Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Svick1984  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2024 08:37:23(UTC)
Svick1984

Hi all,

So I found out recently that one of our drivers has - with the best of intentions - created their own sweeper for attaching to the forks of our FLT, so they can sweep our warehouse yard. I've told them to stop using it until I can risk assess it. Now, other than making sure it is of sound construction, the forks fit properly into the fork pockets (i.e. not too large that could compromise securing it) and that it can be made secure (which currently, it doesn't have, so would have to be modified) onto the forks, is there anything else I really need to consider?

As far as I am concerned, it doesn't need to undergo a LOLER assessment or TE because it isn't load-bearing or lifting/lowering, it is simply an attachment that operates about a foot off the ground which just sweepes/brushes the floor. Or am I wrong? If so, why? 

I know we could buy one, but a) it's an added expense and b) it may​​​​​​​ not be necessary.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 27 March 2024 09:30:12(UTC)
Roundtuit

You need to check with the FLT supplier (or rental company).

Whilst it is common to see attachments on forks the primary design strength is for raising, carrying and lowering a load.

When we changed rental company some years back their engineer was horified to note we had a snow plough attachment in our yard which was swiftly followed with a formal letter advising on what basis the rental contract was permitted - not keen to see the lower mast bearings damaged by running in to things.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 28/03/2024(UTC), Svick1984 on 28/03/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 27 March 2024 09:30:12(UTC)
Roundtuit

You need to check with the FLT supplier (or rental company).

Whilst it is common to see attachments on forks the primary design strength is for raising, carrying and lowering a load.

When we changed rental company some years back their engineer was horified to note we had a snow plough attachment in our yard which was swiftly followed with a formal letter advising on what basis the rental contract was permitted - not keen to see the lower mast bearings damaged by running in to things.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 28/03/2024(UTC), Svick1984 on 28/03/2024(UTC)
Acorns  
#4 Posted : 27 March 2024 09:30:23(UTC)
Acorns

If it’s just fixed brushes, unless got runs back nd forth doubt it would be much use!
Perhaps look at consequential risks of driver being focused on the seeep and not hazards around them etc.
thanks 2 users thanked Acorns for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 27/03/2024(UTC), Svick1984 on 28/03/2024(UTC)
PDarlow  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2024 10:32:54(UTC)
PDarlow

What debris are they requiring to tidy up?

Can the processes that cause the waste be improved?

If it gets to a point where a sweeper attachment is a preferred option of the FLT operator, does that not point to reviewing the housekeeping standards, or lack there of?

What is the input form the warehouse manager / supervisor? Surely there is a housekeeping policy.

In my experience FLT operators are reluctant to get out of their seats and devise all sorts of well intended excuses not to tidy up immediately after themselves. It is the department managers' responsibility to ensure housekeeping protocols are implmented and enforced.

As for FLt sweeper attachments, I would not recommend their use.

Paul

thanks 1 user thanked PDarlow for this useful post.
Svick1984 on 28/03/2024(UTC)