16(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Overall IOSH managing safely is poor, very poor.

The slides are about 20 years old.

I am not sure it is pitched  at the right level-  not high enough for   actual managers but too high for a charge hand type level.   

The hazard module is pointless

I don’t like they way they explain risk assessment

Not enough about controls

HSSnail  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2023 15:14:58(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

Overall IOSH managing safely is poor, very poor.

The slides are about 20 years old.

I am not sure it is pitched  at the right level-  not high enough for   actual managers but too high for a charge hand type level.   

The hazard module is pointless

I don’t like they way they explain risk assessment

Not enough about controls

having just spent teh last 2 days teaching this course I will politly disagree with you, and i hope all of the people who attended will aso disagree - sounds to me like you have had a bad experiance with the course provider. The animation/powerpoint is very musch a framework its all the other stuff the tutor puts in that makes this course useful, so hopefuly as i know my workplace fairly well i have made it very relevant, by using examples from our workplace and industry for the people who have attended.

A Kurdziel  
#6 Posted : 06 July 2023 08:26:56(UTC)
A Kurdziel

When we deliver it we use it to guide us where we want to go but rely on material we have gathered over the years. One possibility (quite a 21st century idea), is that IOSH jettison the slides and  just create a basic checklist. You deliver your course, using your materials etc but then submit it to IOSH who confirm that it covers what is required and send you certification and a T-shirt.  

Kate  
#7 Posted : 06 July 2023 16:31:03(UTC)
Kate

I did get feedback from a colleague who did Managing Safely, who said the course was fantastic and inspiring, but then did a refresher and said that was rubbish.

I should think a lot comes down to who is delivering it and how.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
HSSnail on 07/07/2023(UTC)
HSSnail  
#8 Posted : 07 July 2023 08:43:45(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

When we deliver it we use it to guide us where we want to go but rely on material we have gathered over the years. One possibility (quite a 21st century idea), is that IOSH jettison the slides and  just create a basic checklist. You deliver your course, using your materials etc but then submit it to IOSH who confirm that it covers what is required and send you certification and a T-shirt.   

You can insert a nunber of your won slides, to be honest i have never bothered, depending on what the people do (we have very divers activities) i just switch to slides on us once i have have used the IOSH ones to dicsuss the basic principles. So very similar to you A, As Kate says i think its like all courses the real value is in teh trainer (sorry if that sounds big headed)

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 07/07/2023(UTC)
PDarlow  
#9 Posted : 07 July 2023 09:34:27(UTC)
PDarlow

My experience is as follows: I took Managing Safely over 10 years ago and found it relevant at the time.

Latest experience is as follows: had the MD agree that we put our middle managemnt through the course (if only to help them understand they have actual responsibility and some accountability for the teams they manage). However, the tutor asked my colleagues if we had a H&S manager on site, in which they replied yes i.e. me. I didn't attend or I would have had something to say about the next question / comment from the tutor. He then questioned why they were undertaking the course if they had H&S already represented. - this was 3 managers and 3 supervisors from my company.

Needless to say (and I wont mention the provider), I will not use their services again.

thanks 3 users thanked PDarlow for this useful post.
Kate on 07/07/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 07/07/2023(UTC), A Kurdziel on 07/07/2023(UTC)
HSSnail  
#10 Posted : 07 July 2023 10:10:59(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: PDarlow Go to Quoted Post

He then questioned why they were undertaking the course if they had H&S already represented. - this was 3 managers and 3 supervisors from my company.

Needless to say (and I wont mention the provider), I will not use their services again.

Difficult to understand what they meant, but if im doing training for outside companies the first thing i ask for is copys of safety policys and an undertsanding of what that company expects form the people that are attending, is it just as you say an appreciation of the legislation etc, or is more specific, so i may have asked a similar question but hopefuly in a better way.  I have had outside companies do training for my collegues in the past where i dont have the compitancy to do myself, and yes i have said either - dont come back or in some cases never send that individual trainer again. 

Edited by user 07 July 2023 10:11:51(UTC)  | Reason: Dyslexia and eye surgery is not great for spelling!

