Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LorraineCFA  
#1 Posted : 23 July 2024 15:47:39(UTC)
LorraineCFA

I have a situation where there is a need to polish on a low torque almost hobby type lathe for the contours of the parts,  The lathe is too small for a tool post, and I have stopped the use of emery cloth polishing by hand near the rotating wheel.  They are saying that if they cannot polish the contours there will be a lot of scrap parts.  What would be the alternative?  Someone suggested using a strip of emery/sand paper approx 12 inches long - not looped around the fingers but held at each end and use the strip at a right angle to the tool needing polishing - that way if caught, the operator lets go.  

I have orderd the smallest tool on the market but think still think it is too big for this type of lathe and I need to do a tool box talk on safe use of this practice.  HSE states metal working or CNC lathers and not the smaller "hobby" type, however, this still goes at a speed that could cause a significant hand injury if contact made.  

chris42  
#2 Posted : 24 July 2024 09:45:20(UTC)
chris42

You can get emery stuck to a stick (backing board) for polishing, but you need to search for proper technique for using these. Could they be polished another way? Buffing wheel? But it may pay to investigate the initial cutting speeds and feeds to just machine a better finish to start with.

a lathe without a toolpost? is it for wood?