Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KaranIOSH  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2024 12:52:23(UTC)
KaranIOSH

How do we find Health and Safety jobs that don't underpay workers as it seems to be a trend where recruiters are regulalry trying to pay low for safety proffesionals. Someone that holds a Nebosh should be paid a minimum of 45k salary, whats everyones views on this?

peter gotch  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2024 14:47:12(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Karan

Some of the packages on offer for OSH professionals are derisory, BUT.....

The going rate depends on multiple factors including e.g. geography, along with experience, qualifications etc etc.

You don't even specify what "NEBOSH". 

If you think that just getting a NEBOSH General Certificate should get you a minimum of £45k, you are likely to be disappointed. 

Off the top of my head, I think that the median pay package in the UK for any type of job is currently at about £32k. Why would someone with a relatively low level OSH qualification have much higher expectations?

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
Yossarian on 28/06/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2024 14:58:12(UTC)
Roundtuit

General certificate is very much a bottom rung qualification with salaries up to £25K for advisors.

Roundtuit  
#4 Posted : 26 June 2024 14:58:12(UTC)
Roundtuit

General certificate is very much a bottom rung qualification with salaries up to £25K for advisors.

Kate  
#5 Posted : 26 June 2024 19:10:19(UTC)
Kate

I haven't been underpaid recently.  Mind you, I am a contractor who agrees a day rate and I have the NEBOSH Diploma (not certificate) and years of experience, plus the CMIOSH letters.

No way would £45k be the norm for an employee with a NEBOSH Certificate and no to little experience.

Perhaps your salary expectations are indeed set too high.

Also, the recruiters don't pay - they negotiate.

peter gotch  
#6 Posted : 28 June 2024 14:24:17(UTC)
peter gotch

Here's one where the bottom of the range is 45k and perhaps in terms of mainstream H&S quals a NEBOSH General might cut it.

Health and Safety Manager by Bryan & Armstrong in Oxford, Oxfordshire Ref: 221914097 (cv-library.co.uk)

BUT.....a few other things on the Person Specification wish list. 

I don't suppose my single visit to a project doing tunnelling with ground freezing would probably tick the "cryogenics" box.