Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
DrewMcLaren  
#1 Posted : 16 April 2024 11:00:02(UTC)
DrewMcLaren

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with under-desk treadmills.

We are planning to set one up in a spare office to be used whilst on meetings and calls.

I have planned to carry out a risk assessment and also create a set of rules that will be placed at the location

• Dont go over X speed
  • Wear sensible shoes
  • only use for X time 

etc etc

Is there anything else that I should be considering? out with general maintenance and PAT testing

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 16 April 2024 11:30:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

Like many "sounds like a good idea" - when it sounds too good to be true.

1) The equipment has weight and so will be awkward to re-position

2) Individuals are exactly that, no two are the same so a set-up for A will not readily suit "B"

3) A treadmill is intended for walking in an upright position not sitting (sorry quick internet search of under desk shows users sat down some looking pretty uncomfortable)

4) The noise etc. will be a distraction to the meeting / call for both parties

Put the treadmill in a quiet room and avoid multi-tasking

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
DrewMcLaren on 17/04/2024(UTC), DrewMcLaren on 17/04/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 16 April 2024 11:30:11(UTC)
Roundtuit

Like many "sounds like a good idea" - when it sounds too good to be true.

1) The equipment has weight and so will be awkward to re-position

2) Individuals are exactly that, no two are the same so a set-up for A will not readily suit "B"

3) A treadmill is intended for walking in an upright position not sitting (sorry quick internet search of under desk shows users sat down some looking pretty uncomfortable)

4) The noise etc. will be a distraction to the meeting / call for both parties

Put the treadmill in a quiet room and avoid multi-tasking

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
DrewMcLaren on 17/04/2024(UTC), DrewMcLaren on 17/04/2024(UTC)
peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2024 13:51:12(UTC)
peter gotch

Drew

Who is the bright spark behind this idea and why have they dropped this one on to the Safety Man?!?!

If you provide this for Roundtuit's person A, it is reasonable to assume that B will want one as well.

As will other people in the meeting.

Who is footing/treading the treadbill?

whiirrrr, whiirrr - "What did you say?"

whiirrrr, whiirrr - "Sorry, please could you repeat the question?"

Edited by user 16 April 2024 13:53:51(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

thanks 2 users thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 16/04/2024(UTC), Yossarian on 17/04/2024(UTC)
A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 16 April 2024 15:14:12(UTC)
A Kurdziel

So is the treadmill intended to provide an opportunity for exercise or is a way to generate electricity for the business as part of the decarbonization policy?

But seriously when I am working at my desk I can’t stand any sort of distraction; the idea that someone in the office is going to be on their treadmill talking on the phone  and typing reports sounds like the office from hell.  File under ideas too daft to consider!

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
peter gotch on 16/04/2024(UTC)
DrewMcLaren  
#6 Posted : 16 April 2024 23:56:16(UTC)
DrewMcLaren

Thanks all,

The desks will essentially be hot desks and will be booked as and when required. They will be placed in two separate offices located in a corridor en route to the main office toilets. This should ensure that they are not distracting for other members of staff.

Most people tend to use headsets during calls and meetings, which helps to reduce any background noise.

The idea for these desks was brought forward by one of our managers who lost a lot of weight using a desk treadmill at home. There is a lot of support for the benefits of desk treadmills for employee well-being, so I'm happy to help if it keeps some folks engaged.

just wanted to make sure I had all bases covered

cheers anyway

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 17 April 2024 07:50:03(UTC)
Roundtuit

Given your intention to bring a new and unexpected (in an office environment) risk to the workplace I would suggest a quick chat with your Employer Liability insurer.

There is a world of difference between "placing rules" and providing "adequate instruction & training".

Many gym members moan about the providers induction session - they were introduced for a reason.

You may also wish to consider room access control so only the initiated can be present.

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 17/04/2024(UTC), Yossarian on 17/04/2024(UTC), DrewMcLaren on 17/04/2024(UTC), A Kurdziel on 17/04/2024(UTC), Yossarian on 17/04/2024(UTC), DrewMcLaren on 17/04/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 17 April 2024 07:50:03(UTC)
Roundtuit

Given your intention to bring a new and unexpected (in an office environment) risk to the workplace I would suggest a quick chat with your Employer Liability insurer.

There is a world of difference between "placing rules" and providing "adequate instruction & training".

Many gym members moan about the providers induction session - they were introduced for a reason.

You may also wish to consider room access control so only the initiated can be present.

thanks 6 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 17/04/2024(UTC), Yossarian on 17/04/2024(UTC), DrewMcLaren on 17/04/2024(UTC), A Kurdziel on 17/04/2024(UTC), Yossarian on 17/04/2024(UTC), DrewMcLaren on 17/04/2024(UTC)
Yossarian  
#9 Posted : 17 April 2024 08:32:53(UTC)
Yossarian

I recall visiting a Victorian jail once where one of the punishments was putting the inmates on a treadmill for no reason, the thing that vexed me at the time was they didn't even use the energy generated for any other purpose. It was stopped following prison reforms as it was deemed a cruel and inhuman punishment.

How the world turns.

Edited by user 17 April 2024 08:34:12(UTC)  | Reason: typo

thanks 2 users thanked Yossarian for this useful post.
Kate on 17/04/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 17/04/2024(UTC)
firesafety101  
#10 Posted : 17 April 2024 09:45:22(UTC)
firesafety101

A bit late for April Fools Day, that was over 2 weeks ago.