Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
AndyBrind  
#1 Posted : 01 July 2024 15:30:59(UTC)
AndyBrind

Hi all,

I've been asked to have a look into this subject by my employer as we have had a customer of ours reach out regarding the servicing of one of their motors, but it's not something that I'm overly sure of.

The customer has filled the motor with a chemical (the name  of which I may not be able to use due to it likely to trigger something on the back-end as it describes clothing worn by a specific occupation), but basically it is Monomer, Cyclohexanone and Acetic Acid.

The customer has offered to stip the motor and clean it as best as possible, but has asked if we have any decontamination facilities to be able to clean and overhaul the motor as they suspect the product will be in the windings, which we will be cutting into to re-wind as part of the servicing of the motor.

The data sheet that they have sent over to me identifies the hazard as an irritant.  We're currently looking at two options, that I'm hoping someone on here will be able to help with directing us in what would be the most suitable. 1) We decontaminate it ourselve into a sealed unit (e.g. an ICB) and then arrange for a hazardous waste company, or 2) we have the motor sent directly to a decontamination company who can clear it themselves and then it can be brought to us.

From how it has been described to me, it seems like it might only be trace amounts left in the motor, but obviously we want to do things properly.

Hope someone can help with guidance.  I am also reaching out to the customer to find out what their specific procedures are for handling this chemical as they have already explained that they've cleaned it as best they can.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2024 18:40:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

You are really seeking specific chemical advice which needs to come from someone who knows and understands the product - I would suggest you contact the manufacturer.

I say this as there is what you read on a data sheet which is about the material under supply and then what the material becomes when it has been used / reacted / mixed with other substances / exposed to air, moisture, heat, UV, cold.

If the material has been drawn in to a motor you can guarantee at minimum it has been exposed to heat and may have reacted with the copper windings.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 02/07/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 02/07/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 01 July 2024 18:40:10(UTC)
Roundtuit

You are really seeking specific chemical advice which needs to come from someone who knows and understands the product - I would suggest you contact the manufacturer.

I say this as there is what you read on a data sheet which is about the material under supply and then what the material becomes when it has been used / reacted / mixed with other substances / exposed to air, moisture, heat, UV, cold.

If the material has been drawn in to a motor you can guarantee at minimum it has been exposed to heat and may have reacted with the copper windings.

thanks 2 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 02/07/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 02/07/2024(UTC)