Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Pubcat  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2024 09:15:44(UTC)
Pubcat

I've an NCRQ Level 6 H&S Diploma, and a mere 8 months experience working in H&S (auditing telecoms sites).Since being made redundant 9 months ago I've struggled to find a new job. Would doing a level 3 fire certificate improve my prospects? Almost every job I see advertised in H&S asks for experience. Are prospects better in fire safety? Any advice gratefully received. Chris.

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 20 June 2024 10:49:54(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Chris

Difficult to say and depends to some extent as to what career experience you had before deciding to choose to be an H&S professional.

Recruiters will set their person specs and these are often grossly over optimistic, though there are some employers who are quite happy not to develop staff and instead headhunt those who already have their idea of what constitutes the right level of qualifications AND experience.

Doing the NEBOSH FIre Certificate might get you into a business that sells cheap, templated fire risk assessments, but so owuld e.g. doing some asbestos qualification as there are plenty of companies selling cheap, templated asbestos survey services as well.

BUT, fire risk assessments are likely to come under ever greater scrutiy in the aftermath of Grenfell (and other incidents) and I think that the market will tighten as buyers look for people who understand fire and structural engineering and assuming you don't have qualifications and experience in one of those disciplines, then may be the best a NEBOSH Fire Certificate would do to help you would be to get you in at ground level to learn more under the wing of people with solid understanding of the risks.

My suggestion is that you have a good look at your CV and consider why it isn't selling YOU and then amend to make it sing out louder for YOU. In doing so, consider what you were doing in terms of H,S and environment in any previous types of job.

northarm  
#3 Posted : 20 June 2024 21:07:44(UTC)
northarm

Fire risk assessment will be a growing industry in the next few years however competence in completion of a FRA is going to become a requirement through Building Safety Act. It is likely you would need to be on one of the registers such as IFSMs tiered register. If you want to go down the FRA route then I would look at a course that would be recognised by the registers. I have always found IFSM helpful so maybe give them a call for advice alternatively the FPA offer good courses. Hope this helps and good luck

thanks 1 user thanked northarm for this useful post.
Gill Beattie on 01/07/2024(UTC)