Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mattyeod  
#1 Posted : 28 February 2024 09:28:26(UTC)
mattyeod

Hi Folks,

Was wondering if anyone had ever tried to fulfil point 9.4 in the JCOP Fire Prevention On Construction Sites, and how this done? Is it just a case of turning on a hydrant or is there a specific pressure test for this?

9.4 In the case of high fire risk sites, following the agreement for water supplies with the fire and rescue service (see 7.2), on-site water flow should be tested and recorded before work commences and thereafter every three months, at which time all valves should be exercised.

firesafety101  
#2 Posted : 28 February 2024 11:03:06(UTC)
firesafety101

I have to say I don't know the answer but I would not expect a building contractor to possess the equipment needed for carrying out the required tests and record pressures and flow.

As a former firefighter I was regularly testing the Dry Risers on the many tower blocks in our station area.  Unsure if this still happens or do plumbing contractors do it.

I suggest contacting the local Fire & Rescue Service for further information.

In the wake of the Grenfell tragedy I would expect written records of pressure and flow tests to be called upon in any similar tragedy.

mattyeod  
#3 Posted : 05 March 2024 08:37:16(UTC)
mattyeod

Thanks firesafety101 for the feedback. Yeah, I'm really struggling to find any information on how this is done on a construction site. I'll put out a contact to the local FRS and see what information I can get back.