Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
SKC7  
#1 Posted : 17 October 2023 11:53:56(UTC)
SKC7

Hi all, 

I've set a personal goal to widen my EHS experience to more industries other than manufacturing and I want to achieve this by working for a consultancy firm within the next 24 months. 

I'm currently a multisite EHS advisor working for a large areospace manufacturing organisation. Since I graduated from university, I have worked in a health and safety advisory role for two large manufacturing organisations. I have a first-class business degree and hold the NEBOSH National Diploma in Occupational Health and Safety (2015 spec). I'm also a memeber of IOSH (GradIOSH) and aiming to be chartered within the next 12 months. 

I'm in my mid twenties and do not have or plan to have children in the foreseeable future therefore I am open to travel in the UK. As well as this, I don't have any personal factors or considerations that would limit me from travelling. 

My question is how do I make myself more appealing to consultancies? I understand I do not have consultancy experience but I know I will be a great consultant once I have been trained, perhaps working for a senior consultant. 

I only have manufacturing experience but as we all know these skills are transferable to other industries. I'm motivated to learn and progress in my career.

Any advice from those who have been in my position or those who have worked in consultancies would be much appreciated. I know where I want to be, I just need advice on how to get there!

Thank you. 

Kapil 

antbruce001  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2023 14:59:43(UTC)
antbruce001

Kapil,

At the moment there is a shortage of H&S Consultants with a notable number of job vacancies if you know where to look.

You are quite correct that your experience in site based manufacturing companies is in no way a hindrance to working as a consultant. In fact, many will see this as an advantage.

I wouldn't worry about what you need to do to be more attractive to consultancy companies, at the moment it's more about what they can offer you to entice you in. However, if you do want to develop an area to improve your chances, try picking up the training and skills to do fire risk assessments. Lots of consultancies offer both EHS and Fire Safety consultancy. As such, someone who can do both is a great potential asset. 

Consultancy can be a lonely profession, as you usually work from home, and rarely meet your work colleagues face to face. This doesn't suit everyone. 

However, an extra word of warning. Be careful what you wish for!! Many consultancy jobs focus on low level EHS matters, in low risk environments (for FM companies) and these very quickly become unchallenging and to a large degree unfulfilling, Make sure any consultancy company that you consider working for can offer the range and depth of work you need to find the right level of challenge to keep you happy and content in your work.

Hope it helps,

Tony.

thanks 2 users thanked antbruce001 for this useful post.
MikeKelly on 20/10/2023(UTC), SKC7 on 13/11/2023(UTC)
Liddell45728  
#3 Posted : 19 October 2023 12:14:09(UTC)
Liddell45728

Originally Posted by: antbruce001 Go to Quoted Post

Kapil,

At the moment there is a shortage of H&S Consultants with a notable number of job vacancies if you know where to look.

You are quite correct that your experience in site based manufacturing companies is in no way a hindrance to working as a consultant. In fact, many will see this as an advantage.

I wouldn't worry about what you need to do to be more attractive to consultancy companies, at the moment it's more about what they can offer you to entice you in. However, if you do want to develop an area to improve your chances, try picking up the training and skills to do fire risk assessments. Lots of consultancies offer both EHS and Fire Safety consultancy. As such, someone who can do both is a great potential asset. 

Consultancy can be a lonely profession, as you usually work from home, and rarely meet your work colleagues face to face. This doesn't suit everyone. 

However, an extra word of warning. Be careful what you wish for!! Many consultancy jobs focus on low level EHS matters, in low risk environments (for FM companies) and these very quickly become unchallenging and to a large degree unfulfilling, Make sure any consultancy company that you consider working for can offer the range and depth of work you need to find the right level of challenge to keep you happy and content in your work.

Hope it helps,

Tony.

Kapil,

Firstly, well done for looking to widen your experience and skill-sets. I'm sure that with your background you'll be a real asset to any consultancy.

Secondly, just to pick up on what antbruce001 said, do be careful. Many consultancies make their money by you doing the hard work and they do work you hard. You could find yourself running around for relatively little reward, so ensure that you know what is on offer, incuding payment and turnaround time for reporting and travel. If you are expected to use your own vehicle, then there should be some return for the wear and tear.

Best of luck to you. I hope that it works out well.

thanks 4 users thanked Liddell45728 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 19/10/2023(UTC), MikeKelly on 20/10/2023(UTC), SKC7 on 13/11/2023(UTC), Agieb on 31/12/2023(UTC)
SKC7  
#4 Posted : 13 November 2023 19:26:55(UTC)
SKC7

Thank you Tony and Liddell45728 for your guidance and factors to look out for. It's very much appreciated! :)