Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
loucal31  
#1 Posted : 26 June 2024 13:41:30(UTC)
loucal31

Hello all just looking for some guidance on an issue that may come up on site dealing with a resident.

The firm I work for deals with stripping non-compliant cladding and installation of cladding and non-combustable materials. This included replacing any timber balcony decking with ali deck.

For this scope of work, scaffolding needs to be erected around the building and areas where this work is due to take place.

All the buildings my firm carries out work on are occupied. Part of our work is the need to restrict any resident balcony doors so that residents cannot access the scaffold/worksite. Also as work is being carried out on these balconies, we provide operatives with access to these via the scaffold.

On one of our sites, a resident on the roof terrace complained that his door was restricted and could not gain access to the terrace. He also claims that as the door has been restricted (Only able to open 4 inches for ventilation), It is causing the temperature of his residence to be unbearable.

This resident is elderly. My regional manager's stance is that the door will be restricted as there is scaffold on both sides of the terrace, and as implausible as it may be, one could gain access to the scaffold on both sides if they so wished.

My question is; is there a law for the maximum temperature inside someone's home, which is being affected due to construction work being carried out?

Im still quite new to the role of health and safety advisor (5 months) and any advice/answers would be much appriciated.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 26 June 2024 14:52:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

Your manager is totally out of order causing heat stress to an elderly resident.

The very young and very old have severe problems regulating their body temperature.

The whole point of the MET office yellow warning is so that adjustments can be made.

It could be argued that the works being undertaken have not been adequately planned - whilst the impact on direct employees has been contemplated the impact upon "others" i.e. the residents seems to have been overlooked.

Lets just hope the resident does not become a casualty or worse.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 26/06/2024(UTC), loucal31 on 27/06/2024(UTC), A Kurdziel on 26/06/2024(UTC), loucal31 on 27/06/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 26 June 2024 14:52:29(UTC)
Roundtuit

Your manager is totally out of order causing heat stress to an elderly resident.

The very young and very old have severe problems regulating their body temperature.

The whole point of the MET office yellow warning is so that adjustments can be made.

It could be argued that the works being undertaken have not been adequately planned - whilst the impact on direct employees has been contemplated the impact upon "others" i.e. the residents seems to have been overlooked.

Lets just hope the resident does not become a casualty or worse.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
A Kurdziel on 26/06/2024(UTC), loucal31 on 27/06/2024(UTC), A Kurdziel on 26/06/2024(UTC), loucal31 on 27/06/2024(UTC)
peter gotch  
#4 Posted : 26 June 2024 14:54:19(UTC)
peter gotch

Hi Loucal

Your first post, so welcome to the Forums.

There is no maximum temperature specificied in UK law for workers, let alone those impacted by work, so you will have to work from first principles.

One of those principles should indicate that if you are restricting a resident's ability to get natural ventilation to enable the temperature in their home to be kept at a reasonable level, then it is probably sensible to think about what to do to mitigate the risks that the work entails.

When your company bid for this work, this is one of the issues that should have been considered.

It's really not particularly different to Contractors complaining about it being difficult to keep trespassers from getting into refurbishment sites in urban areas - it's just one of those issues that should be in the mind when tendering and priced accordingly.

thanks 1 user thanked peter gotch for this useful post.
loucal31 on 27/06/2024(UTC)
Kate  
#5 Posted : 26 June 2024 19:19:45(UTC)
Kate

There is however guidance about health and safety standards of rented housing, which can be found here: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/reducing-the-risks-the-housing-health-and-safety-rating-system

Not sure how relevant this is to your scenario, but it could be a starting point for making an argument.

thanks 1 user thanked Kate for this useful post.
ohreally  
#6 Posted : 26 June 2024 22:27:30(UTC)
ohreally

I'm not clear on what the relationship is between you and the manager however I think a conversation needs to be had on  the issue.

Is the manager likely to be intransigent or may s/he be prepared to have a reasonable discussion on the matter?

Edited by user 26 June 2024 22:28:14(UTC)  | Reason: Typo

thanks 1 user thanked ohreally for this useful post.
loucal31  
#7 Posted : 27 June 2024 08:30:20(UTC)
loucal31

Thank you all for your assistance, I will have a discussion with my manager and also do further research on the subject. Again thank you all you've been a great help.

firesafety101  
#8 Posted : 27 June 2024 09:41:51(UTC)
firesafety101

Hi, in some countries they don't want doors and windows open due to the heat getting in but they have Air Con.

As a temporary fix you could supply a small portable air conditioner, I have one and it works just fine.  A small box that plugs in to the mains with containers inside that you fill with tap water.

I bought it from that large online store, about £30.