Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dengland  
#1 Posted : 12 July 2024 13:02:53(UTC)
dengland

I have long understood that we shouldn't install covers over e/stop push buttons to inhibit activation.

Can anyone direct me to the standard where this is stated as I am getting push back from Operation on the hassle accidental activation can cause.

Thanks.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 12 July 2024 15:00:27(UTC)
Roundtuit

If it is truly accidental activation has the button been correctly located?

Some times a little change like rotating the mounting post by 90 degrees can solve the issue with free standing buttons adjacent to walkways.

Re-orientating the button to push down rather than push from the side avoids brush by contact.

Conversley if materials are placed or drop on to push downs turn them to push from the side e.g. on a control panel move them from the horizontal surface to a vertical one.

Are the buttons fully exposed or shrouded?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/push-button-guards-covers/8742406

I am going to ask where you have gained the opinion a button must always be exposed when the reality is it must be readily accessible which can inlcude flipping a cover for access.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 13/07/2024(UTC), Reggie3417 on 15/07/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 13/07/2024(UTC), Reggie3417 on 15/07/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 12 July 2024 15:00:27(UTC)
Roundtuit

If it is truly accidental activation has the button been correctly located?

Some times a little change like rotating the mounting post by 90 degrees can solve the issue with free standing buttons adjacent to walkways.

Re-orientating the button to push down rather than push from the side avoids brush by contact.

Conversley if materials are placed or drop on to push downs turn them to push from the side e.g. on a control panel move them from the horizontal surface to a vertical one.

Are the buttons fully exposed or shrouded?

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/push-button-guards-covers/8742406

I am going to ask where you have gained the opinion a button must always be exposed when the reality is it must be readily accessible which can inlcude flipping a cover for access.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 13/07/2024(UTC), Reggie3417 on 15/07/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 13/07/2024(UTC), Reggie3417 on 15/07/2024(UTC)