Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mncwf1  
#1 Posted : 26 July 2024 07:27:18(UTC)
Mncwf1

Good morning all.

Quick question as I am very much a learner still... Work are trying to arrange to have our compressor sited outside in a small metal shed rather than in the workshop.

Its pretty big and noisy and I am concerned there are limits to how much noise we are allowed to make outside. Also what doesn't help my worry is the simple metal shed that has been purchased is only going to reverbarate and make the noise seem worse.

Anyone know what kind of Db levels are4 involved? There is no houses near us only other workshops etc.

Roundtuit  
#2 Posted : 26 July 2024 08:17:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

One of the big suppliers Atlas Copco (others are available) talks of typical noise values of 85dB(A) which is probably a brand new well maintained machine.

By comparison typical road noise is between 68dB(A) car up to @ 78dB(A) Heavy Goods.

I would speculate an older machine, even in peak maintance will be noisier than 85dB(A).

Whilst you may not be in the immediate vicinity of housing with the right weather conditions certain noises can travel for miles and at night be considered a statutory nuisance. 

You talk of other units being nearby - if you rent your building you may wish to talk to the landlord as you may not have the rights to place the compressor outside and if you disturb others they will be getting the complaints from your neighbours.

Be aware that if you place the compressor between two buildings especially indutrial style units the noise could be significantly louder by cumulative effect as it bounces off the walls.

As to the tin shed fully agree this is not really a suitable "enclosure" being likely to only keep rain and snow off the unit.

Other issues to consider:

Ground condition - remember these things need lubricants which should not be permitted to permeate soil or enter ground water drainage. A thin skim of concrete is not suitable for vibrating plant to sit upon.

Temperature - most air compressors have water traps / vents which if outside uninsulated can freeze and possibly rupture. If it is a rotary vane style these are engineered to quite tight tolerances where the thermal expansion and contraction of being outside could reduce the working life / increase maintenance requirements.

Maintenance - is the proposed enclosure sufficiently sized to allow suitable personnel access all the way around the compressor.

Security - how do you stop unauthorised persons accessing & interfering with the compressor given you are on an open site.

There are of course many mitigations against noise and reverbaration:

A large concerete plinth.

Vibration damping floor mounts and pipe supports.

Insulated wall panels / lagging damping sheets for pipework.

A newer quieter compressor or multiple units servicing one or several tasks rather than the whole buiding.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 26/07/2024(UTC), Mncwf1 on 27/07/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 26/07/2024(UTC), Mncwf1 on 27/07/2024(UTC)
Roundtuit  
#3 Posted : 26 July 2024 08:17:45(UTC)
Roundtuit

One of the big suppliers Atlas Copco (others are available) talks of typical noise values of 85dB(A) which is probably a brand new well maintained machine.

By comparison typical road noise is between 68dB(A) car up to @ 78dB(A) Heavy Goods.

I would speculate an older machine, even in peak maintance will be noisier than 85dB(A).

Whilst you may not be in the immediate vicinity of housing with the right weather conditions certain noises can travel for miles and at night be considered a statutory nuisance. 

You talk of other units being nearby - if you rent your building you may wish to talk to the landlord as you may not have the rights to place the compressor outside and if you disturb others they will be getting the complaints from your neighbours.

Be aware that if you place the compressor between two buildings especially indutrial style units the noise could be significantly louder by cumulative effect as it bounces off the walls.

As to the tin shed fully agree this is not really a suitable "enclosure" being likely to only keep rain and snow off the unit.

Other issues to consider:

Ground condition - remember these things need lubricants which should not be permitted to permeate soil or enter ground water drainage. A thin skim of concrete is not suitable for vibrating plant to sit upon.

Temperature - most air compressors have water traps / vents which if outside uninsulated can freeze and possibly rupture. If it is a rotary vane style these are engineered to quite tight tolerances where the thermal expansion and contraction of being outside could reduce the working life / increase maintenance requirements.

Maintenance - is the proposed enclosure sufficiently sized to allow suitable personnel access all the way around the compressor.

Security - how do you stop unauthorised persons accessing & interfering with the compressor given you are on an open site.

There are of course many mitigations against noise and reverbaration:

A large concerete plinth.

Vibration damping floor mounts and pipe supports.

Insulated wall panels / lagging damping sheets for pipework.

A newer quieter compressor or multiple units servicing one or several tasks rather than the whole buiding.

thanks 4 users thanked Roundtuit for this useful post.
peter gotch on 26/07/2024(UTC), Mncwf1 on 27/07/2024(UTC), peter gotch on 26/07/2024(UTC), Mncwf1 on 27/07/2024(UTC)
Mncwf1  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2024 08:13:10(UTC)
Mncwf1

Much appreciated!

This is much as I suspected. Great of you to take the time, it has helped me consider how I will make notes for the guvnor and make my  recommendations.

thanks 1 user thanked Mncwf1 for this useful post.
peter gotch on 27/07/2024(UTC)