A Kurdziel  
#11 Posted : 07 July 2023 12:58:16(UTC)
A Kurdziel

When we deliver the course (mainly internally but we offer it to external people as well) we tell delegates  that the course will not make them H&S  experts,  but it will enable them to better understand their responsibilities as managers. We have to keep reminding that they are managers and that they will be responsible for managing  H&S safety, not the H&S team.

They should get an understanding of :

• The legal framework- this is the easiest bit I think
  • Identifying hazards- most people are good at this
  • Assessing the risks posed by the hazards- some people struggle with this
  • Identifying and adopting suitable controls-the hierarchy -I think that this is the hardest bit, which drives peoples obsession with PPE.
  • Accident investigation, auditing and  management systems are light relief.

One thing that the course does not do is describe what a manager is supposed to do as opposed to someone further down the food chain.

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
PDarlow on 07/07/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 08/07/2023(UTC)
PDarlow  
#12 Posted : 07 July 2023 13:10:24(UTC)
PDarlow

AK, what you describe is exactly the rationale behind wanting to send managers and supervisors on the course. When you have the tutor questioning the relevance of managers and supervisors being on the course in the first instance is almost the antithesis of what we hoped they would gain from it.

Even now, some managers at my site can't quite grasp the concept that they have H&S responsibilities for their teams which is not very helpful when trying to raise the profile and improve the safety culture. I trust this is a common barrier that a fair few safety professional encounter in their career.

thanks 2 users thanked PDarlow for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 07/07/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 08/07/2023(UTC)
mike350  
#13 Posted : 10 July 2023 14:03:35(UTC)
mike350

I started my qualifications with IOSH Managing Safely nearly 30 years ago, it was delivered by an ex HSE Inspector who was able to use his personal experiences to illustrate what he was teaching us and most of what he taught us has stuck with me through my career.

I've used the course as a tool for educating Operations Managers about their individual responsibilities ever since, for them the General Certificate contains to much detail and thats part of my role to unravel. From the feedback I get the quality of  The Managing Safely course is almost always down to the Instructor, like any other training, get an Instructor who can relate what he's talking about to personal experience and it's much more engaging than someone reading direct from a powerpoint!

thanks 2 users thanked mike350 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 10/07/2023(UTC), M.cooper.99 on 11/07/2023(UTC)
Taha Abdul ghani  
#14 Posted : 19 July 2023 07:35:31(UTC)
Taha Abdul ghani

Originally Posted by: Zaki Masood Go to Quoted Post

Hello Everyone,

Zaki Masood

I'm excited to join this discussion about the IOSH Managing Safely certification. I recently completed the certification, and I must say it has been a valuable experience for my career in occupational safety and health.

The course provided me with a comprehensive understanding of various safety management principles and techniques. It covered a wide range of topics, including risk assessment, incident investigation, and legal compliance, which are crucial in ensuring a safe working environment.

The best part was the practical approach of the course, which allowed me to apply the knowledge directly to real-life scenarios. The case studies and group discussions were particularly insightful, as they provided a platform to learn from the experiences of fellow professionals in the field.

I would love to hear about your experiences with the IOSH Managing Safely certification or any questions you may have. Let's use this forum to share our insights and help each other grow in our safety and health careers.

up north  
#15 Posted : 13 August 2023 17:58:56(UTC)
up north

I think every advisor faces this responsibility acceptance challenge, which is what managing safely is all about. I agree it can be down to the presenter in some cases as to the experience of the attendees, however the slides do give all the information a manager needs. i found, whilst delivering, the presented had to adapt the material to suite the audience, especially the garden centre video, which was particularly poor. I found in my company at the time, (major construction and FM) that utilising Managing, supervising and Working safely training packages worked well. Supervising we got the contractor supervisors to attend and that made a huge change at site.

Originally Posted by: PDarlow Go to Quoted Post

AK, what you describe is exactly the rationale behind wanting to send managers and supervisors on the course. When you have the tutor questioning the relevance of managers and supervisors being on the course in the first instance is almost the antithesis of what we hoped they would gain from it.

Even now, some managers at my site can't quite grasp the concept that they have H&S responsibilities for their teams which is not very helpful when trying to raise the profile and improve the safety culture. I trust this is a common barrier that a fair few safety professional encounter in their career.