Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bod212  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2024 12:16:22(UTC)
bod212

When a risk assessment is undertaken, can the severity rating that you begin with ever be lowered?

I fully understand the likelihood side of things, mind, but someone has asked for my view on the severity rating.

Evans38004  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2024 12:38:10(UTC)
Evans38004

Can you dilute a chemical?

Can you lower the current / voltage? 240v to 110v

Can you lower the height that someone may fall? e.g. having a netting system in place 

Do you consider that these would reduce the severity?

thanks 1 user thanked Evans38004 for this useful post.
Kate on 15/04/2024(UTC)
achrn  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2024 13:32:30(UTC)
achrn

Originally Posted by: bod212 Go to Quoted Post

When a risk assessment is undertaken, can the severity rating that you begin with ever be lowered?

I fully understand the likelihood side of things, mind, but someone has asked for my view on the severity rating.

Absolutely yes you can.

For example, a fall from height risk you could install sprung nets or 'crash mats' on the ground.  Soft mats on the ground don't affect the likelihood of falling at all, but they reduce the severity of the outcomes of falling. An energy absorbing fall arrest reduces the severity of the fall (though you could still have severe negative outcomes if you don't have a rescue plan for the suspended person).

Speed limits are mostly about reducing severity of impacts.

First aiders don't reduce the chance of an injury occurring.

Fire extinguishers don't prevent fires breaking out.

Lots of measures address severity and not likelihood.

thanks 2 users thanked achrn for this useful post.
Martin Fieldingt on 15/04/2024(UTC), Kate on 15/04/2024(UTC)