Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
emmet  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2024 15:34:07(UTC)
emmet

Hi,

I work at a Production site where there is no robust visible delivery vehicle management system in place. This leads to issues with congestion from too many deliveries / vehilces etc booked on site at the same time. 

Can anyone recommend a delivery management system which maybe useful? Something whcih each department can log into and check what times are available or not congested to book their deliveries?.

Thank you

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 03 July 2024 09:43:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

Surely this is a simple calendar with multiple access?

At least that is how one of my sites organises itself very much first to come with the request gets the slot.

Seen similar but an excel spreadsheet operated in sharepoint at another site.

Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 03 July 2024 09:43:57(UTC)
Roundtuit

At least that is how one of my sites organises itself very much first to come with the request gets the slot.

emmet  
#4 Posted : 03 July 2024 11:14:00(UTC)
emmet

Originally Posted by: Roundtuit Go to Quoted Post

Hi, in theory yes, it's been tried previously but didnt' work as well as hoped. Basically seeing if there a sortware which you can put limits onto specific times i.e. only three deliveries in a 90min period etc....

A Kurdziel  
#5 Posted : 03 July 2024 12:12:28(UTC)
A Kurdziel

I suspect that something like what you want, in the sense of a “Delivery vehicle management system” does not exist. I also suspect that person more IT literate than me could knock something up using fairly standard MS software.  This sort of software has loads of functionality, which most of us barely scratch. You don’t need expensive software systems; what you need is a techy nerd.  

thanks 1 user thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
peter gotch on 03/07/2024(UTC)
chris42  
#6 Posted : 03 July 2024 14:31:29(UTC)
chris42

I admire your belief that vehicles will turn up on time in a nice orderly fashion to be offloaded /loaded. However, I think reality is vehicles break down, get stuck in traffic, set off late for one reason or another or even never leaves due to driver illness. I agree with the above that something like a spreadsheet or calendar would be useful, but I also think you need wetware.

You need someone (emphasis on one) to coordinate these activities if as you imply you constantly are getting deliveries / or loading deliveries. Even then there will be times when vehicles turn up together etc. Perhaps you should be considering a parking area where each vehicle waits its turn.

I honestly don’t think that software will solve your problem.

Roundtuit  
#7 Posted : 03 July 2024 14:57:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

You set the calendar slots by loading time - at ours it was a 45 minute slot to give the driver time to close curtains and visit the loo before heading off (single site space for one vehicle at a time).

If you have more capacity in loading bays for example you simply add additional streams in the calendar or set by location.

At a sister company they are fortunate to have a goods in as well as goods out.

Roundtuit  
#8 Posted : 03 July 2024 14:57:42(UTC)
Roundtuit

You set the calendar slots by loading time - at ours it was a 45 minute slot to give the driver time to close curtains and visit the loo before heading off (single site space for one vehicle at a time).

If you have more capacity in loading bays for example you simply add additional streams in the calendar or set by location.

At a sister company they are fortunate to have a goods in as well as goods out.

Acorns  
#9 Posted : 04 July 2024 15:44:16(UTC)
Acorns

It’s as likely to be something you wil not like. Setting a specific delivery time is fine. Now how do you deal with an early / late arrival - chances are you’ll still want their goods or to take yours away, equally, how does the company deal when truck arrives and your staff are not immediately available yo deal with the truck and it then impacts on other arrivals?
If it’s so critical, do you have parking / waiting space that’s being used for non-operational things that are less critical? If so, then they have to go.
How will you truck operators respond to prescriptive delivery times? Can their contract charge you for delays or standing time?
Probably need more than a bit of software to make a positive change