Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CdC  
#1 Posted : 08 April 2024 13:53:35(UTC)
CdC

Dear Forum, I have an electrical safety engineer arguing that a HV connector is IP2X because it will not allow a 12mm steel ball to enter the connector. However, you can fit for finger into the connector.

The Safety engineer is arguing that as long as one of the conditions of object ingress or finger access is met, then the connector is IP2x. They also state that the sophisticated software controls, etc. mean that there is no hazard even if someone would touch the connector.

My layperson understanding of BS EN 60529 is that unless both conditions have been met (see 5.), that a connector can be deemed IP2X compliant. From the same standard, I also understand that if something has the potential to give an electric shock, e.g. under very unlikely fault conditions, it should be treated as a hazardous live part (see 3.5.1)

Could I please invite comment/reassurance/criticism on the above? Hoping someone here had to look into this themselves.

Thanks

firesafety101  
#2 Posted : 08 April 2024 14:45:08(UTC)
firesafety101

Its 12.5 mm or 12.5 mm sphere.

Everbody has different finger sizes so I would ignore the finger.

CdC  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2024 08:15:21(UTC)
CdC

Originally Posted by: firesafety101 Go to Quoted Post

Ah! But the 12mm sphere does not ingress, however the standard tapered finger does!

HSSnail  
#4 Posted : 09 April 2024 10:10:47(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: CdC Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: firesafety101 Go to Quoted Post

Ah! But the 12mm sphere does not ingress, however the standard tapered finger does!

Not familiar with this standard but reminds me of the old factory act where you needed a gap of 18 inches between a moving part and a fixed object. If you happened to be 19 inches wide - tough! Thats the trouble with these standard size's - humans are not standard, but sometime you have to set a limit.